ADVERTISEMENT

5A will ruin my chances!!

MS4EVER

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2004
Need help with my 5A bracket! I seriously have zero clue. I mean zero! Please help with any opinions.

Need help with my 5A bracket! I seriously have zero clue. I mean zero! Please help with any opinions.
I've seen Morris (extremely solid on both sides of the ball), Kankakee (a very good team, speed at every position)

Good friend saw Fenwick (very physical and has size and speed in all the right places)

I've seen Morris (extremely solid on both sides of the ball), Kankakee (a very good team, speed at every position)

Good friend saw Fenwick (very physical and has size and speed in all the right places)
Thank you

Lot of Morris love by prognosticators that I think is based on historical performance. I've seen them play, a nice team with an athletic QB. That being said, this isn't your Morris team of yesteryear. Their best victories are over a 3 loss Sycamore and a 3 loss Kaneland and 3 loss Coal City. The Interstate EIght is not your beastly NCIC with Geneseo, Sterling, etc of the old days. There are a lot of cream puffs in the I-8. From what I see in their results and in person, a state championship caliber team? I don't think so.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
Morris has a tougher path to the semis than Kankakee, I’d be willing to bet more on the Kays to play after Thanksgiving based on that.
Looking at the south bracket more, the top half(with Kankakee) is much more about speed and athletes. The lower half(with Morris) has a lot more of the physical, ground and pound it out squads. Semifinal game should be a nice clash of styles unless somebody really under the radar breaks through.

Lot of Morris love by prognosticators that I think is based on historical performance. I've seen them play, a nice team with an athletic QB. That being said, this isn't your Morris team of yesteryear. Their best victories are over a 3 loss Sycamore and a 3 loss Kaneland and 3 loss Coal City. The Interstate EIght is not your beastly NCIC with Geneseo, Sterling, etc of the old days. There are a lot of cream puffs in the I-8. From what I see in their results and in person, a state championship caliber team? I don't think so.
While I don’t disagree with most of your post, I think this is the best team Morris has had in the last 10 years. That includes the 12 and 17 state runner up teams. If Morris can limit the stupid penalties that they tend to get they should IMO get to dekalb.

I th
Morris has a tougher path to the semis than Kankakee, I’d be willing to bet more on the Kays to play after Thanksgiving based on that.
Looking at the south bracket more, the top half(with Kankakee) is much more about speed and athletes. The lower half(with Morris) has a lot more of the physical, ground and pound it out squads. Semifinal game should be a nice clash of styles unless somebody really under the radar breaks through.
I think that is backwards IMO. Kankakee has Peoria and mascoutah those are 2 good programs in that bracket. I feel Morris has the easier path to the semis. I just don’t see anyone other than possibly LP (since they just played 2 weeks ago) of getting within 2 tds of Morris in their first 3 games
I have Sycamore/fenwick- fenwick
Kankakee/Morris- Morris
Morris wins for their coaches first state championship

Last edited:
Reactions: Formicidae13
That could be a long bus ride to Highland come round two. Highland has played a tough schedule this year and I think it has shown as the year has gone on. They did beat undefeated mascoutah in week 8. All losses are to playoff teams.

6A Washington 30-20 week 1
7A Edwardsville 41-33 week 2
5A Marion 48-28 week 3
5A Triad 31-26 week 5

Get past Morton Friday night and we may get to see a good game…. Or it could be blowout. 😅 who knows?

Reactions: Formicidae13
I8 is down this year for sure, but those same schools you mentioned were pretty beastly during the NIBXII days not to long ago with either Kaneland, Sycamore, and/or Morris all reaching the Semi's almost every year and the East division dominated the West division every year with the exception of Sterling.

Morris has a good team with a big line. They limit the turnovers and they'll be a tough out for anyone.

Reactions: stl705
1. Kankakee (beat 6A Crete-Monee to win the conference championship)
2. Fenwick (beat 6A St. Ignatius to win the conference championship)
3. Morris (unbeaten team with great tradition)
4. Nazareth (early losses don't look so bad in retrospect)
5. Mascoutah (beat Joliet Catholic two years ago to make the 5A semifinals)
6. Marmion (not a championship threat, but very solid)
7. Sycamore (two of their three losses were against teams that finished the regular season unbeaten)
8. Marion (had only one bad game all year, but it was bad) [against Cahokia]
9. Mahomet-Seymour (don't let the gaudy record fool you, the conference is weak)
10. Glenbard South (the Upstate Eight is poor, but this is 5A not 8A)

The computer ratings indicate Fenwick is better than Kankakee; but 65% of the state champions over the last six years have been unbeaten whereas only 12.5% have had two or more losses. Still, there is no prohibitive favorite. Kankakee last made the semifinals in 2008.

I th

I think that is backwards IMO. Kankakee has Peoria and mascoutah those are 2 good programs in that bracket. I feel Morris has the easier path to the semis. I just don’t see anyone other than possibly LP (since they just played 2 weeks ago) of getting within 2 tds of Morris in their first 3 games
I have Naz/fenwick- fenwick
Kankakee/Morris- Morris
Morris wins for their coaches first state championship
I think Triad and Highland are both better than Mascoutah right now. Mascoutah would be my favorite in the south if they were healthy, but they aren’t. But hey, this is why they play the games. Hopefully there are some good games on both sides

I8 is down this year for sure, but those same schools you mentioned were pretty beastly during the NIBXII days not to long ago with either Kaneland, Sycamore, and/or Morris all reaching the Semi's almost every year and the East division dominated the West division every year with the exception of Sterling.

Morris has a good team with a big line. They limit the turnovers and they'll be a tough out for anyone.
But what do you know?😁

• Haha
Reactions: tincup1215
I think Triad and Highland are both better than Mascoutah right now. Mascoutah would be my favorite in the south if they were healthy, but they aren’t. But hey, this is why they play the games. Hopefully there are some good games on both sides
I could see mascoutah deploying a bigger wildcat package featuring Allen Middleton much like they did in 2009 with Matt Milton. He is a special talent that needs as many touches as he can get every game. Maybe not in round 1 vs Dunlap but should they go to round 2 I’m sure they will have something for Marion or Metamora.

Yes i’m an Upstate 8 idiot/fan lol, I still think Glenbard South has a very good and very dangerous team. Will they potentially beat Morris if they meet? Not sure but think it would be a great game! Dont sleep on GBS, they have some talent.

One DEEP sleeper from the Interstate 8, 5-4 Lasalle Peru against Morris round 1.. not saying LP will win but I think itll be closer than everyone predicts.

Last edited:
One DEEP sleeper from the Interstate 8, 5-4 Lasalle Peru against Morris round 1.. not saying LP will win but I think itll be closer than everyone predicts.
Would be shocking. LP lost to the 31-7 in week 8 at home.

Would be shocking. LP lost to the 31-7 in week 8 at home.

I understand and not predicting a win for LP, but I think game could be close heading into 2nd half at least. Then again this morris team has been clicking.

I understand and not predicting a win for LP, but I think game could be close heading into 2nd half at least. Then again this morris team has been clicking.
I was at that game. It was close at halftime. I've never seen so many penalties and turnovers. LPs offense was anemic or it would have been closer. Morris struck me as a team with no RB. A lot on the back of their QB with a lot of carries.

Reactions: stl705
My thoughts exactly, Morris is solid but havint really played anyone, and they got a great draw in their bracket to the final game, that’s why I picked them to make it to Dekalb but will be state runner up

I think the winner of 5A comes out of that group with Fenwick, Naz and Marmion. I think that Naz/Marmion game if it happens will be a good one.

In my weekly power rankings, I've been touting the Cadets as a sleeper title contender for a while. They played both Iggy and Fenwick VERY close.

Reactions: eireog
Yes i’m an Upstate 8 idiot/fan lol, I still think Glenbard South has a very good and very dangerous team. Will they potentially beat Morris if they meet? Not sure but think it would be a great game! Dont sleep on GBS, they have some talent.

Was everyone predicting Morris to win 60-0? If so you nailed it.

Reactions: McEvergreen
Thats why they were a deeeep sleeper lol, was 14-0 at half, close enuff as i expected at that point but yes Morris did turn on the gas 2nd half and make it a blowout.

Reactions: Nit92
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT