ADVERTISEMENT

Week 0 Scrimmage

mc140

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Now that it is allowed, anyone hear of any agreements so far?

Are lower levels included in Week 0 scrimmage option? Also, how about the number of practices in order to compete rule(s)?

Last edited:
All.... I have two for the CS8. Both at home for the Raiders and Cyclones on 8-23 with game time of 6pm. Ratsy

Quincy Notre Dame v Decatur St. Teresa

Sacred Heart-Griffin v East St. Louis

Will scrimmages generally be full live contact? Or will QB's be in red shirts?
All.... Fwiw the details according to proposal 17. Ratsy

Reactions: JCHillmen
All.... Fwiw the details according to proposal 17. Ratsy

Proposal 17 (Passes 410-232-85): Creates the opportunity for football teams to conduct a pre-season scrimmage with another school. Specific scrimmage limitations include the following: Use of IHSA Officials, 4 separate 12 play segments, no special teams, 48 total play limits per player, no live contact or thud in practice the day before or after the scrimmage. Scrimmage to be held on Friday or Saturday of IHSA Week 7. Players are eligible to participate in the scrimmage after participating in 8 different days of practice.

I have read this several times and I'm not sure if it's just me being groggy or the actual wording, but that seems to create as many questions as it answers. I guess we'll see.

Proposal 17 (Passes 410-232-85): Creates the opportunity for football teams to conduct a pre-season scrimmage with another school. Specific scrimmage limitations include the following: Use of IHSA Officials, 4 separate 12 play segments, no special teams, 48 total play limits per player, no live contact or thud in practice the day before or after the scrimmage. Scrimmage to be held on Friday or Saturday of IHSA Week 7. Players are eligible to participate in the scrimmage after participating in 8 different days of practice.

I have read this several times and I'm not sure if it's just me being groggy or the actual wording, but that seems to create as many questions as it answers. I guess we'll see.
Yea if there is not more explicit direction in writing, it will essentially be "do whatever you want."

I would assume there will be more specific, written expectations coming in June or July. Or perhaps not and they will let the competing schools just do what they want within the very limited guidelines of 12 play drives, 48 plays max, etc.

Yea if there is not more explicit direction in writing, it will essentially be "do whatever you want."

I would assume there will be more specific, written expectations coming in June or July. Or perhaps not and they will let the competing schools just do what they want within the very limited guidelines of 12 play drives, 48 plays max, etc.
I like that it's open to interpretation. The coaches involved can discuss how they want things to happen and that can change from scrimmage to scrimmage.

For example, two teams could play it straight forward and each have the ball for a total of 24 plays utilizing their two 12 play drives. Two separate teams could discuss what they want to work on and decide they want break the 48 plays into six, 8 play drives instead.

MSFB has agreed to travel South right before LWE, but not sure if public yet... MS4Ever can comment when its official, but new and something to think about (especially afterwards IMO given potential injuries, etc.)

MSFB has agreed to travel South right before LWE, but not sure if public yet... MS4Ever can comment when its official, but new and something to think about (especially afterwards IMO given potential injuries, etc.)
All.... Well it's on their Hudl schedule. An 80 mile road trip. Game time set for 5:45. Ratsy

Suggestion
If JC is going to schedule a scrimmage, they should probably schedule a blue blood like that to get ready for their doozy of a schedule. As long as they come out of it healthy, they will need the scrimmage against a legit opponent to help them get battle tested for the rough road.

Iowa City
@ Oswego
Fenwick
Marist
@ Naz
@ ND
@MC
DLS
@PC

That's 2-4 games they will likely be favored in. Iowa City and DLS for sure. Fenwick and ND could be good games, but entering the preseason JC may be favored. Then the other 5 games they will be anywhere from a substantial underdog (MC, Naz) to a pick em at best (PC, Marist, Oswego).

The Oswego game should tell a lot. A fairly convincing victory there and you feel good about hitting 5 plus wins and making a run. Lose to Oswego and it will be scratching and clawing to get to 5 wins, forcing them to need a win against either Marist or PC, both of which should be dog fights.

Really don't like a marquee rivalry game in week 9, especially when they will likely be in the same class if they both qualify and could very well end up playing again in weeks 10, 11, or 12.

All.... In 2023 when the postseason teams were announced NLP ended up as the largest class 5A qualifier in that group of 32. Impossible of course to tell at this time but historical past numbers suggest the Celtics will once again be a "bubble" team right on the cut line and could go 6A .

I recall fom 2023 in week nine an unusual high number of schools didn't hold serve so to speak which played an important factor in NLP going 5A. 2024 will be the second year of the two Ihsa enrollment cycle for all schools. 2025 will bring out new numbers. Not sure how accurate this is but found a list that shows current student enrollment up for the Celtics now at 836 from the current cycle of 785.5. It appears in the near future they will be back in 6A. Ratsy

i'm told sterling hs will scrimmage sterling newman in week 0. it makes sense considering newman head coach mike lemay was a longtime assistant with jon schlemmer at sterling hs and they are good friends.

If JC is going to schedule a scrimmage, they should probably schedule a blue blood like that to get ready for their doozy of a schedule. As long as they come out of it healthy, they will need the scrimmage against a legit opponent to help them get battle tested for the rough road.

