ADVERTISEMENT

#1 seed Home Field Advantage

I'd say no, because of how random some of the seeds are, relative to how good the teams actually are. (Payton as the #1 seed in 5A north, for example)

If seeds hold true, they do get home field advantage throughout.
See my first point for why the seed will never hold true.

I think the way it's done is about as good as can be, given the seeding issues. Maybe give a first round higher seed the option to be the road team, to try and help themselves later??? Not sure how many teams would actually give up a guaranteed home game though. Maybe someone like LWE agrees to go to Taft, to have a better shot at a home game later?

Reactions: FB1976
I'd say no, because of how random some of the seeds are, relative to how good the teams actually are. (Payton as the #1 seed in 5A north, for example)

If they get knocked out it reverts back to what it is currently just a bit of a bonus for earning the #1 spot.

What would you think about the #1 seed getting Home field advantage thru out the playoffs.
Coal City had it back in there Semi Final run in 2019. Honestly it didn't feel like playoffs with at least one road trip. Even the kids thought that. Save gas money with 4 straight home playoff games but still didn't feel right

Coal City had it back in there Semi Final run in 2019. Honestly it didn't feel like playoffs with at least one road trip. Even the kids thought that. Save gas money with 4 straight home playoff games but still didn't feel right
As a player, parent and fan, I have always enjoyed road play off games. Especially traveling to some of the rural towns. Playing at Belevidere in the semi-finals was a great experience. Traveling to Metamora, Washington, La-Salle/Peru, Richmond-Burton, Normal, Bartonville, Taylorville and numerous others as a fan were always great times.

With the exception of not seeding 1-32, I don’t mind how they do it now.
Everyone knows the top seeds aren’t always the best teams, but at least it is transparent.

Maybe give a first round higher seed the option to be the road team, to try and help themselves later??? Not sure how many teams would actually give up a guaranteed home game though. Maybe someone like LWE agrees to go to Taft, to have a better shot at a home game later?
I have said this for years. I think you should have option give up the home field to "put one in the bank" for later. Or maybe only the first two rounds that is allowed then quarters and semis are played with the current rules.

Nope. No offense to Normal Community, but why should they get home field advantage through with the schedule they played? What would their record be if they played Mount Carmel or Batavia’s schedule? Not 9-0, I can assure you.
Exactly

As a player, parent and fan, I have always enjoyed road play off games. Especially traveling to some of the rural towns. Playing at Belevidere in the semi-finals was a great experience. Traveling to Metamora, Washington, La-Salle/Peru, Richmond-Burton, Normal, Bartonville, Taylorville and numerous others as a fan were always great times.
I've had a great time visiting Woodstock, McHenry, Hinsdale South (even though we lost), and several other schools, including Cary Grove (despite the extremely nasty lady at the gate who was checking everyone for alcohol, but didn't find any.). The pork chop sandwiches at Woodstock are sufficient reason to move there. I went to Saturday evening Mass prior tot he McHenry game. The priest asked if there was anyone in the church from Mt Carmel. I raised my hand, and he asked, "Are you prepared to receive the Last Rites?' Everyone laughed and were very nice.

Nope. No offense to Normal Community, but why should they get home field advantage through with the schedule they played? What would their record be if they played Mount Carmel or Batavia’s schedule? Not 9-0, I can assure you.
Below is 7A seeded by Calpreps algorithm. 1st column is "calpreps seed" 2nd is team and matchup. If they have a 7A # at the end of their name, that is their AP top ten state class rank, 3rd column is won loss record, 4th is "calpreps state ranking", 5th column is "IHSA seed", 6th is the difference between IHSA and calpreps, 7th column "Quad" is just a quick way to judge the "easiest (higher number) quad vs the "hardest" quad according to a computer, same with the next column called "half", which half of the bracket is harder according to a computer. 2nd chart/bracket is the way the IHSA's seeding process worked out. See how the computer chart/bracket produces relatively equal paths for all potential champions while the current way produces wide differences-of-difficulty between the Quads, i.e. see Normal's path compared to Hersey's or Batavia's path in the current IHSA 7A bracket.

Probably the biggest discrepancy this weekend in 7A is the computer-ranked 12th team in the state faces the 13th team in the state in one round one game while the 265th team in the state faces the 295th team in the state. So a top 13 team will be turning in their pads Sunday while a 265th ranked team moves on. Happy Halloween!

Computer seeded 7A Bracket

calpseedteamrecordcpstrkihsa seeddiffquadhalf
1​
Chicago (Mt. Carmel) Caravan 7A #18-1
2​
6​
5​
796​
1636​
32​
West Chicago (H.S.) Wildcats5-4
331​
30​
-2​
16​
Wheaton (Warrenville South) Tigers5-4
67​
29​
13​
17​
Hoffman Estates (H.S.) Hawks6-3
69​
21​
4​
8​
Quincy (Sr.) Blue Devils 7A #59-0
28​
3​
-5​
25​
Villa Park (Willowbrook) Warriors7-2
136​
15​
-10​
9​
New Lenox (Lincoln-Way Central) Knights 7A #88-1
29​
10​
1​
24​
Lombard (Glenbard East) Rams8-1
134​
9​
-15​
4​
Chicago (Brother Rice) Crusaders5-4
13​
26​
22​
840​
29​
Addison (Addison Trail) Blazers6-3
265​
25​
-4​
13​
New Lenox (Lincoln-Way West) Warriors7-2
50​
12​
-1​
20​
Buffalo Grove Bison6-3
96​
22​
2​
5​
Normal (Community) Ironmen 7A #39-0
14​
1​
-4​
28​
Rockford (Auburn) Knights5-4
245​
31​
3​
12​
St. Charles (North) North Stars 7A #106-3
47​
17​
5​
21​
Des Plaines (Maine West) Warriors 7A #99-0
110​
5​
-16​
2​
Arlington Heights (Hersey) Huskies 7A #29-0
7​
4​
2​
778​
1609​
31​
Chicago (Lincoln Park) Lions8-1
295​
8​
-23​
15​
Rockton (Hononegah) Indians 7A #69-0
59​
2​
-13​
18​
Chicago (Kenwood) Broncos6-3
70​
20​
2​
7​
Chicago (St. Rita) Mustangs5-4
24​
27​
20​
26​
Chicago (Whitney Young) Dolphins7-2
162​
14​
-12​
10​
Mt. Prospect (Prospect) Knights7-2
31​
11​
1​
23​
Collinsville Kahoks5-4
130​
28​
5​
3​
Batavia Bulldogs 7A #48-1
12​
7​
4​
831​
30​
Summit (Argo) Argonauts5-4
288​
32​
2​
14​
Algonquin (Jacobs) Golden Eagles6-3
54​
23​
9​
19​
Bradley (B.-Bourbonnais) Boilermakers6-3
76​
16​
-3​
6​
Downers Grove (North) Trojans7-2
19​
13​
7​
27​
Machesney Park (Harlem) Huskies6-3
226​
24​
-3​
11​
Wheaton (North) Falcons6-3
45​
19​
8​
22​
Yorkville (H.S.) Foxes6-3
111​
18​
-4​

The IHSA 7A Bracket

ihsa seedteamrecordcpstrkcalpseeddiffquadhalf
1​
Normal (Community) Ironmen 7A #39-0
14​
5​
-4​
1345​
1867​
32​
Summit (Argo) Argonauts5-4
288​
30​
2​
16​
Bradley (B.-Bourbonnais) Boilermakers6-3
76​
19​
-3​
17​
St. Charles (North) North Stars 7A #106-3
47​
12​
5​
8​
Chicago (Lincoln Park) Lions8-1
295​
31​
-23​
25​
Addison (Addison Trail) Blazers6-3
265​
29​
-4​
9​
Lombard (Glenbard East) Rams8-1
134​
24​
-15​
24​
Machesney Park (Harlem) Huskies6-3
226​
27​
-3​
4​
Arlington Heights (Hersey) Huskies 7A #29-0
7​
2​
2​
522​
29​
Wheaton (Warrenville South) Tigers5-4
67​
16​
13​
13​
Downers Grove (North) Trojans7-2
19​
6​
7​
20​
Chicago (Kenwood) Broncos6-3
70​
18​
2​
5​
Des Plaines (Maine West) Warriors 7A #99-0
110​
21​
-16​
28​
Collinsville Kahoks5-4
130​
23​
5​
12​
New Lenox (Lincoln-Way West) Warriors7-2
50​
13​
-1​
21​
Hoffman Estates (H.S.) Hawks6-3
69​
17​
4​
2​
Rockton (Hononegah) Indians 7A #69-0
59​
15​
-13​
659​
1378​
31​
Rockford (Auburn) Knights5-4
245​
28​
3​
15​
Villa Park (Willowbrook) Warriors7-2
136​
25​
-10​
18​
Yorkville (H.S.) Foxes6-3
111​
22​
-4​
7​
Batavia Bulldogs 7A #48-1
12​
3​
4​
26​
Chicago (Brother Rice) Crusaders5-4
13​
4​
22​
10​
New Lenox (Lincoln-Way Central) Knights 7A #88-1
29​
9​
1​
23​
Algonquin (Jacobs) Golden Eagles6-3
54​
14​
9​
3​
Quincy (Sr.) Blue Devils 7A #59-0
28​
8​
-5​
719​
30​
West Chicago (H.S.) Wildcats5-4
331​
32​
-2​
14​
Chicago (Whitney Young) Dolphins7-2
162​
26​
-12​
19​
Wheaton (North) Falcons6-3
45​
11​
8​
6​
Chicago (Mt. Carmel) Caravan 7A #18-1
2​
1​
5​
27​
Chicago (St. Rita) Mustangs5-4
24​
7​
20​
11​
Mt. Prospect (Prospect) Knights7-2
31​
10​
1​
22​
Buffalo Grove Bison6-3
96​
20​
2​

Reactions: corey90
I have said this for years. I think you should have option give up the home field to "put one in the bank" for later. Or maybe only the first two rounds that is allowed then quarters and semis are played with the current rules.
I have doubts that it would happen very often, but would be an interesting wrinkle. A coach would really have to be confident in a "running clock" type first round game.

Just an example, but let's say the York coaches saw the bracket and thought HF was an easy win (I don't think that, but just play along). Then they look at if the seeds hold, it's a trip to Edwardsville in the qtr's. Sacrifice the first round home game, and it's Edwardsville coming to York.

I have doubts that it would happen very often, but would be an interesting wrinkle. A coach would really have to be confident in a "running clock" type first round game.

Just an example, but let's say the York coaches saw the bracket and thought HF was an easy win (I don't think that, but just play along). Then they look at if the seeds hold, it's a trip to Edwardsville in the qtr's. Sacrifice the first round home game, and it's Edwardsville coming to York.
Not the best example because Edwardsville is the higher seed but point taken. The home game rule has long been a major flaw with the football playoffs. It is the only organization that I can think of that uses this format that allows a lower seed to host a game based on where the previous games were played. It happens in other sports but that is based on predetermined locations.

Not the best example because Edwardsville is the higher seed but point taken.
That's my point. Assuming no 'upsets' (big assumption), Edwardsville will have 2 home games, and York 2 home games. So qtr's at Edwardsville. If York "sacrificed" their first round home game, and both teams still met in qtr's, the hosting rule would have the game at York.

I think the higher seeded team should be rewarded with a home game for the first 2 weeks.

After that, it should all be neutral site games.

I know it would take some work to find these sites, but it could be done.

to be honest, the back and forth is fun, but I don't think the current setup is that bad. Simply because we all know the seeds aren't a true 1-32, or 1-16, of how good the teams are. So IHSA's response is to try and give as many teams as possible a chance to host.

There's no committee sitting in a hotel meeting room trying to accurately seed everyone. No 'bracketology' experts all over twitter.

That's my point. Assuming no 'upsets' (big assumption), Edwardsville will have 2 home games, and York 2 home games. So qtr's at Edwardsville. If York "sacrificed" their first round home game, and both teams still met in qtr's, the hosting rule would have the game at York.
True but Edwardsville could do the same thing. Or Glenbard West or Stevenson to throw off the home game formula. Sure Eddy would have a long ride for the first round but would prefer that if it meant a home quarterfinal. Most top seeds would elect to go on the road for the first round to get home games in later rounds.

True but Edwardsville could do the same thing. Or Glenbard West or Stevenson to throw off the home game formula. Sure Eddy would have a long ride for the first round but would prefer that if it meant a home quarterfinal. Most top seeds would elect to go on the road for the first round to get home games in later rounds.
And Low seeded teams that normally dont get to host a game get to play in front of their fans and experience a home playoff game.

I think then you kind of have to "play chess" with the other coaches. What if both teams set to meet in a quarterfinal elect to give up home field in round 1. Then they still end up at the higher seed in the quarters anyway. I just think it would be a fun little dynamic that could be added.

I'm not a fan of neutral site games for the semis, especially not the quarters. Too many moving parts and you lose some of the electricity of the game.

But we don't make the rules so here we are discussing!

Reactions: rjjtwest
If a coach were to "defer" home field for the first game, and wound up losing ... can you imagine the grief he'd get from the opposing fans (and his own fans)?

Thant's part of the fun!
Going back to my original York at Edwardsville example, the way it played out last week is another reason teams would probably not give up guaranteed home games. With LT beating Stevenson, a York/Edwardsville quarterfinal game would now be at York anyway (obviously requires they both need to win this week first).

In my opinion I like teams to have a chance to host if they pull an upset in round 1. However starting in he Quarterfinals, the higher seeded team should get home field advantage based on their past body of work

In my opinion I like teams to have a chance to host if they pull an upset in round 1. However starting in he Quarterfinals, the higher seeded team should get home field advantage based on their past body of work
I disagree. In that scenario, you could have the higher seeded playoff team having its third home playoff game vs a team that is playing its third straight road game. That doesn't seem right.

I disagree. In that scenario, you could have the higher seeded playoff team having its third home playoff game vs a team that is playing its third straight road game. That doesn't seem right.
The way it's designed the #1 team could have home field throughout if the games fell properly, so the system is designed to reward higher seeds. It just never works out because of the high seeds who don't play much competition.

Correct, but in the current set up, a team could not start the playoffs with 3 consecutive road games .

Correct, but in the current set up, a team could not start the playoffs with 3 consecutive road games .

Unlikely but possible if all lower seeds win on one side of bracket both rounds you could get #16 traveling to #13 in that scenario. 16 would have traveled to 9 round 2 and 12 would have went to 13.

Reactions: USD24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT