ADVERTISEMENT

1A Final - Camp Point Central vs Lena-Winslow

Lol. They've been running the same offense for decades. They lose one game in 3 years and they need to scrap it all and start over?
Not scrap but evolve. You can always learn from losses, esp in a state championship game. I think the lesson today was they need to add another dimension to the offense. Not having any semblance of a hurry up, or no huddle or passing game cost them today. Im sure the LW coaches will make sure they are more prepared next year should they face a similar situation.

Last edited:
Not scrap but evolve. You can always learn from losses, esp in a state championship game. I think the lesson today was they need to add another dimension to the offense. Not having any semblance of a hurry up, or no huddle or passing game cost them today. Im sure the LW coaches will make sure they are more prepared next year should the face a similar situation.
Love the over reactions after one game. Their coach has run the same system for the 20+ years he's been there, he's got over 250 wins and people here say he needs to change. Or maybe just follow small school football for more than 1 game per year.

They play in the top small ball conference in the state and have been beyond successful. I think they'll stick to what works.

Reactions: chiliconcarne2
I'm with you 4Afan. Le-Win gets beats by a better team today and people actually think they need to make changes. This is same program that had longest winning streak in the state.
It is possible that LW doesn't have the best personnel each and every year and occasionally, they will lose a game. But, to re-evaluate what they are doing is ridiculous. Those coaches at LW know way, way more than those of us on a message board do, and especially who it pertains to their specific program.

Reactions: chiliconcarne2
I'm with you 4Afan. Le-Win gets beats by a better team today and people actually think they need to make changes. This is same program that had longest winning streak in the state.
It is possible that LW doesn't have the best personnel each and every year and occasionally, they will lose a game. But, to re-evaluate what they are doing is ridiculous. Those coaches at LW know way, way more than those of us on a message board do, and especially who it pertains to their specific program.
I get it they are successful at what they have been doing. That said don’t think for a minute that other coaches weren’t watching this game. This game is a blueprint on how to beat them. LW coaches are smart and will evolve enough to be successful again. Great teams have to play with more balance to be successful.

When Coach Schott was allergic to throwing the ball, our desperation pass play was called the Orep Fly - the two fastest black guys split to the outsides and a white QB. Senior year, one of the fastest guys was white and our QB was black. We got a kick out of that and realized Darond was the first black QB at Althoff.

Not scrap but evolve. You can always learn from losses, esp in a state championship game. I think the lesson today was they need to add another dimension to the offense. Not having any semblance of a hurry up, or no huddle or passing game cost them today. Im sure the LW coaches will make sure they are more prepared next year should the face a similar situation.
I have no doubt you are much smarter than Aurand and you and Colin should be coaching the team. He definitely should change a lot of things because whatever he has been doing the last 27 years is obviously not working. They lost today because CPC was the better team. Le-Win didn’t have a quarterback who was capable of throwing the ball very well this year. If you don't have a QB that can throw very well, are you really going to trust him to throw the ball in windy conditions? Also, how exactly are they supposed to go no huddle when the whole team is gassed?

I get it they are successful at what they have been doing. That said don’t think for a minute that other coaches weren’t watching this game. This game is a blueprint on how to beat them. LW coaches are smart and will evolve enough to be successful again. Great teams have to play with more balance to be successful.
Yes, the blueprint is to have more talent and be the better team. I hope all the coaches are writing this down.

Coaches have been watching what they do for decades. The blueprint has been there. Like I said they play in the top small school conference in the state and have lost in the regular season and still won the title before. I would say a 32 game winning streak and 3 straight titles is pretty great and they're anything but balanced.

They threw 9 passes all season, the blueprint has been there all year. They're just great at what they do and they don't care if you know what's coming you have to stop it. CPC did a great job today and is a deserving champion.

Reactions: corey90
Lena-Winslow doesn't have to change what they do at all, as they've showed us multiple times that their system can win state titles. However, you have to prepare for situations where you need to be able to pass if you're behind. I mean I fully understand they're run 1st, run 2nd, and run 3rd, but it's the state championship and you need to be able to pass.

When running the Wing-T the passing game is going to be more about shot plays when you're hoping to lull a team to sleep with the run and then hitting them ususally for a big play on the pass as someone runs past a defender downfield.

Unfortunately once you are down later in the game in the 2nd half, those plays won't typically work as the defense knows you are more likely to pass and you are less likely to catch them off guard because they are well-coached too and telling their defenders to expect something different.

So it's tough to second guess a team that for 3 quarters was one play away by breaking a big TD just by doing what they have always done in the Wing-T which is dominate the run game.

I'm sure the Lena-Winlow staff has pass plays installed but deciding when to do them is tricky when you're in a one score game most of the way.

Hats off to Lena-Winlow for their sustained run of excellence and especially to Camp Point Central who came up with an unbelievable defensive effort to win a state championship.

Reactions: 4Afan
Lena-Winslow doesn't have to change what they do at all, as they've showed us multiple times that their system can win state titles. However, you have to prepare for situations where you need to be able to pass if you're behind. I mean I fully understand they're run 1st, run 2nd, and run 3rd, but it's the state championship and you need to be able to pass.
I totally agree with you guerinfbfan
I mean you can’t be so hard headed to adjust based on the situation. If you never pass the ball you will never get better at it. If next year they lose because of being one dimensional then what. A lot of teams have seen the blueprint and yes it didn’t matter, until now! But if they don’t make adjustments then whose fault is it? Just saying, you don’t need reinvent just evolve. IMO

I have no doubt you are much smarter than Aurand and you and Colin should be coaching the team. He definitely should change a lot of things because whatever he has been doing the last 27 years is obviously not working. They lost today because CPC was the better team. Le-Win didn’t have a quarterback who was capable of throwing the ball very well this year. If you don't have a QB that can throw very well, are you really going to trust him to throw the ball in windy conditions? Also, how exactly are they supposed to go no huddle when the whole team is gassed?
I'm not pretending to know more than the coach. But the fact they didn't have or attempt to have a passing game esp late hurt them. That's not really debatable. Down two scores with over 3min is not an insurmountable deficit. Sometimes it's not a matter of if you trust the qb to throw, but it's what the situation calls for. Idk how anyone can watch the end of that game and have an issue with someone pointing out LW unwillingness to pass the ball late.

This is the first year that was ever true for any team out of the NUIC. The NUIC has proven year in and year out that they don't need to pass to win state championships. They finally lose in a championship game and people start acting like they need to change everything. Is their offense balanced? Absolutely not. Does it matter? It hasn't for the past 20+ years.

Reactions: 4Afan
I'm not pretending to know more than the coach. But the fact they didn't have or attempt to have a passing game esp late hurt them. That's not really debatable. Down two scores with over 3min is not an insurmountable deficit. Sometimes it's not a matter of if you trust the qb to throw, but it's what the situation calls for. Idk how anyone can watch the end of that game and have an issue with someone pointing out LW unwillingness to pass the ball late.
As someone else pointed out, they had attempted 9 passes all season and they have a QB who isn't a great passer, but he's expected to run a 2 minute offense? The best chance LW had to win was popping a big run.

As someone else pointed out, they had attempted 9 passes all season and they have a QB who isn't a great passer, but he's expected to run a 2 minute offense? The best chance LW had to win was popping a big run.
What situation could they have been in in the reg season where attempting any of those 9 passes was more warranted than attempting one today?

And i think you are being a little hyperbolic claiming we must want LW to scrap their offense and start over. The only thing i said was having a passing game could have helped today. Being able to go with a little more urgency at the end could have helped today.

No, they lost because the CPC defense was dominant.
It’s the same thing. CPC was dominate and being one dementional didn’t give them any answers.

If both teams are equal…you need some answers and they had none.

Just watching Byron’s offense…same offense but they incorporate tempo and a forward pass.

Devil’s advocate here…
Wilmington is basically identical to L-W in terms of offensive style, but without the ability to throw it at least a little bit, they would have been watching Seneca beat Athens today instead of winning another title. You need something in your back pocket if you meet your physical match.

In no way, shape or form am I insinuating that LW should scrap the wing offense and go shotgun spread. That’s just ridiculous talk from folks who never watch the small enrollment teams.

If only the IHSA could figure out how to get the score, clock, down and distance on the screen, but I guess that's too much to ask.
We had a graphic problem pop up in the 1st quarter. I asked specifically about it and they relayed it to me. So I was conscious about calling out time, score, down and distance. But that's why. Got it fixed by halftime actually.

We tested all this stuff yesterday, and it crapped out today. Happens.

We had a graphic problem pop up in the 1st quarter. I asked specifically about it and they relayed it to me. So I was conscious about calling out time, score, down and distance. But that's why. Got it fixed by halftime actually.

We tested all this stuff yesterday, and it crapped out today. Happens.
Great job on the call today!

The 3 and the 0 were switched though during the 2A or 3A game in that it showed a preview of 13-0 #1 Rochester vs. 13-0 (Should have said 10-3) #11 St. Laurence.

I was starting to question myself as to why a 13-0 St. Laurence wasn't getting more hype for a second until I realized the numbers were flipped lol.

Camp Point Central 7, Lena-Winslow 0 half

Both defenses playing well. Neither team having success with running stretch plays as pursuit has been terrific.

Passing game for CPC has two drops, but you can see they don't throw often.

CPC onside kick was puzzling. Their defense has been playing great. Pin em deep, flip the field, instead Lena got it at the 50.

#12 for CPC has some size. I'd toss some jump balls up to him out wide.

Halfback pass into triple coverage was something 😬

Ok game so far.
Puzzling? No I think it was a great call. Remember, they've talked about being aggressive and this was an ideal time. Because they're defense was playing well, they didn't believe it would hurt and it didn't. A risk? Sure. But I liked the call there. You just never know.

Overall, CPC was much faster. Notice how Mark and I talked about backside pursuit? Most double wing teams stress patience on setting up blocks. Can't do that against edge speed.

Another good example is PR last year against ESL. Vasey was waiting too long and getting blown up because of speed and size.

Reactions: guerinfbfan
All this is true but it can also be true that no having a 2min offense or an answer to their running game now working hurt them today.

Puzzling? No I think it was a great call. Remember, they've talked about being aggressive and this was an ideal time. Because they're defense was playing well, they didn't believe it would hurt and it didn't. A risk? Sure. But I liked the call there. You just never know.

Overall, CPC was much faster. Notice how Mark and I talked about backside pursuit? Most double wing teams stress patience on setting up blocks. Can't do that against edge speed.

Another good example is PR last year against ESL. Vasey was waiting too long and getting blown up because of speed and size.
Valid point on the onside Matt.

As far as the defenses were, no one really seemed to be able to run outside.

CPC really just punished the Lena line with #33.

Happy for Camp Point, kids played their butts off and coaches had a heck of a gameplan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT