ADVERTISEMENT

4 win teams in playoffs

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
So I know it has been mentioned but I don't think discussed in detail. Is it true or predicted to be true that 4 win teams will qualify for the playoffs? What is the reasoning? Less programs participating this year? I remember seeing a conference winner with only 4 wins qualify out of a small conference a few years back but don't remember it happening more than once or twice.

Seems like it has happened a few times but usually this gets all sorted out through week 9.

The way the idea was pitched to me was simply less IHSA 11 man football teams these days with the same number of playoff qualifiers

So I know it has been mentioned but I don't think discussed in detail. Is it true or predicted to be true that 4 win teams will qualify for the playoffs? What is the reasoning? Less programs participating this year? I remember seeing a conference winner with only 4 wins qualify out of a small conference a few years back but don't remember it happening more than once or twice.
Joliet West qualified in 2019 at 4-5 as a conference champ (8A).

Steve Soucie is continually beating the drum that 4-5 teams are getting in this year. If you don’t subscribe to his Friday Night Drive you’re missing out. I could copy n paste what he says but I think that’s breaking some unwritten rules😂😂😂

The SWSC Red will have either a 4 or 5 win team make the playoffs this year. LWW or Andrew most likely

it will happen this year due to covid forfeits and more losses than wins overall. question is how many

Looks good for 4-5 LWW and St. Charles north to get in.

it will happen this year due to covid forfeits and more losses than wins overall. question is how many

I don't see how there can be more losses than wins. Doesn't a forfeit loss for one team count as a win (due to the forfeit) for another team? Or, is it the case that a team that would have received a win by forfeit gives up that win when it schedules an actual replacement game? For example, team A forfeits to team B. Team Y forfeits to team Z. Teams B and Z decide to play each other to replace the forfeited games, and team Z wins. Would that result in the following records for the week? Team A (0-1); team B (0-1); team Y (0-1); and team Z (1-0)

If that is the case, then I suppose I can see how there could be an imbalance between wins and losses. Otherwise, there has to be a win for every loss.

Reactions: Solid Snake Pliskin
I don't see how there can be more losses than wins. Doesn't a forfeit loss for one team count as a win (due to the forfeit) for another team? Or, is it the case that a team that would have received a win by forfeit gives up that win when it schedules an actual replacement game? For example, team A forfeits to team B. Team Y forfeits to team Z. Teams B and Z decide to play each other to replace the forfeited games, and team Z wins. Would that result in the following records for the week? Team A (0-1); team B (0-1); team Y (0-1); and team Z (1-0)

If that is the case, then I suppose I can see how there could be an imbalance between wins and losses. Otherwise, there has to be a win for every loss.
There are other examples, but Rochester when they played Loyola. Instead of two forfeit wins and 2 losses, there ends up 1 win/3 losses

There are less than 500 teams playing 11 man IHSA eligible football this year. 256 qualifiy. There will be 4-5. It is simple math. Two years ago there was around 520.

SCN at 4-5 will be between 12-15 of the 4-5 teams with playoff points. So I don' think they have a chance. LWW is below them.

I remember years and years ago the IHSA had to re-seed an entire bracket because they left out a 4 win conference champ. Can't remember the year....

This doesn't look very good anymore after the way CPS set up week 9. Probably 2 or 3.

Using Massey to predict this week, 9 teams got in at 4-5 and 66 got in at 5-4. That is just under 30% of the field, so we could certainly see some runs from these teams again

SCN at 4-5 will be between 12-15 of the 4-5 teams with playoff points. So I don' think they have a chance. LWW is below them.

you are right. SCN's OOC schedule took some losses in the past couple weeks likely knocking them out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT