ADVERTISEMENT

Rochester St. Laurence

I don't believe MS4EVER is a Rocket fan. As for the talk from actual Rochester fans...some of us prefer to sit back and listen to the CCL/Northern IL fans tell us all the reasons we can't win. We've listened to it just about every year going back to 2010, but particularly in the Phillips, St. Rita, and Morris games. How our players are too small, too slow, or not ready for "Northern IL style football". It's more fun this way...makes the Friday after T'giving more memorable.
1. You guys really have a complex
2. We again? Player or coach?

Reactions: tmjgrady
1. Nobody is running their mouth, stop yourself
2. Rochester cannot push the idea of recruiting because they are masters of it
3. We? What position do you play or are you a coach?
4. Did you go to Michigan?
In your favorite “World Famous” thread, I have it as Rochester 42 St. Laurence 14. As good as the Rockets are at football, their fan base or coaches are better at saying the CCL/ESCC fans don’t respect them. I’m so confused.

In your favorite “World Famous” thread, I have it as Rochester 42 St. Laurence 14. As good as the Rockets are at football, their fan base or coaches are better at saying the CCL/ESCC fans don’t respect them. I’m so confused.
It's incredible how tone deaf people truly can be on here!

Reactions: RockSoup
Not everyone was surprised. Some people knew that SR would be significantly out-coached.
The Rochester faithful were definitely surprised at how easily the Rockets ran up and down the field against a supposed stellar team.

1. Nobody is running their mouth, stop yourself
2. Rochester cannot push the idea of recruiting because they are masters of it
3. We? What position do you play or are you a coach?
4. Did you go to Michigan?
Yes, I did.

My comment about running mouths was how the Rochester faithful like to let the north do the talking. It’s OK to do so. They see it every season they make it to the finals. And it’s perfectly acceptable. I don’t see why that comment is offensive to you.

As for the recruiting comment, stop. That argument is about as tired and stale as the idea of separating public from private schools in the playoffs. It’s a dumb argument to separate. It’s a dumb comment by tou on recruiting.

It's almost like Leonard has no idea what football players are coming to Rochester until the 1st day of school. Incredible what he does with a rag tag bunch of kids he's never seen or talked to before!
It’s almost like Rochester doesn’t have a JFL or something starting in the third grade. Weird. Some years they’re awesome. Some years they’re great. Some years they’re good. And some years they struggle. But they show up and learn. But I’ll tell you what… The average home price in Rochester is $250,000.. 99% of all dwellings in Rochester are single-family structures. 92% of all homes are owner occupied. 95% of all homes in Rochester are occupied. The parents show up and fill the stands. The teachers are fantastic. Rochester was just recognized by the Illinois state Board of education as exemplary with their 94.1% graduation rate. The streets are clean. The communities are safe. The teachers care about the students. What parent would not want their child in an environment in which the teachers will actually teach? But you will just call that recruiting.

But you will just call that recruiting.
Cool misdirection there.

If you think Leonard isn't talking to these kids from the first sign they are interested in football, I can't help you, and you need to get your money back from Michigan. They did you a massive disservice.

• Haha
Reactions: cigaros
It’s almost like Rochester doesn’t have a JFL or something starting in the third grade. Weird. Some years they’re awesome. Some years they’re great. Some years they’re good. And some years they struggle. But they show up and learn. But I’ll tell you what… The average home price in Rochester is $250,000.. 99% of all dwellings in Rochester are single-family structures. 92% of all homes are owner occupied. 95% of all homes in Rochester are occupied. The parents show up and fill the stands. The teachers are fantastic. Rochester was just recognized by the Illinois state Board of education as exemplary with their 94.1% graduation rate. The streets are clean. The communities are safe. The teachers care about the students. What parent would not want their child in an environment in which the teachers will actually teach? But you will just call that recruiting.
So Derek never talked to a Kid? Not even to keep the kid from playing for Ken???? I find that very hard to believe.

I have a friend who used to live in Springfield and worked in the State Fire Marshals Office. When he retired he moved to Jacksonville Illinois. He used to tell me about the USS Leonard. In the morning it would leave the East side of Lake Springfield by the Lincoln Greens Golf Course with the kids from Rochester and take them to the Firefighters Lake Club for the SHG bus. Then the USS Leonard would make the return trip from Springfield to Rochester with the kids getting on the Rochester bus. There were always more kids in the morning going East than West. Free is always better than having to pay for it. If Rochester is really Maybarry, why do people from Rochester pay to go to SHG?? I guess I have to tell him it was a figment of his imagination. Must be that white lighting they all drink down there from mason jars.

Last edited:
  • Haha
So Derek never talked to a Kid? Not even to keep the kid from playing for Ken???? I find that very hard to believe.

I have a friend who used to live in Springfield and worked in the State Fire Marshals Office. When he retired he moved to Jacksonville Illinois. He used to tell me about the USS Leonard. In the morning it would leave the East side of Lake Springfield by the Lincoln Greens Golf Course with the kids from Rochester and take them to the Firefighters Lake Club for the SHG bus. Then the USS Leonard would make the return trip from Springfield to Rochester with the kids getting on the Rochester bus. There were always more kids in the morning going East than West. Free is always better than having to pay for it. If Rochester is really Maybarry, why do people from Rochester pay to go to SHG?? I guess I have to tell him it was a figment of his imagination. Must be that white lighting they all drink down there from mason jars.
No, sadly you are correct. Rochester schools are awful. That's why our student population is declining. We have to stem the flow to SHG who is reaping the benefits of this flight.

Probably why DL hasn't been able to attract any talent. This team only has one kid who didn't grow up in RSD.

• Haha
World famous CCL prediction thread has Rochester winning 42-28. Anyone not good wit this? Lotta points. I was thinking more like 28-14

• Wow
World famous CCL prediction thread has Rochester winning 42-28. Anyone not good wit this? Lotta points. I was thinking more like 28-14
I agree. STL will chew up lots of clock on the ground. Couple that with colder temps and a chance of precipitation, and that's a recipe for a low scoring game. 28-14, 35-21 are good guesses.

Cool misdirection there.

If you think Leonard isn't talking to these kids from the first sign they are interested in football, I can't help you, and you need to get your money back from Michigan. They did you a massive disservice.
JFL is where it starts. And there is nothing wrong with a coach talking to his own future players in the Rochester JFL. Are you this dense? I’m on the board a bunch. And it is astounding to see the borderline autistic comments from people who don’t understand how to be successful in the proper way. And this is why other programs are not as successful on a consistent basis. What is happening down here is genuine, borderline miraculous and something likely never to be repeated. But Ive got to be very frank with you, the absolute inability to comprehend a third grader going to his community’s varsity games has an indelible impact on goalsetting. I’ve sat in the stands with eighth graders who know next year they will be playing for a coach because they want to play for him. My God keep the double digit IQ responses to yourself.

Reactions: FB1976
I just assumed the reason we didn't hear from the Rochester fanbase is because you guys don't have wifi down there.
And there it begins with the inane comments from the North. Can we just get to a 1-32 seeding so we can put an end to absolute ignoramus
mentality from the I-80 and up crowd? Nearly all of you had IC Catholic in the final. Most of us in the South bracket thought Morris would drop to 4A and be the real force in the North. But everybody ignored St. Laurence up there.

Hell, if I was a St. Laurence can, I’d be calling all
If you out for your supposed football knowledge. The Vikings did beat the Knights afterall.

He said he went to Michigan…never said he graduated!

STL -2.5 just because of the fan arrogance!
At no point did I say Rochester would win. But I said we are very quiet about our expectations because we know the north will run their mouths as is happening right here. By the way, graduated in 3 1/2 years. But you paid for the Masters Degree, thank you, and you’re welcome, USMC 0331

Reactions: PJD1970
JFL is where it starts. And there is nothing wrong with a coach talking to his own future players in the Rochester JFL. Are you this dense? I’m on the board a bunch. And it is astounding to see the borderline autistic comments from people who don’t understand how to be successful in the proper way. And this is why other programs are not as successful on a consistent basis. What is happening down here is genuine, borderline miraculous and something likely never to be repeated. But Ive got to be very frank with you, the absolute inability to comprehend a third grader going to his community’s varsity games has an indelible impact on goalsetting. I’ve sat in the stands with eighth graders who know next year they will be playing for a coach because they want to play for him. My God keep the double digit IQ responses to yourself.
You said he doesn’t recruit, so what’s he talking to them about if he’s not talking about football? Their favorite thing to do during recess?

I love you Michigan boys. So book smart but so street stupid. Walk east nerd. Til your hat floats.

• Haha
Please stop posting with a thesaurus by your side. Your word choice doesn’t always match your desired meaning or tenor. Once you start posting with words you understand, please learn how to punctuate. And finally, autism is a spectrum disorder, so you’re never really on the edge of anything but rather somewhere within a range of said spectrum. So where do you land on that spectrum?

At no point did I say Rochester would win. But I said we are very quiet about our expectations because we know the north will run their mouths as is happening right here. By the way, graduated in 3 1/2 years. But you paid for the Masters Degree, thank you, and you’re welcome, USMC 0331
So you’re telling me your MOS was as a heavy Machine gunner with a masters degree from Michigan? It’s just so unusual for retired military to pull this card, let alone a Marine.

OMG! I started this thread just to get a reaction. Took awhile. Snark city. People agree on the outcome ( Rochester by 14) but are attacking on other topics like public school recruiting (which really can’t happen without gettin caught). Awesome response by all. Thanks to all. So entertaining

Reactions: cigaros and 4Afan
I truly hope this is tongue in cheek.
Too many whistle blowers. Ask Nap Central or Main South. Now, you can uproot and move into the district or get your kid an apartment (it happens, but rare), but in Rochester?

I am a fan of many schools Rochester included. I can appreciate great coaching and hard work when I see it. Good luck to both teams!
And we appreciate you being a true fan of Cascia. Next three years should be good ones for SR; we'll need your support. Tough loss the other day, but MS will always be in the mix.

• Love
Reactions: MS4EVER
So fun. Larry fans are thinking “what the hell, what about the game”.

Why aren’t we asking why the Dixon Dukes took Laurence onto Q 4 ?
Don’t ask questions you don’t want answers to.

So when everyone's done beating this to death Rochester is still a favorite by at least a good couple of scores. I'm a little intrigued about how it worked between Derek Leonard and his father Ken Leonard at SHG. Did Rochester lose many kids to SHG? Was there friendly banter about this? Is there another Catholic school that Rochester and SHG had to complete against for students? This is not a ball busting post. More interest in the human interest side of this. Ken Leonard is retired now. I guess he’s still going to all the SHG games and makes the Rochester games when they are not in conflict with SHG?

So when everyone's done beating this to death Rochester is still a favorite by at least a good couple of scores. I'm a little intrigued about how it worked between Derek Leonard and his father Ken Leonard at SHG. Did Rochester lose many kids to SHG? Was there friendly banter about this? Is there another Catholic school that Rochester and SHG had to complete against for students? This is not a ball busting post. More interest in the human interest side of this. Ken Leonard is retired now. I guess he’s still going to all the SHG games and makes the Rochester games when they are not in conflict with SHG?
The one big loss I'm aware of a young man living in the Rochester district but attending SHG was a talented basketball player on the Cyclones state title team 2 years ago.

The closest Catholic high schools to SHG are Decatur St Teresa (2A school about 40 minutes away) and Jacksonville Routt (1A school about 30 minutes away). St Teresa has had a very successful program until this year when forced to play an independent schedule.

Ken's grandson was the Freshman QB for Rochester this year. I saw him at every Freshman game I attended. I also saw him at the Morris-SHG playoff game but don't know if he was going to all the SHG games.

So I'm sure there are some who may also be able to answer your great questions, but I'll take a stab at them.

It was no secret that DL and KL hated the Leonard Bowl. They are both fiercely competitive, but very family oriented men. They had to make agreements on Leonard Bowl week to not talk about football. They often wouldn't even speak that week so the topic didn't come up.

Rochester did not lose many athletes to SHG. There were a few that lived in the RSD that went there, but most stayed. Both are good schools so there really wasn't an educational motivation to flee Rochester. Almost all of the kids who play at Rochester grew up there. Despite the claims, Rochester and DL do not go out and poach athletes from other schools. Do some come for the program? Absolutely...but the number of impactful players who didn't grow up playing Rocket JFL is less than 10 over the last 14 years.

By the same token, most of SHG's players rose up thru Catholic schools. Yes, they have been a recipient of lots of public school talent, but good on them and good on the kids for taking advantage of getting a better education than Springfield Public Schools can provide.

There are no other Catholic HSs in Springfield and the other private schools don't have good football programs. The closest decent Catholic programs are way outside a 30 mile radius (QND, BCC, St. T).

I've seen and talked to KL at SHG games so yes he still goes, but he's also been climbing the Rocket stands to be an eye in the sky for every Rocket playoff game. Remember all three of his grandsons are playing Rocket football (Freshman, 7th grade, 3rd grade).

By-and-large, the Rocket and SHG fan bases are on friendly terms. DL and KL were heavily involved in FCA as are many of their athletes. They both know (knew) the kids on the other team on a first name basis.

Also, to clear up one more misconception about Springfield kids going to Rochester....yes there are kids with a Springfield postal address who live in the RSD. Some posters apparently believe the Rochester National Guard conquered Springfield territory because they don't know how school districts work. The RSD boundaries have existed since the early 1900s and Springfield city proper expanded into the RSD...mainly because people wanted to flee Springfield for better schools. Not quite sure what the motivation is for posters pointing out Springfield addresses at RSD. No one has been able to tell me how a postal address confers a special advantage for football. Those same posters would be shocked to know there are kids with Rochester addresses attending Glenwood schools (see New City area).

Again...thanks for the honest questions!

And there it begins with the inane comments from the North.
You continuously refer to Chicagoland fans as "the North" I'm sure you understand the historical significance of this term and I find it a little unsettling, perhaps even inane!

• Haha
So I'm sure there are some who may also be able to answer your great questions, but I'll take a stab at them.

It was no secret that DL and KL hated the Leonard Bowl. They are both fiercely competitive, but very family oriented men. They had to make agreements on Leonard Bowl week to not talk about football. They often wouldn't even speak that week so the topic didn't come up.

Rochester did not lose many athletes to SHG. There were a few that lived in the RSD that went there, but most stayed. Both are good schools so there really wasn't an educational motivation to flee Rochester. Almost all of the kids who play at Rochester grew up there. Despite the claims, Rochester and DL do not go out and poach athletes from other schools. Do some come for the program? Absolutely...but the number of impactful players who didn't grow up playing Rocket JFL is less than 10 over the last 14 years.

By the same token, most of SHG's players rose up thru Catholic schools. Yes, they have been a recipient of lots of public school talent, but good on them and good on the kids for taking advantage of getting a better education than Springfield Public Schools can provide.

There are no other Catholic HSs in Springfield and the other private schools don't have good football programs. The closest decent Catholic programs are way outside a 30 mile radius (QND, BCC, St. T).

I've seen and talked to KL at SHG games so yes he still goes, but he's also been climbing the Rocket stands to be an eye in the sky for every Rocket playoff game. Remember all three of his grandsons are playing Rocket football (Freshman, 7th grade, 3rd grade).

By-and-large, the Rocket and SHG fan bases are on friendly terms. DL and KL were heavily involved in FCA as are many of their athletes. They both know (knew) the kids on the other team on a first name basis.

Also, to clear up one more misconception about Springfield kids going to Rochester....yes there are kids with a Springfield postal address who live in the RSD. Some posters apparently believe the Rochester National Guard conquered Springfield territory because they don't know how school districts work. The RSD boundaries have existed since the early 1900s and Springfield city proper expanded into the RSD...mainly because people wanted to flee Springfield for better schools. Not quite sure what the motivation is for posters pointing out Springfield addresses at RSD. No one has been able to tell me how a postal address confers a special advantage for football. Those same posters would be shocked to know there are kids with Rochester addresses attending Glenwood schools (see New City area).

Again...thanks for the honest questions!
65k dollar question. What did Mrs. Leonard sit? Or did she sit half on each side?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT