ADVERTISEMENT

Week 0 Scrimmage

I don't think that's it. Injuries could happen on a Tuesday practice. I don't think the week 0 scrimmage increases the risk of injury over any other time.
I am indifferent on this. I nor any of you know for sure their will be more injuries. You would need to know how many injuries happened before this new scrimmage. Then you would need to do a study after the new scrimmages. My mind is saying yes the number will rise but I have no basis other than it’s against other schools so the kids may go harder than a normal scrimmage.

I have no basis other than it’s against other schools so the kids may go harder than a normal scrimmage.
See that's where my curiosity comes in. I wonder just how intense these scrimmages will be.

It’s teenagers so I would expect them to want to impress.
In theory, but I think coaches will try to curb that as much as they can, depending on how they choose to play the scrimmage.

Players get hurt in their own scrimmages now. Players get hurt when you start full contact. Players will get hurt week one.

I don't think that's it. Injuries could happen on a Tuesday practice. I don't think the week 0 scrimmage increases the risk of injury over any other time.

It's something brand new. If a player is injured Week 0 in something brand new that not all schools are doing, the coach has to deal with the fallout and second-guessing. Easier to just avoid the situation and see how Week 0 goes in the first year for other schools.

I don't think it will be much different from going against a different team over the summer in terms of injury. It will be competitive but controlled. If you have a competitive game lined up for week one, a scrimmage will help going into that game. If your week one game isn't competitive, there is no need for a scrimmage. Scrimmages will help clean things up for the real game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT