ADVERTISEMENT

Numbers!

all4theillini

Jul 23, 2004
I know several on this board comment about numbers: enrollment, underclass/varsity, entry test scores so here’s some good news!

The University of Illinois;

8,325 freshmen, largest class in school history

74% in-state

24% first generation college-students. I’m most proud of this number being the son of an orphaned refugee who never had the chance for an education.

22% from under represented groups

6,300 new grad students

Perhaps due to rampant inflation, families are finding it’s more economical to send their kids in state rather than out of state. My kid wants to go out of state next fall and the costs are outrageous. I don’t think it’s based on any love or loyalty to Illinois schools.

Perhaps due to rampant inflation, families are finding it’s more economical to send their kids in state rather than out of state. My kid wants to go out of state next fall and the costs are outrageous. I don’t think it’s based on any love or loyalty to Illinois schools.
If I may ask what are the costs to send someone to an out of state school ? All of my kids are in their 30's , so we are quite removed from the tuition ordeal.

If I may ask what are the costs to send someone to an out of state school ? All of my kids are in their 30's , so we are quite removed from the tuition ordeal.
Iowa, where my daughter is looking, is about $45,500 for out-of-state students. Illinois state is about $27,000 for in-state students. I think the UW schools are the best bang for your buck. You can get in there all in for around $22,000 per year. My oldest went to Platteville.

It really depends on the school. Many out of state schools give a lot of money for academics. I had a daughter go to Bama and a son who is currently at Kentucky. Both paid less than my kids who went to/are going to U of I.

It really depends on the school. Many out of state schools give a lot of money for academics. I had a daughter go to Bama and a son who is currently at Kentucky. Both paid less than my kids who went to/are going to U of I.
That’s what we’re hoping for. My daughter is hell-bent on going out of state and wants nothing to do with two year community college to start with.

The problem in Illinois is that UICU, UIC and ISU are doing well... but NIU, EIU, SIU and EIU really struggling due to location, declining Illinois population and poor facilities..

Those aren’t comparable schools to UI.
I’m curious what out-of-State tuition is at peer schools like Texas, Florida, Michigan, UNC, UCLA and Virgina.Top Ten Public Universities

Reactions: Zebra and jimsavio
Those aren’t comparable schools to UI.
I’m curious what out-of-State tuition is at peer schools like Texas, Florida, Michigan, UNC, UCLA and Virgina.Top Ten Public Universities
I've had kids graduate from both U of I and Alabama and both received great educations. One differences is the Bama education was free. When they graduated, they both were able to get good jobs in fields they studied. My Bama grad was able to get a job in Austin and I think the fact she went to a southern school may have played a role. My Ilini grad works in the Chicago area, where a U of I degree carries more weight. If you are a good student and do well at the school you choose, you will be successful moving forward.

True story, the SEC in general gives alot. My daughter narrowed it down to UK, UT and Bama. She chose UK. She was accepted to UofI with no real plans of attending however you illinois’ offer was exactly 0.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bwm57 and USD24
True story, the SEC in general gives alot. My daughter narrowed it down to UK, UT and Bama. She chose UK. She was excepted to UofI with no real plans of attending however you illinois’ offer was exactly 0.
That is a fairly common story I believe. In my experience, both UK and Bama are filled with Chicago area kids who got into U of I, but chose to go south for any number of reasons.

Reactions: missingwalter
Yeah her two roommates that she did not know beforehand are from the Chicago area and the girls across the hall went to mother McAuley

Iowa State gives a lot of aid to out of state students (I believe Iowa and UNI do too, but no experience with them). For having a 3.0 in high school, my one daughter received $8k grant. Other one had over 4.0, and think she's getting $11k or 12k off. Basically makes them the same as in-state tuition.

Not a cost issue, but Iowa schools have the easiest admissions system I've seen too. Basically, you upload high school courses/grades, and the system lets you know if accepted in about 2 minutes. No essays, etc.

Yeah, we have seen several kids go to both IA State snd Iowa. There are four kids on my block at iowa.

True story, the SEC in general gives alot. My daughter narrowed it down to UK, UT and Bama. She chose UK. She was accepted to UofI with no real plans of attending however you illinois’ offer was exactly 0.
Good insights about the SEC. I wasn’t aware. A number of kids from our school are going to Kentucky and I never understood the draw.

Iowa, where my daughter is looking, is about $45,500 for out-of-state students. Illinois state is about $27,000 for in-state students. I think the UW schools are the best bang for your buck. You can get in there all in for around $22,000 per year. My oldest went to Platteville.
Not Madison, unfortunately!

Lexington and the Lexington area is fantastic. SEC athletics isn’t bad either
We’ve stayed there a few times on the way to Gatlinburg and I like the town a lot. I’m sure it’s a great school. Just didn’t know why so many kids went there rather than in state.

Because my son plays college football I won’t be able to see a game this year and for some crazy reason parents weekend next week has no home game
Iowa State parents weekend has no game either. Think it has something to do with overwhelming the area hotels to do both at same time, but not sure.

Not as good of schools either

SIU just reported it's biggest enrollment bump in like 18 years....
Only 252 kids, but the way the last two decades have been there, baby steps... but that is great to see.. from a football standpoint, these state schools other than Illinois all rely on student fees .. already seen WIU drop down a notch and NIU is really struggling to fund their current sports as well..

Reactions: mullin17
SEC has definitely increased their presence in IL. About 10 years ago they started giving full scholarships for 32 ACT and above. It's decreased a little bit but good amounts of kids are still going.
I hate how expensive U of I is for in state kids. The flagship state university should have rigorous admissions but without a doubt should be affordable.

Not as good of schools either
No one is arguing that. As I said in previous posts, I’ve had kids at U of I as well as Kentucky and Bama and we have been happy with all the experiences and outcomes. And both the Bama and UK campuses are much prettier than Illinois in my opinion.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT