ADVERTISEMENT

Numbers!

I don't think that's subjective at all. Look at all the rankings. BTN schools outshine SEC schools minues Vandy.
I would argue it depends on what you are wanting to study. But if you want to just stick to Rankings by US News and World Reports, University of Florida is the #5 Public School in the nation. Anything can be cherry picked.

Reactions: 4Afan
The problem in Illinois is that UICU, UIC and ISU are doing well... but NIU, EIU, SIU and EIU really struggling due to location, declining Illinois population and poor facilities..
WIU... WIU is struggling the worst. The others are fine and have leveled off the past 4-5 years on enrollments, if not had a boost also. Macomb, IL is a dying town firmly in the center of Forgotonia, Illinois. I'm not sure that one can be saved in the long run, unless it's moved elsewhere... But Idk where you go with it and I'm confident that's not a viable fiscal option.

Reactions: Silver Rain
All 4 of my kids are college graduates, but back when we were looking at schools UofI had the second highest in-state tuition in the nation. Only Penn St was higher for Pennsylvania residents.

There are so many great schools out there who give a significant financial break to their own residents. No shocker but Illinois isn’t one of them.

Reactions: USD24
I think Kentucky is an ugly school and it’s Kentucky
Sounds like you have never been to UK.
Much of the campus has been rebuilt over the last ten years. Dorms are new and like nice apartments.

Reactions: USD24
It really depends on the school. Many out of state schools give a lot of money for academics. I had a daughter go to Bama and a son who is currently at Kentucky. Both paid less than my kids who went to/are going to U of I.
My kids went to Indiana and Northwestern and both paid less than U of I would have been because of available scholarship money. We visited U of I with my son who went to Northwestern and U of I told us he wouldn’t be able to get any scholarship money but don’t worry they would help him get loans.
Private schools with significant endowment money have more flexibility with scholarship/grant money. Don’t focus too much on the initial sticker price.

I told my son he could apply to any school in the country except U of I, since there was no way I could afford it with the terrible financial aid for the middle class.

(this was 10 years ago perhaps it has improved)

Was there last weekend for my first UK football game. Great time. We are heading back for the Fla and Bama games.
Are you forced to buy tickets for other games at UK if you want to see 'Bama or another high profile team? When I was going to games at Ole Miss in Oxford you couldn't just go to the "Bama game without purchasing tix for other games with lesser teams.

Are you forced to buy tickets for other games at UK if you want to see 'Bama or another high profile team? When I was going to games at Ole Miss in Oxford you couldn't just go to the "Bama game without purchasing tix for other games with lesser teams.
The students get them tickets for all the games. I just buy them on a game by game basis. You are able to buy single game tickets, but the cost differs based on who they are playing. When my daughter was at Bama, the students did not get tickets for all the home games, they would get one of three packages, each which included 3-4 games.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Love Ole Miss. Great atmosphere. Much different than here.
Took a PJ down for the Bama game - catered food waiting at our tent in the Grove ... WOW, what an atmosphere!

Was waiting for a buddy near the stadium - that is where the cheerleaders and band lined up to enter. That was cool seeing the procession up close.

Sounds like you have never been to UK.
Much of the campus has been rebuilt over the last ten years. Dorms are new and like nice apartments.
I was on campus 10 yrs ago and it wasn’t nice. Western Kentucky was very nice

So I have a few dumb questions since my youngest, high school senior, is the one with good grades and the potential for academic scholarships. When could she hear about potential money? Is it right after she applies and gets accepted or is there some wooing process or do merit scholarships need to be applied for? I know academic is different than athletic in how they are pursued and I’m wondering how these kids make decisions after being accepted by multiple schools.

So I have a few dumb questions since my youngest, high school senior, is the one with good grades and the potential for academic scholarships. When could she hear about potential money? Is it right after she applies and gets accepted or is there some wooing process or do merit scholarships need to be applied for? I know academic is different than athletic in how they are pursued and I’m wondering how these kids make decisions after being accepted by multiple schools.
Every college will give you a sheet called an EFC. Estimated family contribution. This is after you are accepted and have completed the FAFSA. They will use the results of your FAFSA, your daughters academic grades, test scores and any other scholarships that she might qualify for within that institution. They will also calculate in any pell, grants and loans that she qualifies for. The EFC is basically the total amount you are on the hook for. Every college will issue this after acceptance and you guys showing interest in attending.

Last edited:
Every college will give you a sheet called an EFC. Estimated family contribution. This is after you are excepted and have completed the FAFSA. They will use the results of your FAFSA, your daughters academic grades, test scores and any other scholarships that she might qualify for within that institution. They will also calculate in any pell, grants and loans that she qualifies for. The EFC is basically the total amount you are on the hook for. Every college will issue this after acceptance and you guys showing interest in attending.
Good info, thanks!

Look it up
Where? All publications have different rankings and some of them, believe it or not, can pay the publication for a better ranking. Harvard is deemed to be one of the top schools in the world and they just hired Lori Lightfoot to teach a class on running a city. Is that something a top school would ever do?? School academic rankings, much like in sports, are very subjective.

Where? All publications have different rankings and some of them, believe it or not, can pay the publication for a better ranking. Harvard is deemed to be one of the top schools in the world and they just hired Lori Lightfoot to teach a class on running a city. Is that something a top school would ever do?? School academic rankings, much like in sports, are very subjective.
I had to look that Lightfoot thing up - Yikes

Harvard...hired Lori Lightfoot
And not too many years ago, the University of Chicago appointed retired Mayor Daley as a "Distinguished Senior Fellow" at the Harris School of Public Policy. Everyone here remembers that Daley was distinguished for twice failing the bar exam and for the unique way he mangled the language.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
And not too many years ago, the University of Chicago appointed retired Mayor Daley as a "Distinguished Senior Fellow" at the Harris School of Public Policy. Everyone here remembers that Daley was distinguished for twice failing the bar exam and for the unique way he mangled the language.
I’ll take Mayor Daley’s Chicago please

Every college will give you a sheet called an EFC. Estimated family contribution. This is after you are accepted and have completed the FAFSA. They will use the results of your FAFSA, your daughters academic grades, test scores and any other scholarships that she might qualify for within that institution. They will also calculate in any pell, grants and loans that she qualifies for. The EFC is basically the total amount you are on the hook for. Every college will issue this after acceptance and you guys showing interest in attending.
Also apply for any scholarship/grant money as early as possible. They often have a certain pool of money and when it’s gone that’s all.
If a school they are really interested in has an Early Admission program apply then. Admittance rates and often much higher during early admission.

Reactions: greatgig13
useless trivia on a Saturday night.
IHSA scoreboard does not have updates for I assume some Saturday grid action.
But with what they have posted on Saturday evening, by my totally unofficial count, 190 teams currently have winning records (listed as 4-0, 3-1 or 2-1).
Another 114 are listed as 2--2.
That's 304 schools currently at .500 or above before the IHSA gets caught up on Saturday results which could move some 2-1 teams to the 2-2 level and some 1-2 teams to the 2-2 level.
Anyway, 256 make the playoffs.

Let's not forget the parking meters. $2.75 an hour on 95th street in Beverly? As Rocky the Flying Squirrel would say, "Hoky Smokes!"

I had a class with Richie at DePaul. I was a freshman, and he was taking business classes prior to law school. He sat behind me in Accounting 101 -- very nice guy.

Let's not forget the parking meters. $2.75 an hour on 95th street in Beverly? As Rocky the Flying Squirrel would say, "Hoky Smokes!"

I had a class with Richie at DePaul. I was a freshman, and he was taking business classes prior to law school. He sat behind me in Accounting 101 -- very nice guy.
Yes, I thought he was a nice guy too--so nice that he was always willing to help out his friends, a lot of whom got rich on the parking meters fiasco.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
Edgy, Did you see that game winning pass by Rochester's Nik Baker for SIU?

It just popped up on my instagram..
He couldn't attract much college interest even after throwing for over 50 TD's his senior year and leading Rochester to 2 state titles because of his size. When his career ends, Nic will hold many of SIUC's passing records.,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT