ADVERTISEMENT

Sterling football

All the more reason to shrink the classes from 8 to 6 AND add an unlimited opt into class to get the top 32 teams into it from all classes. That way really good 3A, 4A and 5A teams can opt in and test their mettle against the top teams from 6A-8A. Personally - i would think there would only be a handful of teams in 3A-5A that would even attempt it Year in and Year out - but until that option exists - I think it’s fruitless to try and compare the top 3A/4A teams with teams from the larger classifications.
Thank you for this, much clearer now for me to understand 8A football vs 5A football

I

I was really surprised MCC didn't beat Antioch 60-0
Antioch was 9-0 but they must have the weakest schedule on the face of the earth or I'm missing something, I saw that Antioch only beat Woodstock North by 1 point in the regular season, Rock Falls who plays 3A and only won 3 games all year, beat them by a touchdown, I am very familiar with Rock Falls seeing its right across the bridge from Sterling and I know if Sterling played them it would be 60-0 by half time, how did Antioch go 9-0 if they only beat a team Rock falls beat by one point? I expected a running clock by MCC before halftime, so when you say they beat a 9-0 team that doesn't say much. Dekalb beat Kaneland 31-13 Sterling beat Dekalb 33-3 Dekalb just knocked out Montini in the first round. In the past when Sterling has played MCC I'm praying for a few breaks and have always felt Sterling to be the underdog, this year I feel MCC is going to need a few good breaks.
Agreed

Please note, Rock Falls and Football should NEVER be in the same post.

Agreed, lol. But I still think Antioch would go 3-6 in the NIB 12 conference and 0-9 in the catholic conference. As far as Sterling not playing a tough conference, other than the catholic conference it's probably the 2nd best or one of the best IMO and their starters didn't play a second half all season, against Dekalb who just knocked out Montini in "the best"conference, Sterling blew out 33-3 and against Viator in "the best" conference running clocked 48-0 so I don't disagree about that being the best conference, but there comes a point a team is just good regardless the conference, give them some credit DCH 88

Thank you for this, much clearer now for me to understand 8A football vs 5A football

My post was not an attempt to help you understand any differences between 5A and 8A what I am saying is that it is like comparing Apples and Oranges unless those two fruits get into the same bowl/playoffs.

Sterlingwarrior how many playoff teams did Sterling play during the season and what class were they?
Aleman, Geneso, Roschelle 4A and DeKalb 6A.

Antioch beat Lake's and Grayslake North in 6a. Woodstock North in 5A.

ESCC:
ND and Marist 8A
Benet 7A
Naz 6A
MCC 5A

Sterling had a great season as a large fish in a easy conference just like last year. So you beat a beat up an injured Viator team. Do you really think Sterling makes it through healthy in ESCC playing bigger teams? No chance.

Get past a quarter final game then you can brag.

Lets Go Kaneland!!!

Sterlingwarrior how many playoff teams did Sterling play during the season and what class were they?

ESCC:
ND and Marist 8A
Benet 7A
Naz 6A
MCC 5A

Sterling had a great season as a large fish in a easy conference just like last year. So you beat a beat up an injured Viator team. Do you really think Sterling makes it through healthy in ESCC playing bigger teams? No chance.

ESCC:
ND and Marist 8A
Benet 7A
Naz 6A
MCC 5A

To answer your question, yes, yes I do believe they can and will. and I expect you to come back to this post and eat crow in two weeks. Or I will

Too much stupid jibber jabber. Have to get thru one week at a time during this part of the year. Save the waving of wienies for after the final games are played. That said...Kaneland is a great program and a foe Sterling should remember well. The boys rest on their laurels of last week, and it will be a round two elimination. Should be a tough game with some good football.

Too much stupid jibber jabber. Have to get thru one week at a time during this part of the year. Save the waving of wienies for after the final games are played. That said...Kaneland is a great program and a foe Sterling should remember well. The boys rest on their laurels of last week, and it will be a round two elimination. Should be a tough game with some good football.

I totally agree but DCH88 is ripping on the NIB 12 conference, I don't even know if he realizes Sterling plays in the same conference as Kaneland and had 5 common opponents. It is probably the best conference in the state IMO other than then His conference which no one doubts is the best for obvious reasons, I've followed football for years and watched Sterling get killed year after year when they meet JCA or Montini, it's usually the line play that does them in, this year Is different, A viator fan was saying the same thing before that game and look what happened, to say Sterling didn't play anyone and doesn't have a chance against WMC simply because his conference is so much better is assanine. Dekalb knocked Montini out of the playoffs from his spectacular conference and Sterling dominated Dekalb in week 9. Now, I'm not looking ahead, Kaneland is a great program and will be a great game, I'm just defending my team and our conference and saying in years past I would agree with him for the most part, but not this year.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the game. Like I said before Sterling is a really good team! It will be very tuff for Kanenland to stop them. For Kanenland to win they will need to control the clock and play smart. Rain on grass field may make this a closer game. Good luck to both teams!

Sterling Warrior, seriously... I am a Golden Warrior from the 70's, now transplanted to the suburbs. I bleed Blue and Gold and will sing Oskee Wawa with the best of them. Yet, your incessant homerism and chirping is causing even some of us beloved heartache. Let us fly under the radar! This thread is 4 pages too long because you keep pushing people's buttons. My sense is that you believe that Sterling has been long disrespected and nobody ever talks about them. But really, what have we ever done in the playoffs? If Sterling is as good as a lot us think they are, we will keep winning and the respect will come. Time to shut this thread down and prove it on the football field!

Sterling Warrior, seriously... I am a Golden Warrior from the 70's, now transplanted to the suburbs. I bleed Blue and Gold and will sing Oskee Wawa with the best of them. Yet, your incessant homerism and chirping is causing even some of us beloved heartache. Let us fly under the radar! This thread is 4 pages too long because you keep pushing people's buttons. My sense is that you believe that Sterling has been long disrespected and nobody ever talks about them. But really, what have we ever done in the playoffs? If Sterling is as good as a lot us think they are, we will keep winning and the respect will come. Time to shut this thread down and prove it on the football field!

thank you! many shs followers share this same sentiment!!!

From what I understand she is doing quite well. Please don’t quote me because I am not close to the family but believe she had a lengthy hospital stay and several surgeries. If I am not mistaken Kaneland donated the 50/50 to her family during the game. Can’t beat that.

Go Sterling! I also think this could be a deep run for sterling. St. Viator may be a tough team in one of or hell the best conference, but let’s see em stop Sterlings run game first before we crown the winner.

Go Sterling! I also think this could be a deep run for sterling. St. Viator may be a tough team in one of or hell the best conference, but let’s see em stop Sterlings run game first before we crown the winner.

I don't think anybody is picking Viator.

Last edited:
We could turn this revisited thread into a Sterling vs Saint Rita thread next week and talk about how much better the ECCL conference is than the Western Bix 6? LOL

We could turn this revisited thread into a Sterling vs Saint Rita thread next week and talk about how much better the ECCL conference is than the Western Bix 6? LOL

Unfortunately, it isn't be much of a comparison between the Western Big 6 and the ECCL. Because of that, it's difficult to figure out how good Sterling actually is - they really weren't tested at all this year. My feel is that Sterling has a better squad this year than they did last year, but not as good as two years ago when they were beaten by Phillips. I don't think they're as good this year in terms of athleticism (even though they have a couple special playmakers), but they seem to have better size/strength/depth up front than I've seen at Sterling. I'm going to predict Sterling takes care of Chicago Heights Marian in round 1, but loses to St Rita by a couple touchdowns in round 2.

As far as Sterling football is concerned, they have one of the best game-streaming operations going. I have no rooting interest in the Golden Warriors, but still watch a lot of their games simply because the coverage is so good. I trust all the Sterling faithful appreciate what a gem they have, especially given the atrocious coverage of some other NFHS Network games.

Unfortunately, it isn't be much of a comparison between the Western Big 6 and the ECCL. Because of that, it's difficult to figure out how good Sterling actually is - they really weren't tested at all this year. My feel is that Sterling has a better squad this year than they did last year, but not as good as two years ago when they were beaten by Phillips. I don't think they're as good this year in terms of athleticism (even though they have a couple special playmakers), but they seem to have better size/strength/depth up front than I've seen at Sterling. I'm going to predict Sterling takes care of Chicago Heights Marian in round 1, but loses to St Rita by a couple touchdowns in round 2.
Agreed, I’m not sure what to think this year either? I can’t judge if the big 6 is really that bad or Sterling is that good, they were definetly bigger boys in 7A and Sterlings O line controlled every game, with what you said I pretty much agree and It will be interesting to see how Sterling matches with Rita, it would not surprise me to see Rita blow them out and I also woukdent t be surprised if Sterling won. It will be interesting to see the score of the CHM -Sterling round 1 as Rita just beat them 3 weeks ago 55-7 If Sterling dosent dominate that game may be an indication of the Rita matchup.

Agreed, I’m not sure what to think this year either? I can’t judge if the big 6 is really that bad or Sterling is that good, they were definetly bigger boys in 7A and Sterlings O line controlled every game, with what you said I pretty much agree and It will be interesting to see how Sterling matches with Rita, it would not surprise me to see Rita blow them out and I also woukdent t be surprised if Sterling won. It will be interesting to see the score of the CHM -Sterling round 1 as Rita just beat them 3 weeks ago 55-7 If Sterling dosent dominate that game may be an indication of the Rita matchup.
Wasnt much of a game at all against Rita. It was a complete emptying of the bench game.
I was surprised they even made the playoffs til I saw their schedule. Picked the right out of conference teams and conference wins were against real struggling programs.

Reactions: Sterling Warrior

Yes, the common opponent angle will shed some light. Both teams need to focus on their R1 opponent, as I am assuming you agree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT