ADVERTISEMENT

618 Talk: Playoff Edition

Formicidae13

Aug 9, 2019
This thread is dedicated to talk about 618(southern Illinois) teams and conferences.

I’ve bolded my pick for each game, but I could be convinced to switch a lot of these. That’s what I love about the postseason.

8A: #22 Edwardsville(6-3) @ #11 O’Fallon(8-1)
This is the headline matchup of the week and for good reason. The last time these two met, the Panthers came back from a 31-17 deficit to win 32-31. I would expect another great game here, but I do feel like the Tigers looked a little bit better last time. They’ll need to slow down O’Fallon quarterback Colt Michael to do so, however.

8A: #29 Belleville East(5-4) @ #4 South Elgin(9-0)
I think the Storm are weak for a fourth seed, based upon what I can find on them. Belleville East still seems to be a clear underdog however.

7A: #25 Bradley(5-4) @ #8 Collinsville(8-1)
Collinsville has found a lot more success in recent years, finishing 8-1 for the second year in a row. I think the Kahoks will have to wait for their first ever playoff win, considering Bradley just took Lincoln Way East to the brink.

6A: #11 Richards(6-3) @ #6 East St. Louis(7-2)
The Flyers are the 6A favorite. Are there teams that can beat them? Yes. Do I think Richards is one of them? No, especially not after a long bus ride.

5A: #12 Centralia(5-4) @ #5 Triad(7-2)
These teams have a few common opponents this year and those results mostly point towards Triad as the pick. I’ll take the Knights, but the Orphans could win this one. The key for a Centralia victory is a fast start, considering they seem to slow down in the second half.

5A: #15 Dunlap(5-4) @ #2 Highland(8-1)
Not sure what the deal was, but Highland is coming off of one of their worst outings. They still took down Effingham 34-20, so I wouldn’t hit the panic button. The Bulldogs have to love their draw, with a manageable first round and they would face a team they have running clocked already in round two.

5A: #10 Marion(6-3) @ #7 Mascoutah(6-3)
This may be the most even matchup of the week. These teams have a few common opponents, but nothing that sticks out. I’ll take the Indians, only because they have a strong home field advantage.

5A: #11 Mt. Vernon(5-4) @ #6 Kankakee(7-2)
Last week’s thread had a lot of talk about Mt. Vernon. My take: the Rams are the type of team capable of pulling off an upset thanks to their rare offensive scheme(splitting nobody outwide with the wishbone) and aggressive coaching. But I still don’t think they can take down a great Kays squad.

4A: #16 Geneseo(5-4) @ #1 Carterville(9-0)
I’ve not talked much about Carterville this year, but the Lions deserve some hype. 9-0 is impressive, no matter what people may say of your schedule. They have scored at least 28 points 8 times this year and have only allowed one opponent over 19 points(that came in a 49-28 win). The Maple Leafs are a tough draw for a 16 seed, but a very long drive will likely wear on them.

4A: #9 East Alton-Wood River(6-3) @ #8 Coal City(6-3)
The Oilers have been a fun team to follow this year. But I think their season will end against a strong Coal City team. I think we will see Coal City @ Carterville in round 2 and that figures to be a good one.

4A: #13 Effingham(5-4) @ #4 Rochester(8-1)
Rockets are certainly the favorite here. This matchup will probably be the closest we will get to an answer on Highland vs Rochester since they are in separate classes and we saw the Flaming Hearts against the Bulldogs last week.

4A: #12 Mt. Zion(6-3) @ #5 Breese(7-2)
This battle of Cougars and Braves figures to be competitive. Mt. Zion just lost to a meh Charleston team in week 8, so I'll take Breese in this one.

4A: #10 Waterloo(6-3) @ #7 Olney(7-2)
Waterloo has a much more impressive schedule and I think it will pay off here. In a normal 4A bracket, the Bulldogs might be able to make a deep run with their gritty play style. But unfortunately for the Bulldogs, one of their best teams in recent memory seems set to play SHG in round 2. At least they would host that matchup.

