ADVERTISEMENT

4-5 or 5-4 teams Playoffs

corey90

Aug 27, 2005
Crown Point, IN
Reading posts about possible 4-5 or 5-4 teams making the playoffs, it got me thinking has their ever been a team in any class win a State Championship? I am curious if it has ever happened especially a 4-5 team.

Reading posts about possible 4-5 or 5-4 teams making the playoffs, it got me thinking has their ever been a team in any class win a State Championship? I am curious if it has ever happened especially a 4-5 team.
I know JCA and Montini won at 5-4. Don’t think w 4-5 ever has.

Reactions: Bowie50 and Gene K.
Pretty amazing a 5-4 team has won it all. It’s a long shot at best but if the stars align just right it’s not impossible. I guess that’s why they say you just got to get in to win. Anything can happen. This year has been weird and the playoffs should be fun to watch.

Different topic but in 2016 MS was 6-3 and a 26 seed. The combined records of the teams they beat were 52-3. I’m wondering if anyone has ever faced a tougher bracket? Three of the teams were undefeated!

Reactions: Gene K.
Different topic but in 2016 MS was 6-3 and a 26 seed. The combined records of the teams they beat were 52-3. I’m wondering if anyone has ever faced a tougher bracket? Three of the teams were undefeated!
In 1986, Rock Island Alleman beat 4 undefeated teams in the Class 4A (of 6 at that time) playoffs before falling in the title game (to a 2-loss team).

Last edited:
Reactions: MS4EVER
Impressive indeed. I was always impressed by Naperville North’s run in ‘93. Maybe @NNFAN can add context but their run ran through some blue bloods and averaged about a 5pt. difference each round:
home DGS 31-25
At SR 23-20
At NC 31-28
home WV 15-13
State Championship vs LA 21-11

I am okay with that, I don’t believe teams with a losing record should be in the playoffs.
He was so positive about 4-5's making it I was convinced by it. But I am in agreement, 5-4 should be the limit.

Reactions: corey90
Bottom line is at this point of the season EVERY TEAM is UNDEFEATED! Seeds don’t win games! There are some dangerous 5-4 teams!

Reactions: corey90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT