ADVERTISEMENT

16 years ago

What a great game and unbelievable atmosphere. People were literally hanging from tree branches to watch. One of my all time favorite games to watch. The build up to game was fantastic and the game lived up to the billing

Last edited:
Reactions: pjjp
Lots of talent on that R-B team. Whatever happened to that MLB they had? Steve something...Can't remember his last name.

Lots of talent on that R-B team. Whatever happened to that MLB they had? Steve something...Can't remember his last name.
Steve Kielp ended up going to Michigan State playing DE, obviously had the height at 6'6 just couldn't put on the weight to play DE at the D1 level. Transferred to a D2 school after his soph year at MSU Couldn't tell you the D2 school off the top of my head. But Matt George at wr on that RB team also played for them.

Brothers Brandon & Britt Davis both played in that game both ended up at NIU, Britt ended up playing in the NFL for the Jets, Broncos, and Patriots and Brandon is currently a Chicago Firemen

Remember when an RB poster wrote something to the affect that some of the JC players were elephants and belonged in the zoo??? What a great week that was

Remember when an RB poster wrote something to the affect that some of the JC players were elephants and belonged in the zoo??? What a great week that was
Those R-B fans on the site were one of, if not the first, insane posse to grace Edgyland.

Wow... terrible defense by both teams. When guys are wide open by ten yards on every play, that's just inexcusable. Terrific crowd and atmosphere. Otto sure was a trendsetter as his wide open shotgun offense has become the gold standard at all levels of football today.

I was there. Myself and a few pals who traded at the CME took the BNSF train to Riverside, got off the train around 2:50, and bar crawled for a couple hours. We got there around 5:30 and it was already beyond insane. As good of a HS football environment that I have seen in Illinois. JR Zwierzynski was a beast for JCA....as was Kolodziej and that WR from R-B.......Powers or something like that. Brasic was incredible. Their O was the fastest I have seen in HS.

I remember getting there early with a fellow JCA fan. While waiting in line, we were engulfed by R-B fans. At the time, my only point of reference for R-B fans was this website. Didn't want to paint all the fans with a broad brush, but our actual encounters that night mirrored what I had seen on this website. The trash talk was incessant. I recall the JCA's team entrance for pregame warmups. They walked in very slowly amidst the bedlam. It was an electric environment. Just can't see that being duplicated in the current climate. Seems like a bygone era at this point.

Don't forget the encore the year after.Defensive showcase 10 to 7 Joliet Catholic.RB came so close to going to state many years but never could never will.Never will beat a Private School.

Reactions: Quags57
Don't forget the encore the year after.Defensive showcase 10 to 7 Joliet Catholic.RB came so close to going to state many years but never could never will.Never will beat a Private School.
They beat Holy Cross who had Garret Wolf 42-0 that year in the 1st round and beat and St Viator who had Bret Basanez 29-28 the year before in the 2nd round

Reactions: Bigshot85
They beat Holy Cross who had Garret Wolf 42-0 that year in the 1st round and beat and St Viator who had Bret Basanez 29-28 the year before in the 2nd round

That 2001 HC team wasn't that good. We had a freshman playing his 1st game on the OL vs RB that day. 2000 HC team, which was our best ever, was so loaded, but ran into Pontiac in the quarters.

2003 HC was good too, but we blew it vs Alleman in Rd 1.

2003 was the last HC team....

That 2001 HC team wasn't that good. We had a freshman playing his 1st game on the OL vs RB that day. 2000 HC team, which was our best ever, was so loaded, but ran into Pontiac in the quarters.

Wolfe suffered a scary injury the week before and was limited in that RB game. Definitely wasn’t himself.

That was a real good Pontiac team. Had JCA on the ropes in the semi's. JC blocked a game winning extra point with less than 1 minute to go. Then JR took it off tackle and raced 80 yds for a TD, out running Santos Gonzales (I think that was his name), who was a 100 yd track finalist. JC wins 28-20. Might have been the coldest game I ever attended.

I beat Naz four times during my time at RB. Sure that Naz program wasn't what it is now but your statement of never beating a private school is false. We also beat SHG week one in 2001.

Reactions: Teetime and USD24
That 2001 team was a lot of fun to watch. I saw the SHG game and RB scored two touchdowns in the blink of an eye to win that one in the last three minutes.

Reactions: Bigshot85
I beat Naz four times during my time at RB. Sure that Naz program wasn't what it is now but your statement of never beating a private school is false. We also beat SHG week one in 2001.
Does it even count if it was before the Racki era?

Does it even count if it was before the Racki era?
RB is 5-2 against private schools during the Brasic era. So to say RB can't beat a private school is incorrect. How great would a matchup between the RB teams of 2000 and 2001 vs Naz 2015 and 2016 been.

Naz 2014 2015 were the state title years. Since Naz also played Defense and was basically a no fly zone I think the outcome strongly favors Naz.

RB is 5-2 against private schools during the Brasic era. So to say RB can't beat a private school is incorrect. How great would a matchup between the RB teams of 2000 and 2001 vs Naz 2015 and 2016 been.

I played in this game. I remember the fans being obnoxious, I remember running a 4-4 against a spread. I remember Barry Dean and coach Mac putting us in cover three the entire game. Ahhh good memories.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT