ADVERTISEMENT

Records at this Point?

JCA is 3-3. About what I expected. Beat two good teams in Rice and LWN. Going to be a very up and down year for the Hilltoppers.

JCA is 3-3. About what I expected. Beat two good teams in Rice and LWN. Going to be a very up and down year for the Hilltoppers.
Looks like you were spot on in questioning their offensive capabilities. Voss rarely has a good hitting team, but the early returns suggest this one may really struggle to score runs.

Rita and Marist are in So Carolina and Laurence was in AZ, Just lost to Vegas Bishop Gorman 3-2 giving 3 in bot 7th.

Looks like you were spot on in questioning their offensive capabilities. Voss rarely has a good hitting team, but the early returns suggest this one may really struggle to score runs.
Nice 13-3 win today for JCA over a pretty good Minooka team in the WJOL tourney.

Drake Fellows generates some interest from scouts, similar to a young DOS at MC (back in the day).

I saw Laurence lost the 2nd game to Gorman 16-3. Obviously ran short on arms I assume their top guy threw first game vs them. My experience with Northern teams and warm weather teams is your top guy could be top guy on their staff but it is when u get to that 3rd and 4th guy in rotation huge drop off.

MC is 6-1 lost to SHG yesterday committing 4 errors. I have some concerns. Going up the middle they have started a different guy at 2nd base every game , seem to kick ball around alot and don't appear to have pitching depth.

I saw Laurence lost the 2nd game to Gorman 16-3. Obviously ran short on arms I assume their top guy threw first game vs them. My experience with Northern teams and warm weather teams is your top guy could be top guy on their staff but it is when u get to that 3rd and 4th guy in rotation huge drop off.
I imagine Bishop Gorman is littered with D1 kids, the football and basketball programs are out of this world. The school looks like a D3 campus.

JCA has a great 1-2 pitching combination, don't they? I think they'll be fine in the end. Get great pitching in the playoffs, and anything can happen. A lot of low-scoring games in those playoffs.

The numbers suggest otherwise. I went back and looked and JCA has either led the conference or has scored the second most runs in their conference in 8 of the last 10 years.

The numbers suggest otherwise. I went back and looked and JCA has either led the conference or has scored the second most runs in their conference in 8 of the last 10 years.
My comment was more in reference to his style of coaching. When I think of JC baseball, I think of pitching and defense. His teams, historically, do a lot of bunting and take a lot of pitches. I would expect them to have good run scoring totals, as compared to the rest of the ESCC, because they are consistently one of the top teams in the conference. My comparison was based on what other top programs emphasize. For instance, when Jim Hall was the coach at Lockport, he tended to have strong hitting teams, since hitting was his area of expertise as a coach.

USD....on a different note....did you read some of the comments in the JHN regarding the WJOL Tournament from this weekend? I found the whole resolution/declaration of saying Provi won the tournament with an "asterisk" to be bizarre. Here's a few questions:

1. Why was the Provi/JT Central semi-final game played, when all the others (including the JC/Lockport semi) cancelled on Saturday?
2. Why couldn't the tournament have been completed on Sunday? The weather was good enough to play. Even if Silver Cross Field was not available, the games could have been played at JC or Provi.
3. How could they say Provi won the tournament? The thing was canceled.

I found the whole recap to be bizarre, especially the comments from the Provi side saying how proud they were to have won the tournament.

USD....on a different note....did you read some of the comments in the JHN regarding the WJOL Tournament from this weekend? I found the whole resolution/declaration of saying Provi won the tournament with an "asterisk" to be bizarre. Here's a few questions:

1. Why was the Provi/JT Central semi-final game played, when all the others (including the JC/Lockport semi) cancelled on Saturday?
2. Why couldn't the tournament have been completed on Sunday? The weather was good enough to play. Even if Silver Cross Field was not available, the games could have been played at JC or Provi.
3. How could they say Provi won the tournament? The thing was canceled.

I found the whole recap to be bizarre, especially the comments from the Provi side saying how proud they were to have won the tournament.

Scott Slocum, the tourney director, kind of gave an explanation on his facebook page.
1. He basically said Central wanted to play, so Provy agreed, even though the conditions were terrible.
2. Per district rules, Lockport cannot play games on Sunday, so that was out.
3. Wasn't really addressed. On his radio show, he more or less said that they had the trophies, why not give them out and make the kids feel good.

I do think it is odd that you crown a champion when the tourney wasn't completed.

MC is still 6-1 because they haven't played a game since March 31st with this weather...This is Chicago, IHSA really needs to consider starting the season in the middle of April and finishing at the end of June at all levels.

Reactions: USD24
Scott Slocum, the tourney director, kind of gave an explanation on his facebook page.
1. He basically said Central wanted to play, so Provy agreed, even though the conditions were terrible.
2. Per district rules, Lockport cannot play games on Sunday, so that was out.
3. Wasn't really addressed. On his radio show, he more or less said that they had the trophies, why not give them out and make the kids feel good.

I do think it is odd that you crown a champion when the tourney wasn't completed.

On Friday, I read that Lockport was scheduled to play Lemont on Sunday. I presume it was cancelled due to weather, but I found it odd that they could not play in the WJOL tourney on a Sunday, but were scheduled to play yesterday, which was a Sunday

MC is still 6-1 because they haven't played a game since March 31st with this weather...This is Chicago, IHSA really needs to consider starting the season in the middle of April and finishing at the end of June at all levels.
Is their field that bad?

Hmm. Lots of teams in the Chicagoland area have been squeezing games in

What are you implying? They do have a very nice field and the weather has been brutal. Odd comment.
Not implying anything. I'm just merely stating that it is odd that they haven't played since March since other teams have been.

No clue what will happen in Blue. Will be interesting to see how WSF does here vs BR SR StL MC PC. Even LA is 11-3.

MC big win at Laurence Sat. Its gonna be such a meat grinder w WSF, SR, PC ,BR, Stl again today, LA is not bad.

MC lost to StL and split. Very concerned about the pitching. 80% of the time teams will split head to head like this ie MC/Stl , SR/PC. I wish they would do it like D1 with 3 game weekend sets.

MC lost to StL and split. Very concerned about the pitching. 80% of the time teams will split head to head like this ie MC/Stl , SR/PC. I wish they would do it like D1 with 3 game weekend sets.
The Suburban Prairie conference plays 3 games series within conference (Tue,Wed,Thurs)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT