ADVERTISEMENT

What has happened to BR baseball

I think they have lots of juniors starting. I know their frosh last year were bad. Other than that coaching change happened. I really dont know if kids transferred or anything. Plus MC,SR,PC,StL all top ten teams and they play them twice.

On a side MC baseball:they have SEVEN sophs on Varsity,4 start and yet their sophs are still 13-2. MC at its best right now id say.

Ok, thanks for info. Just always seemed lIke Rice was in top 10. I heard the record and was a little shocked.

Rice starts one Senior - rest are Juniors and 2 Sophs.
Freshman ball means nothing - my brother's team was 10-19 as Freshman at Rice and then as Seniors won the CCL with a 17-2 league record in 1993.

U really cant put tons of stock in it. Kids up on Varsity,sophs etc. Just overall freshmen throughout program were down from my understanding.

I thought for sure that '93 Rice team was gonna do damage in playoffs. I think they were upset by Stagg. I was in shock they lost that early. Had Schmidt,Stritch,Panfil,Ficaro,Venable,Tracy.....It was Laurence though who got hot and took 3rd that year. That year Rice was in the North and only played Laurence,MC,Rita once.
This post was edited on 5/1 5:35 PM by DeanOfSelection

You're correct - they got beat by Stagg 3-1. I think Shepard actually won the regional that year. Rice just couldn't get anything solid on their curveballer. My brother played 3B for that team.

No. MC yes-'94. We had a nice summer team. Majority of our team was Rice but also had a lot of Rita guys. Schmidt and Stritch played a little with us. I seriously thought Rice was gonna win state in '93.

What I think Rice did was your brother won the job at 3rd and then they shifted Ficaro to left. That was such a potent lineup they had. SR,StL and Rice were all real good that year. If Rice coulda got past Regional(which back tehn was a big deal not like now) I think they coulda sailed.

I was surprised they didn't win the regional as well. As you know, anything can happen after that. Rice's strong suit that year was their hitting and their defense. Their pitching was solid, but you basically had Tracy (a hard thrower) and Dundee (a junk baller). They really didn't have a super solid 3 (Sexton was solid his Junior year as was Gorman) or a super closer like George Escobero (something spelled like that) who was there 2 years before. Stritch and Schmidt were terrific in 93.

i played on the chicago orioles in skyscraper league with Escobaret. Tracy u didnt know if he would be sober for game either.

I am pretty sure Stritch went to Northwestern. Great lefthand hitter. Linus has produced current NFL player Dave Diehl,Matt Conrath and more importantly Kevin Cronin of REO Speedwagon.

Correct - Stritch went to NU and Schmidt went to Triton then Cal. Panfil played at Valpo and Ficaro I believe played at Eastern Ill. Cronin and Diehl - Rice grads. I think Conrath went to Rita correct?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT