ADVERTISEMENT

7 on 7 - what's the point?

Golden Warrior

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2005
honest question here: what do teams get out of playing 7 on 7? to me, it is largely irrelevant to the actual game of football. i'm not trying to be a jerk here. just looking for honest feedback.

honest question here: what do teams get out of playing 7 on 7? to me, it is largely irrelevant to the actual game of football. i'm not trying to be a jerk here. just looking for honest feedback.

7 on 7 in the preseason is to get timing of pass routes and the passing game tuned up.

7 on 7 in the postseason is recruiting central.

If your team doesn't pass the ball then 7 on 7 doesn't make much sense.

Competition and execution. The results won't really translate however every chance you get to compete against someone else, you take it. If Illinois allowed scrimmages you probably would see 7on7's eliminated during the summer.

The club 7on7 is an attempt to capitalize financially similar to AAU.

all about seeing who can play and willing to compete. You may think you have a good WR or DB lets say but when you see the same kids of your own team day in and day out you get accustomed of what that player might do, but when you compete against someone you never seen before then its eye opening. So its good to get out on occasion and do 7on7 against other people to break up your practices

Reactions: Gene K. and MS4EVER
Yeah I ask the same question literally every off season about 7on7...it's about me getting to see kids in person and a chance to at least see some physical tools size etc in person....otherwise by this time of the year? Hard to really watch a lot of the same kids I've already watched for the previous 9 months.

Reactions: Gene K.
7 on 7 in the preseason is to get timing of pass routes and the passing game tuned up.
If your team doesn't pass the ball then 7 on 7 doesn't make much sense.

I always giggle when I hear Wilmington is going to a 7 on 7...Dempsay's dad told me that it gives them a lot of practice running their two pass plays...lol. He didn't know if there was a third pass play.:cool:

In reality, it is difficult for a double wing team to practice pass defense...7 on 7 gives them plenty of opportunity to practice. I didn't know if the 2014 championship team was capable of winning a title until they played an 8-0 Manteno week 9, as they didn't play a consistent passing attack until that week...

To elaborate: if your regular offense only has two pass plays, usually with only one end/receiver in the pattern after chipping on the play fake, your receivers don't have the experience to simulate the complex patterns regularly run from a four wide spread during practice. They can't simulate the timing or precise cuts...And if a receiver has a read in the spread, the double wing end probably doesn't understand the read and therefore can't test the DB. It why many double wing teams blitz a lot when playing a passing team - its easier to flush the QB and force a bad throw rather than try and cover...

Last edited:
Reactions: Golden Warrior
I feel like it gives much needed reps to WRs and DBs. Plus timing with QB. A lot has been learned over the years for us. Plus the conditioning always helps.
I am shocked that you were the only one in this group to say this. I agree 100% and that is the main reason for this. Repetition is everything in sports. All the good QB/WR combinations spend hours in repetition. And, as you said, it is very good for the DBs as well. I am all for it and the exercise is what a player and team makes of it.

McNamara and Wilmington did a 7 on 7 last night. Two power run offenses that lost all-state backs but return their QB's went at it...Zinanni mentioned that this scrimmage gives the Irish practice against pass plays out of the double wing - and practice against bootlegs, since Wilmo's primary pass play is a play action bootleg. Reents mentioned how it allows the Cats to practice different pass routes and defend against a team with bigger receivers...

How would you like to have a drink with those coaches after the scrimmage? Two Hall of Famers, six state titles, five runners up, 575+ wins...and probably the two programs that most dislike IC the last five years...

Mostly for QB and WR timing. Seeing how different route combinations look/work against different coverage's and schemes. Its also nice for the kids to be able to compete against someone other than their own defense day after day. Club 7v7 is just to keep the skill guys sharp in the off season. Receivers work on their routes, release off the line, finding soft spots in different coverage's. Quarterbacks get to throw in a live setting. Also kids get to compete with players from all over the country. (FLA, GA, TX, MD, CA,) ETC. Its the AAU of Football now.

Why aren't these 7 on 7 games televised in a area where there is such a great demand for it in Joliet?

Mostly because no one would watch. Kinda the same reason you don’t see the game of Horse Shoes on TV. The only people who care are the ones who are playing or their parents.:)

McNamara and Wilmington did a 7 on 7 last night. Two power run offenses that lost all-state backs but return their QB's went at it...Zinanni mentioned that this scrimmage gives the Irish practice against pass plays out of the double wing - and practice against bootlegs, since Wilmo's primary pass play is a play action bootleg. Reents mentioned how it allows the Cats to practice different pass routes and defend against a team with bigger receivers...

How would you like to have a drink with those coaches after the scrimmage? Two Hall of Famers, six state titles, five runners up, 575+ wins...and probably the two programs that most dislike IC the last five years...

One of my stepson's teammate's mother is a nurse at one of the hospitals in Kankakee. Last night we were talking at Purple & White night scrimmage, and she mentioned that she works with several people who have kids playing at Mac. They were telling her that apparently Wilmington is going to be really bad this year because they looked awful in the 7 on 7 on offense...

Obviously, not everyone who attends high school football games are well versed on what teams do...Not even the parents and players...

I am shocked that you were the only one in this group to say this. I agree 100% and that is the main reason for this. Repetition is everything in sports. All the good QB/WR combinations spend hours in repetition. And, as you said, it is very good for the DBs as well. I am all for it and the exercise is what a player and team makes of it.
MS4 has seen enough to know what makes a difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT