ADVERTISEMENT

5 Questions for the 2020 CCL/ESCC Blue

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
The beginning odf what will be an exceptionally busy/information loaded preseason coverage starts today. The goal is to have two of these a day or 10 per week and feel free to add any additional thoughts/questions etc.

5 Questions for the 2020 CCL/ESCC Blue

So who ends up in last place in the CCL/ESCC Blue in 2020?

Well...that's one heck of a question. The CCL/ESCC Blue will be as stacked as ever and the 2020 conference could very well bring home multiple state titles. Looking back at the conference in 2019 Mount Carmel won it all and posted undefeated 14-0 season and a perfect 3-0 record in the CCL/ESCC Blue. Yet looking harder the wins in conference didn't come easy for the Caravan including close wins over Loyola and Marist. 2020? Look for all four teams to become playoff bound with plenty of winnable games as conference crossovers, But who's the last place team? I see a similar scenario in 2020 to what we saw in 2019, which is one tam will win the conference and see a few schools battle for the remaining spots. If I'm thrown up against a wall and made to pick one team in last place? Ok I'll say (for now) Brother Rice...but I also see the Crusaders getting into the state playoff field and making a possible deep run so...but again I don't feel great about that pick...but someone has to end up last here.

Can the last place team from the CCL/ESCC Blue win a state title in 2020?

Yes. Everyone knows that every team in the CCL/ESCC Blue comes out playoff tested as anyone. The season is long and a lot of things can and will happen. Injuries, grade issues, the entire ongoing COVID19 deal etc. things will be as up in the air on several levels. So above I selected Brother Rice (reluctantly) to finish last in the CCL/ESCC Blue. The Crusaders have a big time on the rise QB in junior Jack Lausch, a D1 running back in Willie Shaw III along with a D1 receiver in Dwayne Moorhead. Mix in three starting OL back from a season ago plus a defense with star power with LB Myles Jones and experience. So even if this team ends up in last place in the conference, they will be as dangerous as anyone in Class 8A. Even if the last place team ends up being MC, Loyola or Marist...all four teams will be very, very strong come state playoff time.

Can/Will all four CCL/ESCC Blue teams be ranked in the Preseason EDGYTIM Chicagoland Top 10?

I'm really, really, really considering starting off all four teams in the Top 10. And why not? All four teams have talent, all four teams have deep rosters with a ton of varsity experience back this fall. Sure, someone is going to lose and lose a few games in the regular season...and I'm sure one or more CCL/ESCC Blue teams will move in and out of the Top 10 during the season. Sure I will catch crap for it and be assumed of being an CCL/ESCC homer...but whatever. If it's not four teams in the Top 10 from the CCL/ESCC Blue to start the season...I can almost guarantee (I haven't sat down and physically worked out the Top 30 just yet) that all four teams will be Top 15 ranked in the Preseason Top 30 poll.

Is Mount Carmel the favorite to win the 2020 CCL/ESCC Blue?

Yes. Again I can see a lot of things shake out for the 2020 season and as mentioned above all four teams can either win the conference or finish last. Yet the Caravan played so well in 2019 from wire to wire and welcome back a ton of key impact players this fall. Starting on offense the Caravan are led by with QB Juston Lynch (Temple) and do it all RB/LB Kenenna Odeluga is a key along with WR Jaali Parker (WMU) and also keep an eye on senior WR Jack Butcher plus three starting offensive linemen return this fall. The defense also has play makers with senior S Ben Perry (Louisville), S Sam Dell Valle, two way starter LB Kenenna Odeluga plus LB Austin Maciel Heygood, junior DB JT Harris and LB Tommy Egan. The Caravan also had an impressive group of underclassmen waiting in the wings. The biggest question for the Caravan this summer? Can the Caravan reload on the defensive line? Regardless, the Caravan get respect and start the season as the conference favorites in my eyes.

Toughest non conference regular season game for each CCL/ESCC Blue school in 2020?

Brother Rice
- honestly I can see good games at Hillcrest in Week 1, at Providence Catholic in Week 3 then hosting Joliet Catholic in Week 5. But overwhelming games? No. For now I see the Crusaders as favorites in all three games.

Marist- Week 7 at Nazareth Academy. You can definitely make a case for Week 2 against Lake Zurich, Week 3 at Niles Notre Dame and Fenwick in Week 5 could be more interesting than many might realize for now...but the annual showdown against Naz is always entertaining. Nazareth was able to finally beat Marist last season for the first time in a while...but can Nazareth get it done again in 2020 minus QB JJ McCarthy (IMG) and TE Landon Morris (moved to Indiana) along with anyone else who transfers out?

Mount Carmel- Either Week 2 hosting Phillips or Week 3 at Montini. The Phillips game will no question draw a crowd and the Wildcats will again be strong in 2020, while Montini will look towards a sophomore QB in Tre Jones who will have four starting OL back protecting him along with a strong core of backs and receivers in house. The Broncos defense welcomes back 5 starters and will again be a good test for the Caravan in 2020.

Loyola Academy- Week 2 at St. Rita. Week 1 is no question interesting with the Ramblers having added Simeon but the St. Rita game will be just as interesting and it's also on the road in Chicago. The Ramblers always strong defense will be tested by the St. Rita running game led by Kaleb Brown and the Mustangs have plenty of talent and depth again in 2020 after making a 5A state title game appearance last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News