Elmwood Park - 957
Ridgewood - 844
Riverside-Brookfield - 1637
Westmont - 375

Elmwood Park - 957
Ridgewood - 844
Riverside-Brookfield - 1637
Westmont - 375
The publics are the ones that wanted the privates out. They'll be merging into another conference, obviously.

If RB joined the West Suburban conference the school would be the 14 largest out of 15. Also it would need to join with another school or a school would have to leave. Nobody wants a conference with an odd number of teams.

SchoolStudentsDivision
Berwyn-Cicero (Morton)8171Gold
Franklin Park-Northlake (Leyden)3399Gold
Downers Grove (South)2749Gold
Maywood (Proviso East)2054Gold
Addison (A. Trail)1992Gold
Villa Park (Willowbrook)1934Gold
Darien (Hinsdale South)1407Gold
SchoolStudentsDivision
Oak Park (O.P.-River Forest)3398Silver
LaGrange (Lyons)4020Silver
Elmhurst (York)2855Silver
Hinsdale (Central)2705Silver
Glen Ellyn (Glenbard West)2352Silver
Hillside (Proviso West)2238Silver
Downers Grove (North)2155Silver
Riverside Brookfield1637

Reactions: RD_Watcher
If RB joined the West Suburban conference the school would be the 14 largest out of 15. Also it would need to join with another school or a school would have to leave. Nobody wants a conference with an odd number of teams.

SchoolStudentsDivision
SchoolStudentsDivision
Riverside Brookfield1637
Put RB in the gold and eliminated the crossovers.

Yep this is the big issue for all four....RB has been wanting into the West Suburban going back to Otto Zeman days and they have had no interest and where would you put the others.....

Westmont will probably have to hook back up with their former I8 brethren in the new ICE.

Ridgewood and Elmwood Park are a package deal. The only feasible options, and both are a stretch due to travel/size concerns, would be going north to the Mid-Suburban League or going south the South Suburban.

Riverside-Brookfield is a much more appealing school to bring into a conference as they're pretty strong across the board in athletics.

Too bad Westmont minus its admin cant just be consolidated into either DGS or HS.

Another conference possibility could be the upstate 8, which would go to 14 and likely be a 2 division setup with the U46 5 + ea + wc(or glbd east) in 1 division and somewhat of a suburban prairie reunion in the remainder. If westmont doesn't go in with the other 3, Huntley could be asked to be #14.

So Fenton found a landing spot but Riverside-Brookfield can't? Someone explain that to me. Also, R-B dropped out of the West Suburban in the early 80s right? Maybe they would do that one over. The remaining members don't appear to be forgiving.

As far as Westmont, I guess I just don't understand the logic in being a school of 375? If you're in Southern Illinois and the only town for miles around, that makes perfect sense. But in the Chicago suburbs aren't you better off being absorbed by a nearby district?

Ridgewood and Elmwood Park should start a conference called "The Little Two" and play each other every week. Very few scheduling conflicts, think it over.

So Fenton found a landing spot but Riverside-Brookfield can't? Someone explain that to me. Also, R-B dropped out of the West Suburban in the early 80s right? Maybe they would do that one over. The remaining members don't appear to be forgiving.

As far as Westmont, I guess I just don't understand the logic in being a school of 375? If you're in Southern Illinois and the only town for miles around, that makes perfect sense. But in the Chicago suburbs aren't you better off being absorbed by a nearby district?

Ridgewood and Elmwood Park should start a conference called "The Little Two" and play each other every week. Very few scheduling conflicts, think it over.
They should look into the old CPS Big Shoulders conference

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost

Regarding Westmont, it might be a less stark version of the legend i heard about the North Chicago school district back in the 90s where there was talk of its consolidation into a district to its south. It was rumored that other district chose to write a big check instead.

Regarding Westmont, it might be a less stark version of the legend i heard about the North Chicago school district back in the 90s where there was talk of its consolidation into a district to its south. It was rumored that other district chose to write a big check instead.
Oh yeah, I was in high school when that happened and that is right in my backyard. North Chicago voted to dissolve its own school district and they were going to send 650 students to Libertyville and 250 to Lake Forest. It was the state that came up with the money, with pressure from both districts no doubt... but I don't think the state wanted to set that precedent. In Illinois, you have rich districts right next to poor districts all over the place. If they were successful dissolving their own district, how many more places would have done just that?

Too bad Westmont minus its admin cant just be consolidated into either DGS or HS.

Another conference possibility could be the upstate 8, which would go to 14 and likely be a 2 division setup with the U46 5 + ea + wc(or glbd east) in 1 division and somewhat of a suburban prairie reunion in the remainder. If westmont doesn't go in with the other 3, Huntley could be asked to be #14.
I think more likely split would be a 4-way split between HC/HS/DGN/DGS with Cass being the East-West boundry; and 55th being the North-South boundry. But it would all still end up in lawsuits, knowing the area.

I think more likely split would be a 4-way split between HC/HS/DGN/DGS with Cass being the East-West boundry; and 55th being the North-South boundry. But it would all still end up in lawsuits, knowing the area.
Addison Trail would be a great fit for the upstate 8

Reactions: Anomalyout28

SchoolStudentsDivision
SchoolStudentsDivision
Riverside Brookfield1637
Put RB in the Gold and merge Proviso East/West for football.

How bout WSC taking a page from the CCL:

WSC Gold
Glenbard West 2352
Hinsdale Central 2705
Hinsdale South 1407
Downers North 2155
Downers South 2749

WSC Silver
Addison Trail 1992
Glenbard East 2264
Glenbard South 1156
Willowbrook 1934
York 2855

WSC Bronze
Morton 8100
RB 1637
LaGrange 4020
OPRF 3398
Leydon 3399

WSC Copper
Proviso East 2054
Proviso West 2238
Westmont 375
Elmwood Park 957
Ridgewood 844

4 x 5 type divisions with crossovers. Seems these are fairly even enrollments and I don’t believe the competition groupings are too far off, but maybe posters closer to the conf can confirm.

Basically the WSC would add the 4 leftovers, then add Glenbard South and East to balance out a 20 school conference.

Reactions: Panthers1211

WSC Gold
Glenbard West 2352
Hinsdale Central 2705
Hinsdale South 1407
Downers North 2155
Downers South 2749

WSC Silver
Addison Trail 1992
Glenbard East 2264
Glenbard South 1156
Willowbrook 1934
York 2855

WSC Bronze
Morton 8100
RB 1637
LaGrange 4020
OPRF 3398
Leydon 3399

WSC Copper
Proviso East 2054
Proviso West 2238
Westmont 375
Elmwood Park 957
Ridgewood 844

4 x 5 type divisions with crossovers. Seems these are fairly even enrollments and I don’t believe the competition groupings are too far off, but maybe posters closer to the conf can confirm.

Basically the WSC would add the 4 leftovers, then add Glenbard South and East to balance out a 20 school conference.
WSC will dissolve before it expands. The Silver (minus Proviso West, plus DGS and maybe HS) are more likely to do their own thing than anything.

GBE and GBS will stay with the Upstate 8, too. GBE because they can run things over there, and GBS after getting beat up in the old DVC for so many years.

After lurking on this board for 3-4 years, I figured I should finally join in and try to bring the average age down a little bit (lol). Hope I'm not stepping on any toes.

Appreciate the perspective YoungBland… interesting on Silver possibly going their separate ways. I just wonder if GBE/GBS get tired of the elgin district schools and lesser football competition and wants to play more local… seems like schools in WSC are just such a good fit geographically, competitively, and enrollment wise vs the U8.

Plus would the elgin district schools do their own thing and add a few NW burb schools to create a new NW Burb conf?

On topic - I do think RB fits the WS Gold nicely, and the ither schools at least fit geographically. Otherwise i see them all staying independent outside RB.

WSC Gold
Glenbard West 2352
Hinsdale Central 2705
Hinsdale South 1407
Downers North 2155
Downers South 2749

WSC Silver
Addison Trail 1992
Glenbard East 2264
Glenbard South 1156
Willowbrook 1934
York 2855

WSC Bronze
Morton 8100
RB 1637
LaGrange 4020
OPRF 3398
Leydon 3399

WSC Copper
Proviso East 2054
Proviso West 2238
Westmont 375
Elmwood Park 957
Ridgewood 844

Looks good. Only change i would make is swap York and Hinsdale South

WSC will dissolve before it expands. The Silver (minus Proviso West, plus DGS and maybe HS) are more likely to do their own thing than anything.

GBE and GBS will stay with the Upstate 8, too. GBE because they can run things over there, and GBS after getting beat up in the old DVC for so many years.

After lurking on this board for 3-4 years, I figured I should finally join in and try to bring the average age down a little bit (lol). Hope I'm not stepping on any toes.
I agree - there are no changes happening, and will dissolve before expanding. FWIW, if HC goes to it’s own conference, so does HS. They are tied at the hip.

Reactions: WBWarriorWatcher
I guess the rest of the raiders faithful also have the same issue. Embarrassing turnout for a state semifinal this afternoon.
GBW certainly had tremendous fan support.......this year. Where was all that fan support before?

Last edited:
GBW certainly had tremendous fan support.......this year. Where was all that fan support before?
They always have had great fan support. Never had the team to advance out of regionals and sectionals. Go to their gym on a Friday in the regular season and you typically will see a large student section and many community members filling their half of the stands. Usually good showing for road games.

Bones,

I was in Champaign. I could not believe the lack of turnout and support from the Raider nation.

I have seen Bolingbrook twice this season. You have a really good team and a very good coach in Brost. Not sure on the lack of support from students and fans.

Can you elaborate?

Reactions: brucealmighy
Now I know why the hitters struggled on the gridiron the last few years. Could have used these basketball players at Duchon.

They always have had great fan support. Never had the team to advance out of regionals and sectionals. Go to their gym on a Friday in the regular season and you typically will see a large student section and many community members filling their half of the stands. Usually good showing for road games.
I grew up going to OPRF games. Ive seen plenty GBW hoops and football. Never seen crowds like that for hoops until this year.

Bones,

I was in Champaign. I could not believe the lack of turnout and support from the Raider nation.

I have seen Bolingbrook twice this season. You have a really good team and a very good coach in Brost. Not sure on the lack of support from students and fans.

Can you elaborate?
No student bus. You'll have to ask the AD why.
As for community, cant tell you everyone's situation. We had a decent turnout for Redbird Arena (yes I went) and there was fans at the girls Super Sectional at Weslyan (yes I went). Didnt go to the Girls finals or Boys Super Sectional because I was in Vegas.

Bones,

Can you elaborate?
Also noticed a very small crowd for the Barrington girls at Illinois State as well.....

THE WSC has two games against teams from the other division. The first is week 2 and it rotates every 2 years in this you play each of the teams in the other division twice every 12 years The second cross over is considered your natural rival, PE-PW, HC-HS, York- WB, DGN-DGS, GW- AT, LT-Leyden, OPRF- Morton I thin you could get rid of the week two games and let teams play who they want

Also noticed a very small crowd for the Barrington girls at Illinois State as well.....
I saw that picture also
everyone gets trophies
I get the one for least miles traveled hopefully.
THE WSC has two games against teams from the other division. The first is week 2 and it rotates every 2 years in this you play each of the teams in the other division twice every 12 years The second cross over is considered your natural rival, PE-PW, HC-HS, York- WB, DGN-DGS, GW- AT, LT-Leyden, OPRF- Morton I thin you could get rid of the week two games and let teams play who they want
I think they can eliminate both mandated crossovers if they add two schools (or even if they don't) because half of the "natural rivalries" aren't rivals at all. Do Hinsdale Central and South really beef like that? Is Proviso West really Proviso East's rival or is it East and OPRF? GBW and AT? I figure the real rivals will still schedule each other and the others can do whatever works best.

Reactions: Panthers1211
I saw that picture also

I get the one for least miles traveled hopefully.

I think they can eliminate both mandated crossovers if they add two schools (or even if they don't) because half of the "natural rivalries" aren't rivals at all. Do Hinsdale Central and South really beef like that? Is Proviso West really Proviso East's rival or is it East and OPRF? GBW and AT? I figure the real rivals will still schedule each other and the others can do whatever works best.
HC kids will tell you their biggest rival is LT.

Personally, I would not want to add more teams to the WSC, as it will become a locked conference for football. I would love an opportunity to face more teams from outside the conference during the season, as you’d get a better sense of where the team stands prior to the playoffs. One of the biggest jabs at the WSC as a whole is - aside from Willowbrook - they are all out of the playoffs by the quarterfinals.

But, football isn’t the only sport. In the other sports, WSC is perfectly fine exactly how it is in current form.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT