ADVERTISEMENT

Western Big Six/TRAC Week 6 and Week 7

jotapepe

Jul 20, 2021
I'm back, everyone. Had a rough few weeks at work, but things have quieted down again. (For now!) On with the reviews...

Rock Island 24, UTHS 14 - Throwing two pick-sixes in a game will kill you and that killed UT this week. No more, no less, and good for the Rocks for getting a win.
Quincy 56, Galesburg 19 - This one was 56-5 at half. No shocks here.
Sterling 13, Geneseo 3 - Geneseo was one yard away from a win. Heartbreak for the Leafs, and sweet redemption (and a lifeline) for the Golden Warriors.
This week:
Mendota at Geneseo - Leafs by 60. Mendota is not good, Geneseo is angry.
Quincy at Sterling - The longest drive of the year in the conference. Sterling played well last week, I do not think they can keep it close against the Devils.
Rock Island at Galesburg - There's some reason for joy and optimism in Rock Island, not much in Galesburg. I think the Rocks win by a few scores.
Moline at UTHS - UT could keep this close, but they also lost their chance at the playoffs last week. Moline, off a bye, looks stronger.

EP 35, Orion 34 - BIG upset, and not a good showing from the Chargers, who are now seriously on the outside looking in. EP will now be looking for a possible 3-6 record.
Rockridge 28, Monmouth-Roseville 13 - Perhaps a better performance from the Titans than I expected. Good win from Rockridge, but not what they hoped for.
Morrison 42, Sherrard 14 - No shock here for either team. Neither should be too thrilled or disappointed.
Mendota 35, Riverdale 14 - Riverdale has a loooooooong way to go. Good win, likely the only one of the year, for the Trojans.
Princeton 37, Kewanee 14 - Slightly surprised at the final score, as I thought the Boilers would keep it closer, but I think Princeton is just that good.
Newman 20, Bureau Valley 14 - Very much on brand for the Comets. Tough loss for BV, who now need two wins to get to the playoffs and would have to beat at least one of Princeton and Morrison.
Hall 32, IVC 24 - I expected more out of the Red Devils, playing a winless Grey Ghosts squad. Not a good sign going into the meat grinder part of the schedule.
This week:
EP at Riverdale - I don't think Erie-Prophetstown is very good, but they should be just fine in Port Byron.
Kewanee at Monmouth-Roseville - Sneaky tough game for the Boilermakers. Long-ish drive and not a simple game. I think Kewanee is a favorite but this is an upset alert.
Rockridge at Morrison - Rockridge is winning games but looking rather unimpressive. Morrison is winning games and looking like a real 1A threat. Mustangs should win at home.
Orion at Sherrard - I think Orion is more talented, but they are on a serious skid and don't have much momentum. Both teams need to win out going into the playoffs, and both have viable paths to get there. I think Sherrard is in better shape; I take the Tigers.
Bureau Valley at Princeton - This could've been a cool rivalry if given time, especially if Coach Pistole can keep this team improving. Shame it won't happen any more, most likely. Princeton should be just fine.
Hall at Newman - Newman's offensive struggles really strike me - their high score in regulation for the year is 20 points, achieved in both of their last two games. They should hold down Hall OK, and I think the Comets win, but they do need to find some points as they get into the playoffs where some real juggernauts await.

Piggybacking thoughts:

WB6
Geneseo over Mendota: Hope Mendota enjoyed the win cause they are heading into a storm...
Playoff outlook: Geneseo-Clinched, playing for seeding, conference might be out of reach now. Mendota-Better luck next year.
Quincy over Sterling: Don't think Sterling has another defensive miracle in them. Quincy wins, but not as easily as their past few games.
Playoff outlook: Quincy-Clinched and looked for that conference banner now. Sterling-The road to the playoffs will probably come down to week 9.
Rock Island over Galesburg: Rocky coming into this on a high. Galesburg looks like it is ready for basketball season.
Playoff outlook: Better luck next year to both teams.
Moline over United Township: The real question is how much of a spoiler does UT want to play? Having lost their playoff chance, who knows.
Playoff outlook: Moline should hit 5 wins by week 8. UT-better luck next year.

TRAC
Erie-Prophetstown over Riverdale: Panthers score their second win of the season. Rams are kinda helpless.
Playoff outlook: Better luck next year to both teams.
Kewanee over Monmouth-Roseville: Does the Boilermakers come into this one ready to right the ship or feeling sorry for themselves? I think its the former.
Playoff outlook: Kewanee-Clinched and playing for seeding. MR- Doable, but will need to be flawless the last two weeks.
Morrison over Rockridge: The Mustang train keeps running on through. This is Morrisons last big hurdle to an unbeaten season.
Playoff outlook: Morrison-Clinched and looking for a banner. Rockridge-Clinched and should finish no worse than 7-2
Sherrard over Orion: Orion has just nose dived and last weeks last second loss to EP might have just buried them. Huge game for both teams.
Playoff outlook: Sherrard-Win and they have a chance their last two games. Orion-Same boat as Sherrard.
Princeton over Bureau Valley: Tigers flex and pull away after half time.
Playoff outlook: Princeton-Clinched and playing for seeding. BV-Plausible, but unlikely as they still have to play Morrison.
Newman over Hall: Will probably be another one of those now trademarked, low scoring Newman games.
Playoff outlook: Newman-Clinched and playing for seeding (crazy stat: Newman is 5-1 but only has a 12 point difference between points scored and points given up). Hall-Technically doable...but more likely they lose their last 3 games.

Good preview as always - I think as long as Geneseo has Weller healthy for the Quincy game they will have a good shot at them. No doubt poor Mendota will be facing an angry bear lol after that Sterling ending.

I haven’t seen Quincy play this year, but I know a little bit about them from last year. I think the Sterling -Quincy game will be closer than you think.
1) Quincy has yet to beat Sterling.
2) Sterling is at home
3) I noticed Quincy has given up a few points this year. Maybe Sterlings offense can finally move the ball?
4)Sterlings defense is good,
Probably the best Quincy has seen all year.
So in Theory Quincy should win this game but if Sterlings offense can move the ball (for once ) and the D plays like they did last week, at home they have every chance of winning.
You predicted last week that they would lose to Geneseo by 3 scores.
I said it would be closer then you think but didn’t think they would win and look what happened. I don’t have real high hopes for this years team unless offense and the offensive line can start moving the football but I think they have a chance at beating Quincy.

The big difference between Geneseo and Quincy is Geneseo tries to beat you to death on offence. Quincy makes you chase receivers all over the field. If Sterling's front 4, especially Kendrick can get in the backfield like they did against Geneseo, that gives the secondary a chance.
I would love for Sterling to pull out the next 3 games. I am a Sterling grad. I just make some predictions on a forum based on what I have seen and hope I can shed some light on an area of IL that isnt Chicagoland or Springfield area. Sterling wants to keep proving me wrong each week? Great!

The big difference between Geneseo and Quincy is Geneseo tries to beat you to death on offence. Quincy makes you chase receivers all over the field. If Sterling's front 4, especially Kendrick can get in the backfield like they did against Geneseo, that gives the secondary a chance.
I would love for Sterling to pull out the next 3 games. I am a Sterling grad. I just make some predictions on a forum based on what I have seen and hope I can shed some light on an area of IL that isnt Chicagoland or Springfield area. Sterling wants to keep proving me wrong each week? Great!
Keep ‘em coming, enjoy reading your posts!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT