ADVERTISEMENT

30 year plus coaching legends

gags33

Gold Member
Sep 12, 2018
I graduated in 1987 from Addison Trail High School. Paul Parpet was my head coach..He was head coach there for 30 some years.He was also the head varsity baseball coach for many years.. I recently learned he is still coaching football, head coach at Lisle now. Prior to head coaching at Lisle, he assisted for some years at DGN.. In addition I think he still helps out at DGS with baseball..I thought about that man a lot over the years. And now that I have 2 boys in high school football and one more next year, I think about him even more. His go to line before every game was " I'd give my left nut to be able to do what you boys get to do. I'd give my left nut to play again on that field" The more time goes by the more I think about that..I use that line on my kids now. Great coach..great man who has dedicated his life to high School sports.

Congrats to his Lisle Lions. Already have wrapped up their division of the I-8. Good squad this year.

Reactions: gags33
Who are some of the coaches still doing it after 30/40 + years?

Rich Zinanni, Bishop McNamara, since 1975....5 titles, 3 seconds, started season with 341 wins...353 and another trophy possible this year...

Jeff Reents, Wilmington, since 1994...his tenure alone is impressive, but combine it with Howard Becker 1965-93....Wildcat coaches stick around...Becker with Rob Murphy same combo with wrestling - and Murphy has been Reents defensive coordinator since then...

Brian Spooner, Clifton Central, 21 years...

end of the 20+ list in the Kankakee area...

Not all as a HC but Ron Muhitch at WWS has been around forever.

DC from 1980- 2001
4 State Titles, 2 Runners Up

HC from 2002- Current
3 State Titles, 2 Runner Up

Overall Program Record since he started 317-121

Reactions: atsirabb
Rich Zinanni, Bishop McNamara, since 1975....5 titles, 3 seconds, started season with 341 wins...353 and another trophy possible this year...

Jeff Reents, Wilmington, since 1994...his tenure alone is impressive, but combine it with Howard Becker 1965-93....Wildcat coaches stick around...Becker with Rob Murphy same combo with wrestling - and Murphy has been Reents defensive coordinator since then...

Brian Spooner, Clifton Central, 21 years...

end of the 20+ list in the Kankakee area...

Becker stuck around yes, but he didn't have a winning record.......I get it sometimes people are legends just by the years they put in, but looks like he had some very mediocre and overall bad years. And as far as I know Murphy is not the defensive coordinator.....at least he wasn't when I was in school there. Reents is/was the Defense guy!

Not so much win loss records matter. But the amount of time that they put in to be be a positive influence on the boys and have a lasting effect on them. The guys who put 30+ years into coaching football pretty much dedicated their lives to it.

Another great coach/great person....Phil Kardasz. Started coaching in 1965 at Maine West. Was part of several state championships at Maine South, then moved to Bolingbrook (where I'm pretty sure was part of their championship run). 53 years coaching, voted into IHSA football coaching HOF in 2008, and still going strong!

Hasn't always been head coach, but definitely impacted a lot of young men in 53 years!

A line coach at ESL Cathedral and then at Althoff when that school opened in 1964, Glenn Schott replaced Max Hamilton as the varsity coach in 1971, staying there until his retirement in 2007.

A graduate of St. Vincent High in Perryville, Mo., where the aforementioned Hamilton had been his coach, Schott became an outstanding lineman (guard) and linebacker at Southeast Missouri State before earning a professional tryout with the Denver Broncos of the NFL for whom he played during the 1961 exhibition season.

After being released by Denver, he returned to St. Vincent as an assistant coach while taking a teaching position at a one-room school in Perryville County. Schott then followed Hamilton to East St. Louis.

"That's how I got into teaching," said Schott, who recalled the school had an outhouse for a restroom facility.

After the press conference, which Schott termed "was more than I had wanted," he admitted the accolades were "not bad for a guy from little old Perryville."

In summary, Coach Schott was on the sidelines for 47 years, including 37 as a varsity coach who compiled a 245-127-6 record, including three state titles (1980, 1989, 1990).

To this day, he remains an ambassador for the school, which recently dedicated its new football field to him - and the stadium to Hamilton.

The article even included this item about our rivalry with West:
But in 1986, Althoff began a dominance that led to Schott retiring with a 21-14 record, including 18 wins in the last 20 games against the Maroons. Amazing? Consider five consecutive shutouts by Althoff from 1986 (24-0), 1987 (23-0), 1988 (22-0), 1989 (35-0) and 1990 (35-0) during a string of eight straight triumphs.

Another great coach/great person....Phil Kardasz. Started coaching in 1965 at Maine West. Was part of several state championships at Maine South, then moved to Bolingbrook (where I'm pretty sure was part of their championship run). 53 years coaching, voted into IHSA football coaching HOF in 2008, and still going strong!

Hasn't always been head coach, but definitely impacted a lot of young men in 53 years!

Legend

mike papoccia has been head coach at sterling newman since 1980. he has 5 state titles and well over 300 wins in that time.

Dave Lenti and Mark Antonetti have been on Mount Carmel’s staff over 30 years. Bill Nolan and trainer Doug Awe close to 30 years.

The longest tenure that I've ever heard of would be Lonnie Williams from King. I believe he was the head coach for 50 years. Just recently retired. Funny story, I remember when Aurora Central made the playoffs and got King in the first round. The announcers on the cube kept mentioning how ACC's coach commented to them that he never returned any calls to exchange film. They didn't know anything about them. King won 36-6.
The next week King went to Harvard for the second round. By the time the fan buses and band arrived from Chicago they were down 40-0 in the first quarter... My buddy who was there said they stayed a bit and headed back to the city.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT