ADVERTISEMENT

618 Talk Week 4/5

Formicidae13

Aug 9, 2019
A thread to talk about some of the bigger teams in the 618(Southern Illinois).

O’Fallon vs Edwardsville delivers
The showdown between then undefeated Edwardsville and O’Fallon is a classic example of what makes high school football great with its big plays, drama and a comeback worth remembering.
With less than 5 minutes to play, the Panthers were on the wrong side of a 31-17 score. But quarterback Colt Michael rallied his troops for two touchdowns and threw a lead taking two point conversion to go up 31-30 with ~1:30 to play.
After trailing for the first time all night, the Tigers got a big jolt from Daion Gaston who returned the subsequent kickoff to midfield. The critical play of the drive came on a fourth and long when O’Fallon appeared to commit pass interference but a no call turned the ball over to run the clock out.
Here are the stat lines for the impressive quarterbacks: Edwardsville’s Curry 20/30 for 326 yards and 2 touchdowns/ O’Fallon’s Michael 24/37 for 390 yards and 3 touchdowns.
This marks the second win in a row for the Panthers after a 9 game skid against the Tigers.

Other Southwestern scores: Alton(1-3) 28-7 Belleville West(0-4) and East St. Louis(2-2) 57-0 Belleville East(2-2)

Waterloo knocks off Mascoutah
This game was on my upset radar, but I certainly didn’t see Waterloo being so dominant or winning in as high scoring of an affair as this one.
Mascoutah struck first in this one for a 6-0 lead, but Waterloo would respond with 28 consecutive points into the fourth quarter. The Indians pulled this one closer late, but never would get closer than the final score of 31-18.
What was the formula for Waterloo’s win? Run the ball and limit the big play.
Running back Evan Davis provided most of the offensive firepower for the Bulldogs after touting the rock 32 times on his way to 3 touchdowns and 179 yards.
This also marks Waterloo’s first win against any of the Mississippi Valley’s big three (Mascoutah/Highland/Triad) since 2016. Waterloo certainly can beat Triad and may give Highland a run for their money down the conference stretch.

Other Mississippi Valley scores: Triad(2-2) 49-0 Civic Memorial(1-3) and Highland(3-1) 61-19 Jerseyville(2-2)

Marion emerges from the crowd
Of the big three conferences in the 618, the South Seven has been the hardest to pick a winner so far. The Marion Wildcats delivered some clarity to that discussion with a 36-14 outing over Cahokia.
This game was 20-14 late in the fourth, but the Wildcats put an exclamation point on this game with two late touchdowns. Their 31 points against the Comanches is more impressive when you consider they only had 230 yards of offense and just one completion. The trio of Walker, Noelle and Larson looked impressive for the victors.

Other South Seven scores: Mt. Vernon(3-1) 68-41 Althoff(2-2) and Centralia(3-1) 27-21 Carbondale(1-3)

Can conference favorites survive big tests?

East St. Louis, Highland and Marion seem to be the best bets to win each of their respective conferences. Interestingly enough, I think they may all be facing their toughest test left this coming week. Here are some reasons to watch for an upset in each one:

Starting with the Flyers, they will be paying a visit to a 4-0 O’Fallon squad.
The Panthers key to winning this one is for quarterback Colt Michael to make some plays. East Side has shown to be stronger on defense this year than offense and it may not take as many points as normal to hang with the Flyers.

Highland will be at home this week for a battle with Triad. For those unfamiliar, these two schools have built a reputation for having one of, if not the biggest rivalry in Southern Illinois. The Knights have won the last three battles, but the Bulldogs took the previous four meetings. Games like these are always tricky to pick with emotions running high, even when Highland seems a clear favorite.

Marion will have Mt. Vernon is in town this week in what is an intriguing matchup. Both teams are coming off big wins where the forward pass seemed to be forgotten. The Rams are coming into this one with a lot to prove after being a doormat for the rest of the South Seven in recent years. Mt. Vernon has been fond of special teams trickery so far this season and if they can steal some possessions, Marion will be in for a metaphorically long night(this game probably won’t take long in real time with all the running of the ball).

Games to watch

Friday
Mt. Vernon(3-1) @ Marion(3-1) 7:00 pm
Triad(2-2) @ Highland(3-1) 7:00 pm

Saturday
East St.Louis(2-2) @ O’Fallon(4-0) 1:00 pm

Question of the week: Which underdog has the best chance of the three games?
My pick is Mt. Vernon

Cahokia starting qb was injured… but cahokia still threw the ball all over marion BUT yet Cahokia had 1 net rushing yard all game.. something to think about considering Mt.Vernon’s rushing attack plays into marion’s strong suit on defense

Reactions: Formicidae13
Cahokia starting qb was injured… but cahokia still threw the ball all over marion BUT yet Cahokia had 1 net rushing yard all game.. something to think about considering Mt.Vernon’s rushing attack plays into marion’s strong suit on defense
Highland rushed for 250 plus against Marion. Not sure if I will consider that a strong suit unless highland rushing attach is just unreal this year.

Highland rushed for 250 plus against Marion. Not sure if I will consider that a strong suit unless highland rushing attach is just unreal this year.
Highland definitely has some size on the line.

I still think it’s hard to compare anyone’s running game to Mt.Vernon though, they usually don’t have anyone out-wide. “Three yards and a cloud of dust” describes them pretty well, although they seem to break off a lot of long ones.

i watched that game and highland grabbed a 100 on 2nd and 3rd string.. but did everything they wanted to marion it happens but there’s 4 games to look at and marion’s strong suit is there front 4 and run d..

i watched that game and highland grabbed a 100 on 2nd and 3rd string.. but did everything they wanted to marion it happens but there’s 4 games to look at and marion’s strong suit is there front 4 and run d..
That makes sense. I was looking at Cahokia rushing and their games prior to Marion weren't that good. 93, 68 and 44 yards are not really good therefore I thought the results were more indicative of Cahokia's lack of run game.

That makes sense. I was looking at Cahokia rushing and their games prior to Marion weren't that good. 93, 68 and 44 yards are not really good therefore I thought the results were more indicative of Cahokia's lack of run game.
uhh yeah since you looked back and saw that they also lost twice pretty bad usally ur not going to have the best stats when that happen… idk what you mean buy any of that but regardless if you hold ur opponent to 1 rushing yrd it’s impressive

uhh yeah since you looked back and saw that they also lost twice pretty bad usally ur not going to have the best stats when that happen… idk what you mean buy any of that but regardless if you hold ur opponent to 1 rushing yrd it’s impressive
Not a big deal. The talk was about the upcoming game and the potential results. Hopefully it will be a good game. Good luck.

From what I’ve seen, I agree with @flyerforlife. I think this goes as far as the O-Line takes them. Wtbs, I think we would be better served in more pro set formations, ground and pound with the big guys upfront. Control the clock, rest the defense, and from my perspective the passing game has not materialized to the normal standard, RoadMap To Another State Championship

My picks have been way off lately as I had ESL over Creekside by a lot and I had O'Fallon beating Eville somewhat comfortably. With that being said, here goes:

ESL over O'Fallon (By a lot)

Highland over Triad (By a lot)

Mt. Vernon over Marion (super close)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT