ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Preseason Chicagoland Top 30 poll: On The Fringe Teams?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Since we are stuck in the middle of the whole COVID-19 pandemic lockdown...and with no real team events on the horizon...I guess it''s time to begin thinking about the Preseason polls.

So here is today's process.discussion points. Linked below is my 2019 Final Chicagoland Top 30 team poll.

So which teams out of the 2019 Final poll would you consider being on the fringe or even out of 2020 Preseason Top 30 talk? My thoughts are posted below

2019 EDGYTIM.com Final Chicagoland Top 30 poll

On the Fringe?

4. Warren Township
- Now before the Blue Devils vocal supports already start talking smack against me...hear me out. The Blue Devils are coming off an impressive two year run posting 23-3 record and finishing 2nd in Class 8A in 2019. The Blue Devils just graduated a strong senior class which included a very strong and experienced group as well. Will all be lost for Warren Township? No...not at all. Warren brings back 4 starters back on each side of the football and the defense has a few key names back in LB Malachi McNeal and DT Tommy Matheson. Yet I see the Blue Devils needing to reload more this year than anytime over the last few seasons. The talent level is still high here which will help in the transition. Will Warren be knocked out of the Top 30? No. But a top ranked preseason team? The jury is still a bit out...and also if not Warren Township who else from the North Sub? Again another interesting preseason question to ponder.

7. Willowbrook- I'm very inclined to just rank the Warriors every year because lets face it..,..they've earned everything over the past 3-4 seasons. Yet this is a case where two key Tumily kids are gone and who can step up and be the man for Willowbrook in 2020? Much like Warren Township above...this Willowbrook team will most likely be in the preseason Top 30...but where exactly? Still not certain.

8. Rolling Meadows- The Mustangs always seem to rise up and just beat people....but the Mustangs had a very strong senior class in 2019, graduated several keys names especially on defense (just 2 starters back on a very good D in 2019) and also bring in a new head coach. Sam Baker is a terrific hire and the biggest question will be if new coaches can gets teams up to speed quickly under the pandemic ordeal? Prospect will be much more experienced and will again challenge Meadows..and yes I know how Meadows has handled Prospect lately. Top 30 worthy? Still a possibility here...yet questions remain in my mind for now.

13. MInooka- The Indians FINALLY hired Matt Harding as it's new HC, and the long time assistant has support from his kids in the program and Harding was also the hand selected choice for departed HOF coaches John Belskis and Terry McCombs who turned around the Indians program. Minooka also just added new home bleachers and has FINALLY made it's home field more early 2000's like. Yet Minooka will be young in 2020 and while I see the Indians being a conference contender...preseason ranked?

16. Neuqua Valley- Neuqua and head coach Bill Ellinghaus always loves being a bit under the radar/underdog and having a chip or three...yet the Wildcats will no question be younger and have several spots to replace from a season ago. No question this program always has talent in the building and RB Armani Moreno is a game changer type..but in the meat grinder that is the DVC can they get up to speed quickly? Early questions remain.

19. Huntley- Yes the Red Raiders bring back a lot this fall (14 starters 8 on defense) and some serious talent including QB Bruno Boseman and DL Brad Walker Jr....and in most cases this team would be pretty much a lock for a Top 30 spot...yet playing in the always tough FVC and especially playing the likes of McHenry, Jacobs, PR and CG all within the first four weeks of the regular season? We will find out pretty early just how good the Red Raiders will be before we hit Week 5.

22. Wheaton South- The Red Grange Tigers have been strong last few seasons and will be solid again in 2020...but just playing the DuKane is reason enough to be concerned for all teams in the conference.

23. Fremd- see above comments...no issue with the Vikings here but the schedule and the conference will be a challenge here.

24. Notre Dame- The Dons also are expected to be strong in 2020 with several skills back on offense led by QB Anthony Sayles...biggest question for me is the schedule along with needing to reload upfront on both sides of the ball.

26. Providence Catholic- Yet another strong team year in and year out...and while he Emerald Isle welcomes back some key names they also need to reload upfront on both the OL and DL in 2020. Senior TE Jameson Geers and junior RB Aaron Vaughn Jr. are impact names to watch in 2020.

27. Deerfield - The Warriors had a terrific run and basically proved myself and everyone outside of the city limits of Deerfield wrong in 2019. 2020? A handful of key names return but just 3 starters back on each side of the football is the biggest question here.

28. Coal City- Love me some Coalers football each year...and Coal City brings back experience especially upfront on the OL in 2020..but who can step up and become the go to guys in the offensive skills this fall? Playoff worthy and conference title contender worthy? Yes. Top 30 ranked worthy? Ehh.

29. Sycamore- No doubt the Spartans and veteran head coach Joe Ryan have my attention every single season and will again in 2020...but this team graduated several key names especially on offense from the 2019 squad...also the early schedule is a challenge. My best guess for Sycamore? Others consideration out of the gates.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News