Iowa City
@ Oswego
Fenwick
Marist
@ Naz
@ ND
@MC
DLS
@PC

That's 2-4 games they will likely be favored in. Iowa City and DLS for sure. Fenwick and ND could be good games, but entering the preseason JC may be favored. Then the other 5 games they will be anywhere from a substantial underdog (MC, Naz) to a pick em at best (PC, Marist, Oswego).

The Oswego game should tell a lot. A fairly convincing victory there and you feel good about hitting 5 plus wins and making a run. Lose to Oswego and it will be scratching and clawing to get to 5 wins, forcing them to need a win against either Marist or PC, both of which should be dog fights.

Really don't like a marquee rivalry game in week 9, especially when they will likely be in the same class if they both qualify and could very well end up playing again in weeks 10, 11, or 12.
Oswego in week 2. Interesting rematch from round 1 of the 1989 playoffs.

Reactions: 4Afan
Being one of the bigger rule changes this year I'm surprised this hasn't had more of discussion. Any thoughts on how these scrimmages will play out? I got curious again after catching some college spring games over the weekend.

Do people think it will be played out straightforward like the rule states where each team will run their two 12 play drives each and be done? Will QBs be open to being hit? Will there be much hitting period?

It seems like many of these are scheduled are between teams where the coaches know each other or have some connection so I think there will be communication in advance as to how the scrimmage will play out. Maybe with each team's last 4 plays they work on goal to go situations or maybe they choose to play it as close to an actual game environment as possible.

@EdgyTim or anyone else in the know, thoughts?

Being one of the bigger rule changes this year I'm surprised this hasn't had more of discussion. Any thoughts on how these scrimmages will play out? I got curious again after catching some college spring games over the weekend.

Do people think it will be played out straightforward like the rule states where each team will run their two 12 play drives each and be done? Will QBs be open to being hit? Will there be much hitting period?

It seems like many of these are scheduled are between teams where the coaches know each other or have some connection so I think there will be communication in advance as to how the scrimmage will play out. Maybe with each team's last 4 plays they work on goal to go situations or maybe they choose to play it as close to an actual game environment as possible.

They will be heavily scripted. It is also first year so teams will figure out what works and what doesn't

It's been a very strange response so far....some schools are all in but the large majority have taken a very measured response......in most cases schools are having practices with other schools instead. It comes down to finding the "right" opponent

Sure seems like a chance for a school to possibly get some in-person scouting intel different from the normal intra-squad stuff seen in former Week 0 displays.

Sure seems like a chance for a school to possibly get some in-person scouting intel different from the normal intra-squad stuff seen in former Week 0 displays.

I think that is overblown at this point. Teams are scrimmaging all over all summer. Difference is the week 0 will have refs.

I think that Week 0 Cannot be a dick-measuring contest. A contender should play a middle of the road squad. Studs get new bodies to practice against. The also-rans get to see what the upper crust lives like. Studs get Twos some in game practice, which helps the Ones from the turd team.

JMO but this just seems like a way to hit someone else rather than the same kids over and over again. I'm not sure how much you can take away from a controlled scrimmage like this, maybe I am completely off.
I think you get more with a dual practice like the NFL does.

It's been a very strange response so far....some schools are all in but the large majority have taken a very measured response......in most cases schools are having practices with other schools instead. It comes down to finding the "right" opponent
Interesting. Are you hearing why schools are so measured and cautious? Are they worried about exposing too much of the playbook against a certain team? Injuries?

I get that it's new and no one has anything to measure it against, but I think that this is a great thing and that it can really help a lot of teams get ready for the season.

I think that Week 0 Cannot be a dick-measuring contest. A contender should play a middle of the road squad. Studs get new bodies to practice against. The also-rans get to see what the upper crust lives like. Studs get Twos some in game practice, which helps the Ones from the turd team.
See, I think we are looking at this from opposite perspectives. I see this trending more towards a casual scrimmage versus being game level intensity.

Even if an upper level team goes against a lesser opponent I don't think it will matter. I think both teams will work on what they want to work on and look at different players at different positions. I don't see the Week 0 scrimmages being used as a measuring stick in any way.

JMO but this just seems like a way to hit someone else rather than the same kids over and over again. I'm not sure how much you can take away from a controlled scrimmage like this, maybe I am completely off.
I think you get more with a dual practice like the NFL does.
In my eyes I'm picturing these eventually, maybe not year 1, being played similar to an NFL dual practice. They have refs and hit, but it's very loosely structured and teams discussing what they want to work on how they want the flow of the scrimmage to go.

I see them as a way to improve against someone else going into the season versus being viewed as a truly competitive environment.

Interesting. Are you hearing why schools are so measured and cautious? Are they worried about exposing too much of the playbook against a certain team? Injuries?

I get that it's new and no one has anything to measure it against, but I think that this is a great thing and that it can really help a lot of teams get ready for the season.
Injuries. Having the scrimmage in actual week 0 makes the risk outweigh the reward significantly. Schedule your scrimmages for June or July

Injuries. Having the scrimmage in actual week 0 makes the risk outweigh the reward significantly. Schedule your scrimmages for June or July
Players get hurt in their own scrimmages now. Players get hurt when you start full contact. Players will get hurt week one.

I don't think that's it. Injuries could happen on a Tuesday practice. I don't think the week 0 scrimmage increases the risk of injury over any other time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT