ADVERTISEMENT

5 Questions for the 2020 CCL/ESCC Green

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
5 Questions for the 2020 CCL/ESCC Green Conference

So who will win the CCL/ESCC Green in 2020?

Again this is another CCL/ESCC conference that could end up going a few different ways, yet since I'm asking I'll say St. Rita will be the preseason favorite. The Mustangs and head coach Todd Kuska are coming off an impressive run (especially later in the season) and losing to Rochester in the 2019 5A state title game. The Mustangs have star power in junior RB Kaleb Brown along with plenty of additional game breakers on offense including senior RB/DB Kyle James, senior WR Henry Wilson Jr., senior WR Isaiah Bragg and a big and physical offensive line spearheaded by senior Bodie Turner (Ill State) plus junior OT Valen Erickson. The defense also has experience back led by senior LB Michael Gaughan and the defensive secondary group that will be a strength in 2020. Quarterback? That's been the annual question and issue facing the Mustangs since the olden days....and both senior QB Brian Johnson and junior QB Tommy Ulatowski return this season. Finding a steady and consistent passing threat is priority number one for the Mustangs this summer and could be the difference maker this season.

Who finishes in last place in the 2020 CCL/ESCC Green?

All four teams are talented, all four teams will end up in the state playoff field and at least one will be in serious contention for a state title in 2020. So much like several other 4 team CCL/ESCC divisions, the Green is also very similar where you can go truly with any team to either win first or last in the conference race and make a strong argument in either direction. If I'm thrown up against a wall and forced to make a last place pick here? I'll go with Providence Catholic reluctantly. The Celtics bring back some big keys including junior RB Aaron Vaughn Jr. senior QB Kevin Conway and standout Minnesota commit TE/DE Jameson Geers. The Celtics also welcome back 5 starters on defense so again this won't be a down team whatsoever. The biggest issue/question for the Celtics? Can the Celtics reload on the offensive line in 2020 after having to replace 5 graduated starters this summer, and how impacted has Provi been so far due to outgoing transfers this summer? The Transfer Portal has been discussing the Celtics quite a bit this summer. Ironically, Notre Dame also looks to be in a similar spot as Providence here having just one starter back upfront in junior Tommy Shipman and I'm also considering the Dons for the last slot as well.

Which CCL/ESCC Green teams will be ranked in the 2020 Preseason EDGYTIM Chicagoland Top 30 poll?

Two....for now. St. Rita is the conference pick and will end up making the Top 10 range and also Montini Catholic will end up in the Top 12-20 range...that is for now without me actually sitting down and sorting the Top 30 out (which will happen very soon).

Who are the preseason favorites to be the 2020 CCL/ESCC Green MVP?

I feel that the early favorite will be St. Rita junior RB Kaleb Brown who was also just terrific in 2019 as well. Montini has some beef back upfront on offense and look out for sophomore QB Tre Jones who is already holding an early offers from Arizona State and South Florida. If Jones can settle into the Broncos offense quickly he has a chance at putting up some big numbers this fall. Providence has the weapons on offense starting with QB Kevin Conway and RB Aaron Vaughn Jr., yet could Jameson Geers also end up being an MVP if he plays anywhere near what he did in 20129 on both sides of the football? Notre Dame has a dynamic QB in Anthony Sayles who is drawing recruiting attention in both football and hoops...yet the Dons bread and butter is the running game and they have a stable of capable backs to watch this season in senior Jimmie Fidanzia and senior Garrett Dorsen.

Who is the toughest non CCL/ESCC Green teams on each program's 2020 schedule?

St. Rita- Week 2 versus Cardinal Ritter then Week 3 hosting Loyola.

Montini Catholic- Week 1 vs Batavia and Week 2 versus Mount Carmel

Notre Dame- Week 3 versus Marist and Week 8 @ Nazareth Academy

Providence Catholic- Week 1 versus Willowbrook and Week 3 versus Brother Rice

Reactions: BListon68
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News