4A: #11 Columbia(6-3) @ #6 Murphysboro(7-2)
I don’t know a great deal about either of these squads, but the computers tell me to expect a good one. The Red Devils have had their share of postseason success in recent years and I’ll pick them based off of that.

2A: #14 Althoff(5-4) @ #3 Shelbyville(8-1)
This is the only game below 4A that I included because I have discussed the Crusaders plenty this year. I felt they could do some damage in 2A based off of their 4A/5A schedule, but I don’t love their draw. I’ll take them in an upset over the Rams and I expect the Nashville Hornets to be waiting in the next round.

This thread is dedicated to talk about 618(southern Illinois) teams and conferences.

I’ve bolded my pick for each game, but I could be convinced to switch a lot of these. That’s what I love about the postseason.

This is the headline matchup of the week and for good reason. The last time these two met, the Panthers came back from a 31-17 deficit to win 32-31. I would expect another great game here, but I do feel like the Tigers looked a little bit better last time. They’ll need to slow down O’Fallon quarterback Colt Michael to do so, however.

I think the Storm are weak for a fourth seed, based upon what I can find on them. Belleville East still seems to be a clear underdog however.

Collinsville has found a lot more success in recent years, finishing 8-1 for the second year in a row. I think the Kahoks will have to wait for their first ever playoff win, considering Bradley just took Lincoln Way East to the brink.

The Flyers are the 6A favorite. Are there teams that can beat them? Yes. Do I think Richards is one of them? No, especially not after a long bus ride.

These teams have a few common opponents this year and those results mostly point towards Triad as the pick. I’ll take the Knights, but the Orphans could win this one. The key for a Centralia victory is a fast start, considering they seem to slow down in the second half.

Not sure what the deal was, but Highland is coming off of one of their worst outings. They still took down Effingham 34-20, so I wouldn’t hit the panic button. The Bulldogs have to love their draw, with a manageable first round and they would face a team they have running clocked already in round two.

This may be the most even matchup of the week. These teams have a few common opponents, but nothing that sticks out. I’ll take the Indians, only because they have a strong home field advantage.

Last week’s thread had a lot of talk about Mt. Vernon. My take: the Rams are the type of team capable of pulling off an upset thanks to their rare offensive scheme(splitting nobody outwide with the wishbone) and aggressive coaching. But I still don’t think they can take down a great Kays squad.

I’ve not talked much about Carterville this year, but the Lions deserve some hype. 9-0 is impressive, no matter what people may say of your schedule. They have scored at least 28 points 8 times this year and have only allowed one opponent over 19 points(that came in a 49-28 win). The Maple Leafs are a tough draw for a 16 seed, but a very long drive will likely wear on them.

The Oilers have been a fun team to follow this year. But I think their season will end against a strong Coal City team. I think we will see Coal City @ Carterville in round 2 and that figures to be a good one.

Rockets are certainly the favorite here. This matchup will probably be the closest we will get to an answer on Highland vs Rochester since they are in separate classes and we saw the Flaming Hearts against the Bulldogs last week.

This battle of Cougars and Braves figures to be competitive. Mt. Zion just lost to a meh Charleston team in week 8, so I'll take Breese in this one.

Waterloo has a much more impressive schedule and I think it will pay off here. In a normal 4A bracket, the Bulldogs might be able to make a deep run with their gritty play style. But unfortunately for the Bulldogs, one of their best teams in recent memory seems set to play SHG in round 2. At least they would host that matchup.

I don’t know a great deal about either of these squads, but the computers tell me to expect a good one. The Red Devils have had their share of postseason success in recent years and I’ll pick them based off of that.

This is the only game below 4A that I included because I have discussed the Crusaders plenty this year. I felt they could do some damage in 2A based off of their 4A/5A schedule, but I don’t love their draw. I’ll take them in an upset over the Rams and I expect the Nashville Hornets to be waiting in the next round.

Overall great analysis, except Althoff will loose by at least 2 TD's to Shelbyville, Althoff isn't great for any post season class 1A - 5A, when drawing a good first round team like Shelbyville, but they probably won't make the final in 2A, and I'll take Belleville East and Centralia.

Reactions: Formicidae13
Overall great analysis, except Althoff will loose by at least 2 TD's to Shelbyville, Althoff isn't great for any post season class 1A - 5A, when drawing a good first round team like Shelbyville, but they probably won't make the final in 2A, and I'll take Belleville East and Centralia.
If I were betting money, I would take Shelbyville cause I think they are the better team. I picked Althoff just to throw an underdog into my picks and being optimistic that the 618 could steal one.
Belleville East is in a similar situation in my mind, I'd be happy if we see at least one of the Belleville schools get through round 1.

1. O'Fallon - A few weeks ago I wouldn't have hesitated to pick Edwardsville in a rematch, but in recent weeks Edwardsville has shown itself to be inconsistent, while O'Fallon has still been playing pretty close to their potential. Plus Eville's starting running back was injured in the first half of the CBC game and if he's still out this week, the game could turn out to be less competitive.
2. Marion
3. Breese
4. Triad

1. O'Fallon - A few weeks ago I wouldn't have hesitated to pick Edwardsville in a rematch, but in recent weeks Edwardsville has shown itself to be inconsistent, while O'Fallon has still been playing pretty close to their potential. Plus Eville's starting running back was injured in the first half of the CBC game and if he's still out this week, the game could turn out to be less competitive.
2. Marion
3. Breese
4. Triad
Although that may be true for the regular season, this OFallon coaching staff have yet to win a playoff game. This will make things interesting regardless of what kid is playing running back. Will be interesting to see who will come out on top.

2. Marion
3. Breese
4. Triad
What’s the source on that?

2. Marion
3. Breese
4. Triad
No mention of ofallon second best receiver being out for year?

Although that may be true for the regular season, this OFallon coaching staff have yet to win a playoff game. This will make things interesting regardless of what kid is playing running back. Will be interesting to see who will come out on top.
I think that playing a familiar local opponent could potentially ease the burden of not having won a playoff game for O'Fallon. And Eville's starting back is definitely not a game changer like some of the offensive weapons that the program has had in the past, but with the offense being as limited as it already is, not having him does hurt a bit.

The Geneseo-Carterville game is at 1:00 p.m. Saturday. At what time will the Maple Leafs have to board the bus?

I would think they would come down at least partway Friday night. 5 hour trip.
Wow, it's 320 miles the most direct route through Springfield, rated at 5-1/2 hours, or through Champaign, more interstate at 351 miles but still 5.5 hours. I didn't realize Geneseo was outside of Davenport, Iowa

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
I think that playing a familiar local opponent could potentially ease the burden of not having won a playoff game for O'Fallon. And Eville's starting back is definitely not a game changer like some of the offensive weapons that the program has had in the past, but with the offense being as limited as it already is, not having him does hurt a bit.
He played in a cast the first game so I don't think they are missing much however, healthy without a cast would make him a game changer probably.

He played in a cast the first game so I don't think they are missing much however, healthy without a cast would make him a game changer probably.
In my opinion, O'Fallon is a better team than Jackson (week 1). We also got to see how things turned out for Edwardsville when, after the injury, they tried to be a predominantly pass team in the 2nd half of the CBC game. As I mentioned before, I think O'Fallon is the more consistent team and so even if Eville's RB is healthy, I think O'Fallon takes it in a competitive game. If he's still hurt, it may not be all that competitive.

lmao it amazes me they are 4a (carterville)
That area has seen explosive growth in the past 10-15 years. I think They got a new school. I know they have a new turf field. Popular area for those not wanting to be in Marion or Carbondale. They quickly outgrew the Black Diamond conference and are now at the top half of the SIRR most years. Great senior class. Probably a drop off after this year.

Collinsville gets in done after stuffing a two point try from Bradley to win 14-12. First playoff win ever for the Kahoks.
Belleville East falls just short at 28-20.
Highland has a running clock at the half over Dunlap.
Happy for Collinsville. A great win for their program, which I hope continues to improve. Also happy for the Highland victory and a good showing from Belleville East.

Reactions: jha618
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT