ADVERTISEMENT

Production value

4Afan

Sep 15, 2001
I know the IHSA does the best they can, but what are the biggest issues preventing them providing a better product? Look at this highlight from Michigan. Bally's is an RSN that broadcasts these games and the quality is great, there appears to be several cameras, and what appears to be enthusiastic, knowledgeable announcers.

Is the IHSA that cash strapped or can they not sell more ad space other than the same 4-5 commercials they had? Would love to know what the numbers are, maybe outside of us degenerates there's not an overall interest in high school football in Illinois.

Look up IHSA’s IRS Form 990, they are not cash strapped, they pay their staff at a rate multiples of other state organizations well into the 6 figures with nice meaty pensions. These organizations in PA, TX, OH, and FL have many volunteers and no one making the salaries and pensions of these guys. I remember posting one year when Marty was running the IhSA and his deferred compensation was over $400k that year. Others came in defending his salary, Cadillac company car, and pension plan, pointing to him being able to be a school board exec making the same money so the IHsA needed to be competitive. Seems other states look at these positions as short time honorariums rather then career track positions for the chosen few. It’s just another Illinois institution of graft. Reminds me of the PA turnpike authority!

I love IRS Form 990 and have used that tactic to eff up some stuff.
As have I. There was a high school HC in Chicagoland that I caught with his hand in the cookie jar of his 501c3 with the address of incorporation at the school. When I went to said school and requested the 990s for the past 7 years they looked at me like I had 5 heads. Then we found the mother load when digging deeper that he used the school districts postal meter(the franking privilege one) for his summer camp mailing over multiple years and over 500k mailers. All in the money was staggering and in excess of $750k that landed in his pocket. Suffice to say he was relieved of his teaching and coaching position and allowed to resign.

I know the IHSA does the best they can, but what are the biggest issues preventing them providing a better product? Look at this highlight from Michigan. Bally's is an RSN that broadcasts these games and the quality is great, there appears to be several cameras, and what appears to be enthusiastic, knowledgeable announcers.

Is the IHSA that cash strapped or can they not sell more ad space other than the same 4-5 commercials they had? Would love to know what the numbers are, maybe outside of us degenerates there's not an overall interest in high school football in Illinois.

Ive never been able to watch the broadcast on the cw, only nfhs. I can say that if i never see another Takis ad id be just fine!

I watched the ESL vs Atascocita broadcast on whatever TX prep network they had and it was impressive, esp for a week 3 game. You could tell the color guy and analysts were full time professionals at what they do.

Jwar what school and coach?. The situation you described seems as though the States Attorney or Attorney General would have an interest.

First of all Bally's is a bankrupt network who is still trying to remain alive and the future does not look good for them FYI. And feel free to review the announcers....but as someone who was a part of the broadcast this year I know everyone involved is busting their ass and doing the best they can and to make it a quality product which I feel it was this weekend. I can also tell you that the overall viewership is always good but not great.

Also go ahead and bag on Dave Bernhard and we got fighting words sir....

I watched a good chunk and thought the broadcast was good. I watched 1A the following day and missed first half of 3A. Attended 2A and watched most of Saturday.
Bernhardt has always been enjoyable and my favorite of the group. Rodewold and Lindo are solid. The color guy for the late Saturday games was good too (forgot his name.) Jack is a cliche machine, who I’ve bagged in the past, but he only left me with a few head scratchers this go around. Sideline reporter had a few gaffes, but we’ve certainly seen worse. Having Edgy doing halftime, pre and post was obviously a big plus. Kenny was a little distracting lol.
Maybe I’m getting more tolerant in my years, but I appreciated the broadcast as I love watching the games every year, but it’s highly unlikely that I’ll be out in those elements for two straight days.

First of all Bally's is a bankrupt network who is still trying to remain alive and the future does not look good for them FYI. And feel free to review the announcers....but as someone who was a part of the broadcast this year I know everyone involved is busting their ass and doing the best they can and to make it a quality product which I feel it was this weekend. I can also tell you that the overall viewership is always good but not great.

All.... Ratsy

Reactions: EdgyTim

Amen Edgy. As with officiating, everyone's an expert with an opinion from the comfort of their recliner.

Would appreciate any inside insight you can provide.

Yes, Bally's is circling the drain, but that just creates more questions on my end. Why can a failing/failed company still put out a better quality product than what Illinois has?

It's not just Bally's and Michigan, when Iowa games have been on Marquee that is a much better product then what the IHSA puts out as well. My main question there is why is Marquee showing Iowa playoff games in Illinois?

Overall, they did a fine job, but for me it's all the little things that add up for me that makes Illinois come off like a second rate operation. From not having the scoreboard graphic figured out until the second half of the 1A game to announcers being confused as to why a team was given a timeout when they thought they had none but the graphic clearly showing they had two, to the 5A announcers saying that Naz has never had a QB like they have now after having a full segment about JJ earlier in the game. Or when introducing the Naz offense and putting up a graphic showing the StL offense.

If IHSA has the money that others have said they have then why not put part of that towards upping the production budget for their title games? More cameras?

Does the IHSA not make TV coverage for their sports a priority or is there not the demand for it? Outside of football, they still show basketball, but do they still televise the baseball championships, volleyball, or track and field? All of these I know they have done in the past.

Amen Edgy. As with officiating, everyone's an expert with an opinion from the comfort of their recliner.
Not claiming to be an expert at all, more just looking for answers as to why neighboring states can put out a higher quality product. Why do their games look so much better than Illinois'? Especially if the IHSA has the money that others here claim they do.

Reactions: William Foster
Would appreciate any inside insight you can provide.

Yes, Bally's is circling the drain, but that just creates more questions on my end. Why can a failing/failed company still put out a better quality product than what Illinois has?

It's not just Bally's and Michigan, when Iowa games have been on Marquee that is a much better product then what the IHSA puts out as well. My main question there is why is Marquee showing Iowa playoff games in Illinois?

Overall, they did a fine job, but for me it's all the little things that add up for me that makes Illinois come off like a second rate operation. From not having the scoreboard graphic figured out until the second half of the 1A game to announcers being confused as to why a team was given a timeout when they thought they had none but the graphic clearly showing they had two, to the 5A announcers saying that Naz has never had a QB like they have now after having a full segment about JJ earlier in the game. Or when introducing the Naz offense and putting up a graphic showing the StL offense.

If IHSA has the money that others have said they have then why not put part of that towards upping the production budget for their title games? More cameras?

Does the IHSA not make TV coverage for their sports a priority or is there not the demand for it? Outside of football, they still show basketball, but do they still televise the baseball championships, volleyball, or track and field? All of these I know they have done in the past.
1. $$$$$ Bally stations have much more advanced equipment and such and outside of that I'm sure others here especially Matt Rodewald can give you more specifics

2. Marquee gets access to those OOS games for free it is truly free content for them to use and if they have nothing better to show they will show those games.....which I think is awesome. They can't show IHSA when they don't have the rights to it.

3. Graphics no question was an issue all weekend they had tech issues...no question something that will get worked out but I know they tried hard to get it corrected. It's live TV _hit happens sadly.

The rest I don't have an answer for unfortunately

I’d guess, given the profile of the advertisers this weekend, the demand for this product is low.

Reactions: 4Afan
2. Marquee gets access to those OOS games for free it is truly free content for them to use and if they have nothing better to show they will show those games.....which I think is awesome. They can't show IHSA when they don't have the rights to it.
Marquee broadcasted the Prep Bowl live Friday and the picture was perfect. Replay people were top drawer and it seemed like they had an extra camera on the field. My cable provider did not have Friday IHSA games only the Saturday games. Had to watch Friday games via roof mount antenna.

Not claiming to be an expert at all, more just looking for answers as to why neighboring states can put out a higher quality product. Why do their games look so much better than Illinois'? Especially if the IHSA has the money that others here claim they do.
Nope got no issues with what you bring up...and as far as Marquee is concerned I'm also with you.

Reactions: 4Afan
Marquee broadcasted the Prep Bowl live Friday and the picture was perfect. Replay people were top drawer and it seemed like they had an extra camera on the field. My cable provider did not have Friday IHSA games only the Saturday games. Had to watch Friday games via roof mount antenna.
I was also extremely impressed with the Prep Bowl coverage on Marquee. Broadcast/replays were great and I really enjoyed Henry Burris on the call. Would be a shame if they don't lean into broadcasting more regular season Chicagoland games.

Reactions: CCHS-Fan
I don't know for sure, but have to assume Marquee being owned by Sinclair Broadcasting Group has something to do with their ability to put more money into production. Off baseball season, Marquee has to be desperate for content, as content drive eyeballs, and eyeballs drive advertising money.

After reading Matt Rodewald's tutorial on TV coverage presented on this board many weeks ago, I have changed my outlook from critic to grateful recipient of whatever is presented. Very difficult endeavor for them, especially when we rag on them for not having same inside info as local radio guys or use college/pro announcing and production teams as a comparison.

I don't know for sure, but have to assume Marquee being owned by Sinclair Broadcasting Group has something to do with their ability to put more money into production. Off baseball season, Marquee has to be desperate for content, as content drive eyeballs, and eyeballs drive advertising money.
As someone who canceled my Marquee sub as soon as baseball season ended, some quality HS football content might get me interested in just letting the subscription annually...

What I generally like is that when the graphic of the starters is shown

I like states
Year, height & weight

Like most on this board I watch all of the games and it gives you an idea of who is returning a lot of players and the difference in size each line is

I feel like I read something else on here regarding how the CW/U is moving away from IHSA Football in the coming seasons to focus on College/ACC football instead. Money, costs etc..
From a 10K foot view of a random guy on a board, this brings up an interesting chance where I'd love to see the IHSA look into a partnership deal with Marquee. I'm not exactly in the mood to google how much more time is left on their CW contract, but I don't think it'll be too long. I'm interested to know how much the CW or Marquee plays a role in broadcasting games, or say studio work. Do they go with an external broadcaster, who then puts it on their network? Or is it all done in house? If it would be moved to Marquee, would say for example, Edgy's favorite Chicago Studio he visited this last weekend change? I'm just not sure how much of a role the network plays in the production and would love some more info if Edgy could give it.
I haven't been able to watch any of the games on Marquee, but based on what I've heard on this board, it seems to be of higher production quality. I'd love to see some higher quality cameras, more angles and a few other improvements. I think that looking into a production agreement with Marquee would be a fantastic next step for the IHSA.

I feel like I read something else on here regarding how the CW/U is moving away from IHSA Football in the coming seasons to focus on College/ACC football instead. Money, costs etc..
From a 10K foot view of a random guy on a board, this brings up an interesting chance where I'd love to see the IHSA look into a partnership deal with Marquee. I'm not exactly in the mood to google how much more time is left on their CW contract, but I don't think it'll be too long. I'm interested to know how much the CW or Marquee plays a role in broadcasting games, or say studio work. Do they go with an external broadcaster, who then puts it on their network? Or is it all done in house? If it would be moved to Marquee, would say for example, Edgy's favorite Chicago Studio he visited this last weekend change? I'm just not sure how much of a role the network plays in the production and would love some more info if Edgy could give it.
I haven't been able to watch any of the games on Marquee, but based on what I've heard on this board, it seems to be of higher production quality. I'd love to see some higher quality cameras, more angles and a few other improvements. I think that looking into a production agreement with Marquee would be a fantastic next step for the IHSA.
I'll try to answer some of these as best I can....CW contract is up after this year Hoops. You read the CW college news here....and with that deal comes times when CW26 won't be able to run any programs and instead have to run the college games....I've heard CW26 wants the games back but again that's all I've heard.

Marquee biggest issue remains having available resources and since Cubs baseball is priority 1 for them they pretty much can't do any football until early October....

I'm guessing Marquee has newer equipment camera etc which all leads to a better looking production.....and the Prep Bowl game looked amazing.

Reactions: RockSoup and 4Afan
Marquee biggest issue remains having available resources and since Cubs baseball is priority 1 for them they pretty much can't do any football until early October....
Tell me u are a white Sox fan without telling me ur a white Sox fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT