ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Team Preview: Minooka Indians

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
(just an early taste of what's to come....and you'll find these here first so make sure to check back daily)

Minooka Indians

Head Coach:
Matt Harding

School Nickname/Mascot:
Indians

Team Twitter Handle: @MinookaFootball

Conference:
Southwest Prairie West

Assistant Coaches: TBA

2020 Regular Season schedule (if known):

Week 1: vs Bolingbrook
Week 2: @ Joliet West
Week 3: vs Plainfield South
Week 4: @ Plainfield East
Week 5: vs Oswego East
Week 6: vs Plainfield North
Week 7: @ Yorkville
Week 8: @ West Aurora
Week 9: vs Oswego

Returning Offensive Starters for 2020:

Dylan Meyer OG 6'1 250 2021
Will Wessling OG 6'2 2'50 2021
Hunter Ryan RB 5'11 180 2021
Josh Davis QB 6' 170 2021
Jake Faron TE 6'2 170 2021
Vincent Bartuch 6'1 WR 150 2021

Returning Defensive Starters for 2020

Zach Wingerter MLB 6'1 230 2021
Mason Cave OLB 5'11 180 2021

Newcomers to Watch for 2020

Malik Armstrong
Hunter Ryan
Josh Davis
Zach Wingerter
Dylan Meyer
Vincent Bartuch

2020 Planned Team 7on7 or Team Summer Camp?

On Hold (IHSA suspension of summer contact days)

IWU Team Camp
Westmont Yard

Impact Player for Minooka: Senior LB Zach Wingerter. Wingerter is just one of two returning starters for the Indians defense in 2020, yet Wingerter was one of the best players in 2019 on a very strong defense. Minooka will look to reload on the defensive side of the football this coming season, yet Wingerter to provide vocal leadership for a less experienced defense this fall.

EDGY's Quick Take on the Minooka Indians: The Indians will have longtime assistant coach Matt Harding take over the reins of the football program at Minooka this fall. Harding, who was the Indians defensive coordinator under former HC John Belskis will look towards strong overall numbers and talent level to help Minooka once again reload this fall. Look for Minooka to again challenge for the SWPW confernece title along with an 8A state playoff berth in 2020.

This program really took off once they got rid of Forsythe bringing in Matt Harding and went to the 8A semi finals immediately. Forsythe was obviously overmatched as his Marengo team were out coached and destroyed last season by RB and difference was Coach Noll. Hopefully Forsythe is at Marengo for a few more seasons.

This program really took off once they got rid of Forsythe bringing in Matt Harding and went to the 8A semi finals immediately. Forsythe was obviously overmatched as his Marengo team were out coached and destroyed last season by RB and difference was Coach Noll. Hopefully Forsythe is at Marengo for a few more seasons.
Man, you've really got it out for that guy and I'm not sure Minooka has ever been to the semi's (at least not according the IHSA site).

Reactions: net-se and USD24
Man, you've really got it out for that guy and I'm not sure Minooka has ever been to the semi's (at least not according the IHSA site).
Minooka lost in the semis in 2002 or 2003 to Carmel back when Briscoe was the coach. That Carmel team was loaded they finished 6th nationally in the USA today poll. Had a TE Jack Simmons who played both ways who went on to play at Minnesota. Watching Simmons play safety was a treat. Minooka wasn't bad either. I think they had 3 future Illini players on that team. I'm not going to bash Forsythe, but the level of coaching Minooka has had recently is about as good as you can ask for at the high school level. The experience and level of success they had coming in to go along with the passion the community and school have for football you knew it would be a quick turnaround and fairly immediate success. Now, Minooka always seems better later in the season compared to earlier on, that's usually a sign of good coaching. I don't think they've been to the semis though. A couple of quarterfinals though in 8A is no small feet.

Minooka lost in the semis in 2002 or 2003 to Carmel back when Briscoe was the coach. That Carmel team was loaded they finished 6th nationally in the USA today poll. Had a TE Jack Simmons who played both ways who went on to play at Minnesota. Watching Simmons play safety was a treat. Minooka wasn't bad either. I think they had 3 future Illini players on that team. I'm not going to bash Forsythe, but the level of coaching Minooka has had recently is about as good as you can ask for at the high school level. The experience and level of success they had coming in to go along with the passion the community and school have for football you knew it would be a quick turnaround and fairly immediate success. Now, Minooka always seems better later in the season compared to earlier on, that's usually a sign of good coaching. I don't think they've been to the semis though. A couple of quarterfinals though in 8A is no small feet.
The 2002/2003 era is a bit before my time following Minooka football, but I do know they were the only loss during Oswego's last championship run. I just knew they hadn't been there in the past 5 years or so. I hope we get to play them this year.

I'm not sure, but I believe Marengo and Coach Forsythe beat RB and Coach Noll the prior year. (14-13).

Reactions: net-se
My bad they lost in the third round to Edwardsville 28-25. Forsythe did beat RB in 2018 14.-13. However the coaching staff was talking smack and reason RB put 77 on them in the combined first half's last season. I believe he didn't have a winning record in his tenure at Minooka going 16-21 with one playoff loss and reason for his dismissal.

Minookas high water marks are two semi appearances. 96 4A semis vs Providence they were overwhelmed by a great PC team and 03 6A semis vs Carmel got a little lopsided at the end but was fairly competitive.

when the program puts it all together they could be something to be reckoned with on an annual basis. Been saying that for 25 years and still waiting for them to break out of the one year up and half a decade mediocre cycle. But it will likely happen eventually, and that will be bad news for JC and even PC to a lesser degree.

Reactions: Gene K.
As a longtime area resident who put two kids through Minooka....you literally could not be more wrong. Paulie was a very solid coach (as it's being proven at what he's doing at Marengo) but was part of an incredibly toxic sports community and area...let's just say that the amount of parental involvement and influence in football and other sports is maybe as bad as anywhere I've seen. I know many great people in Minooka school district..and I also know some incredibly toxic people in unfortunately positions of influence and power....it will be a chapter or two in my book someday. People outside of this area truly have no idea how bad it can get here.

As a longtime area resident who put two kids through Minooka....you literally could not be more wrong. Paulie was a very solid coach (as it's being proven at what he's doing at Marengo) but was part of an incredibly toxic sports community and area...let's just say that the amount of parental involvement and influence in football and other sports is maybe as bad as anywhere I've seen. I know many great people in Minooka school district..and I also know some incredibly toxic people in unfortunately positions of influence and power....it will be a chapter or two in my book someday. People outside of this area truly have no idea how bad it can get here.
Well said! I've met him myself and found he has his good points and bad. Marengo was solid with Matt Lynch who had Marengo in the 4A semi finals and Forsythe was I believe 2-7 in his first year. It's hard to lose with the amount of scholarship players he had over the past two seasons (Four) including Finn Schirmer but couldn't complete with RB last season.

The Kishwaukee Conference is a small pond and a lot of easy wins versus the likes of Harvard, Woodstock, Woodstock North, Johnsburg. There were a lot of teams in the Fox Valley Conference for example that had two or less players offered College scholarships at 6A, 7A and 8A programs let alone four which Forsythe had.

Last edited:
I know many great people in Minooka school district..and I also know some incredibly toxic people in unfortunately positions of influence and power....it will be a chapter or two in my book someday. People outside of this area truly have no idea how bad it can get here.
Sounds like the Minooka school district should be avoided. I would encourage all Channahon/Minooka/Shorewood residents to strongly consider JCA, if they are looking for a quality education and excellent athletic opportunities in a much less toxic environment. :cool:

Sounds like the Minooka school district should be avoided. I would encourage all Channahon/Minooka/Shorewood residents to strongly consider JCA, if they are looking for a quality education and excellent athletic opportunities in a much less toxic environment. :cool:
I also would recommend the academic side of Minooka High School and this Is coming from a parent who went to both catholic and public schools and who sent his kids to both As well. Both have positives and also negatives....

I also would recommend the academic side of Minooka High School and this Is coming from a parent who went to both catholic and public schools and who sent his kids to both As well. Both have positives and also negatives....
Very diplomatic.

Well, that has been the MO of the area the last 25 years anyway. The number of difference makers JC has gotten from the MCHS district is staggering. I don’t see that stopping anytime soon . But Minooka should be able to win more often than not in the new SPC .

Reactions: pjjp
Interesting tidbit.
28 years ago the enrollment at Minooka HS was 780 students.
Two key turning points. Dan sharp leaving Minooka after 96 season. He stays in the public school system, who knows what the trajectory of Minooka football looks like and, more importantly, what happens to that decade when JC won 6 titles and had a stranglehold on area talent. The 2000s and early 2010s were really an era where if you were a talented player and played at Minooka you got a lot of “why do you play there?” gazes at Rudy’s gym, the local restaurants, or wherever.

and the other is when briscoe had finally gotten the machine humming again and decided to leave. Just tough when two proven program builders come and go within a decade. And history has repeated itself the last 3 to 4 years there now, but the leaving is for different reasons.

Minooka will Start to win more consistently overall but I really think it would take an exceptional team from the SPC to be a true contender in 8A come playoff time. And until they break through that quarterfinal/semifinal brick wall, I think it will be an uphill battle for them to retain local talent. Heck, even baseball has felt that pressure the last 5 to 10 years.

...at least they don't play in 2a baseball! haha
Haha. Haven’t played in 2A just yet.

really don’t think it will make a difference. Minooka is who Minooka is. A baseball program that, until the difficult last 3 to 5 years, had been one of the top 20 to 25 programs in the state, but could only break through to the state tournament once. Until they raise that ceiling, I think the local private schools will continue to poach from even their baseball program.

really don’t think it will make a difference. Minooka is who Minooka is. A baseball program that, until the difficult last 3 to 5 years, had been one of the top 20 to 25 programs in the state, but could only break through to the state tournament once. Until they raise that ceiling, I think the local private schools will continue to poach from even their baseball program.
Poach....is that another word for recr....never mind! haha

On last year's JCA's frosh football team, there were more players from Minooka Jr High than any other feeder school. In addition, there were a handful of baseball players from Minooka on frosh baseball team as well. All pretty good players.

Reactions: Gene K.
On last year's JCA's frosh football team, there were more players from Minooka Jr High than any other feeder school. In addition, there were a handful of baseball players from Minooka on frosh baseball team as well. All pretty good players.
Minooka baseball was primed for a really good year this year (the SPC in general was). That being said, anyone see the shade being thrown around between Oswego and Minooka yesterday?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT