ADVERTISEMENT

North Suburban Conference 2024

You summed it up well. I thought maybe the Mustangs would surprise Stevenson, it appears it was close anyway. Best chance for them is Libertyville or LF, as you said both gave up too many points this week. Maybe it was late points vs. 2nd and 3rd string?
Steveson had 4 touchdowns called backed from what i heard.

Week 4 Predictions
Warren over Mundelein....Warren is finding its way again. Young team!

Lake Forest over Stevenson...really hope the Scouts were looking ahead last week. Stevenson is a year or two away.

Zion over Waukegan...based on recent scores I do feel this game could go either way. I will go with the home team!

Lake Zurich over Libertyville ... I was high in the preseason on the Wildcats but they have not showed much this season. The Bears dont look to have a very good offense but their defense is as stout as ever. Bears in a close one.

Stevenson has a good chance to win the conference in '24 & '25.
We will see keep in mind Warren's top players RB (Stewart is a Soph this year) and entire secondary are Sophs & Jr's. Mac will always 5-7 Sophs on varsity, so you never see a drop in talent or play year-to-year. Their O & D Lines at the lower levels are really good. Mac will have his players in the weight room year-round & key athletes doing off season 7on7, speed/agility & technique training. They have athletes all over the place on the depth chart. I do not see Warren dropping off in the near future. This was the year to get them in NSC.

Stevenson is getting back on track. Lost their way w/ the program for a minute. Coach Becker, is doing all the right things and most importantly- is rebuilding the football culture in the community. Starts at the youth level, and they now have a new, Stevenson specific youth program led by a fantastic football leader who drove a ridiculous run in the TCYFL in the early to mid 2000's. I don't think he lost for like 10+ years. My son graduated Stevie in 2017. In the years I/he was involved w/ the program(s) 2005-2017- Stevie, won an 8A state championship, and dominated the conference for the most part. They will get back to being a Team that no one wants on their schedule.

Reactions: Gene K.
Stevenson is getting back on track. Lost their way w/ the program for a minute. Coach Becker, is doing all the right things and most importantly- is rebuilding the football culture in the community. Starts at the youth level, and they now have a new, Stevenson specific youth program led by a fantastic football leader who drove a ridiculous run in the TCYFL in the early to mid 2000's. I don't think he lost for like 10+ years. My son graduated Stevie in 2017. In the years I/he was involved w/ the program(s) 2005-2017- Stevie, won an 8A state championship, and dominated the conference for the most part. They will get back to being a Team that no one wants on their schedule.
Welcome Joey

LOL. Not Joey. My son played for Joey in the Bills, and am ecstatic that he's back leading the youth program.
Joey is a good friend of mine. I wish someday to coach with him. I am a big Becker fan as well. He will get this ship righted.

Reactions: myloson24
Week 6 Review....

Warren 54 - Mundelein 7 ... I am a little surprised the Devils were able to score 54 points. Didnt think their offense was that strong. Mundelein is down to 3 changes to find that last elusive 5th victory.

Stevenson 24 - Lake Forest 13 ... The young Patriots get better each week. The Scouts have a tough road ahead to 5 wins....might be Scouts v Mustangs for a playoff birth week 9.

Lake Zurich 29 - Libertyville 28 ... Lake Zurich keeps finding ways to play close games. They rely on that defense too much and have very little offense. The Cats will be a force in the NSC in '24. Cats should be able to find 2 wins in the next 3 weeks.

Zion 31 - Waukegan 0 ... you would think being the 2nd largest high school in the state the Bulldogs could find some football players.

Week 6 Rankings.
1. Warren
2. Lake Zurich
3. Libertyville
4. Stevenson
5. Lake Forest
6. Mundelein
7. Zion
8. Waukegan

We will see keep in mind Warren's top players RB (Stewart is a Soph this year) and entire secondary are Sophs & Jr's. Mac will always 5-7 Sophs on varsity, so you never see a drop in talent or play year-to-year. Their O & D Lines at the lower levels are really good. Mac will have his players in the weight room year-round & key athletes doing off season 7on7, speed/agility & technique training. They have athletes all over the place on the depth chart. I do not see Warren dropping off in the near future. This was the year to get them in NSC.
Micah....not sure if you have seen Libertyville and Stevenson play but I would say that Warren has the 3rd best Sophomore class playing up on Varsity this season. Stewart is a good back but the kids from Stevenson and Libertyville are better. The LaVista kid from Libertyvile might be the most exciting offensive player in the conference.

This conference has some really good coaches, heck McNulty was Becker's assistant at Lake Forest College. If you dont think each program is working just as hard as Warren in the off-season....well you might be stuck at the top of the Eagle.

I also have a feeling that Stewart might not finish off his high school career on the football field.

The Jr Patriots have been around for 3 years. The fantastic football leader you are speaking of has an ego bigger than the Stevenson campus. He destroyed a BG Bills program that was around for over 40 years because they didnt want him involved anymore. If that is the type of guy Coach Becker wants associated with his program I dont think Stevenson will ever make it back to the top of the mountain.

The Jr Patriots have been around for 3 years. The fantastic football leader you are speaking of has an ego bigger than the Stevenson campus. He destroyed a BG Bills program that was around for over 40 years because they didnt want him involved anymore. If that is the type of guy Coach Becker wants associated with his program I dont think Stevenson will ever make it back to the top of the mountain.
Yes, Jr. Pats 3 years old. Relatively new'ish. Lots more on the Bills story. Always 2 sides of every story. Know both sides well.
Will agree to disagree on leadership. Good, bad, or indifferent- some, if not all of the most successful people I know on all levels- business, sports, etc... are also the most polarizing.
Success breeds success.
I don't think your post will age well... Time will tell.

I think you need to look at a different person that ruined BG. But that’s just my 360 degree view

Joey is a good friend of mine. I wish someday to coach with him. I am a big Becker fan as well. He will get this ship righted.
Serious question on the Stevenson program, as it's something we're seeing in Palatine with Fremd. Are there demographic or sociographic changes that are simply causing the change.

Fremd has had three 1-8 seasons in the last 5 years and is 1-4 so far this season. The undercurrent is that they just don't get the horses they used to due to changes in their area. How to say this.. alot of dynamic, type A parents raising type A kids are getting old and moving, and the places are being bought by the "geeker" types or families that don't emphasis sport's. Fremd does have a good sophomore class, due to the PAFA feeder program, but it seems to turning into "a good class" here and there than a solid ongoing program. I've worked in Lincolnshire for 20+ years and sensed similar changes and wondered if it was a structural change.

Micah,

Interesting that Stewart keeps playing football. He is one of the top wrestlers in the country. Will likely get a full ride somewhere. You think he will continue to play? I'm very surprised to still see him on the football field.

Serious question on the Stevenson program, as it's something we're seeing in Palatine with Fremd. Are there demographic or sociographic changes that are simply causing the change.

Fremd has had three 1-8 seasons in the last 5 years and is 1-4 so far this season. The undercurrent is that they just don't get the horses they used to due to changes in their area. How to say this.. alot of dynamic, type A parents raising type A kids are getting old and moving, and the places are being bought by the "geeker" types or families that don't emphasis sport's. Fremd does have a good sophomore class, due to the PAFA feeder program, but it seems to turning into "a good class" here and there than a solid ongoing program. I've worked in Lincolnshire for 20+ years and sensed similar changes and wondered if it was a structural change.
It’s a great point. Demographics have changed but it’s benefitted other sports. The roster issues are still healthy

In 2022, the demographics were: White: 49%, Asian: 37.6%, Hispanic: 8.2%, Black: 2%, Two or More Races: 2.8%, and American Indian: 0.2%.
Would suspect Fremd's demo is very similar, and the perennial PUBLIC- not Private, powerhouses demo's don't resemble this.

Is indeed a great question, observation and undoubtedly plays a role. Lived in the district for 20 years before recently moving, splitting time in and out of State, and have seen a pretty substantial shift- exactly as you are referencing.
Academics, and the ancillary scholastic related clubs and Teams are through the roof; and Stevie is still super competitive in most other sports.

2022 or 2023 Sports/Clubs State Championships: (maybe more?)

- Girls Water Polo
- Boys Club Ice Hockey
- Science Olympiad
- Chess Team - multiple
- Math Team
- Badminton - multiple
- Fencing
- Girls Basketball (2022)
- Debate - (2022)
- Esports
- Girls Tennis individual champ - multiple
-
Boys & Girls swimming individual event champs
- Journalism

As Newt said, has certainly benefitted other areas/sports; but the demographic shift has not been a net football specific positive.
All the more reason why quality coaching and rebuilding, strengthening the football culture at the youth level is so vitally important...

Palatine's success has also hurt Fremd's. Just like Fremd's used to hurt Palatine's

To be fair, I have not seen Libertyville or Stevenson players (RB) you are mentioning. What size & speed do they have? If the kids are that good we will see. Also keep in mind it takes a dominant O-line to have an effective Run Game/offense otherwise the skill players do not last the season. Warren produces 1100-1300+ yard running backs evey year - look at the stats going back 6-7 years. Stewart is a wrestling first kid with a passion for football.... he will do all four years of football unless he gets injured. The kid this year from LZ was supposed to be good he got less than 40 yards against warren defense. Do not be surprised in two years Warren may 5-7 next level defensive players playing at the next level so if the players you are talking about .... will have a tough Warren defense to contend with. I wish all players the best and wish they reach their goals. The only point I was making .... Warren has kids (sophs) doing it right now - proving it is NOT potential. Playing 8A (big boy ball) is different than Youth League, Freshman or JV. I have been on the off season circuit for a while. You see the top kids dominating at camps, 7on7, showcases & training facilities against top athletes throughout the local, regional and national competition levels. Elite kids stick out and you know who they are. Stay tuned ! 🎢💪🏾
Micah,

Interesting that Stewart keeps playing football. He is one of the top wrestlers in the country. Will likely get a full ride somewhere. You think he will continue to play? I'm very surprised to still see him on the football field.
Stewart dad coaches’ football. Mac allows kids to focus on their main sport ... in the case of Stewart it is wrestling. He likes his teammmates and is a team player. Also, Donnie McNeal takes RB reps as well. Mac runs a two headed RB plan every year. The Stewart kid is talented in multiple sports, moreover, wrestling crosses over with football on a skill set level. Plus, Warren is a winning top 8A program, thus top college football programs/coaches make their way to Warren every year. Mac will have a solid line in front of his RB's. Also, there are other talented RB's on the roster at the lower level as well. The reality is Warren has a great crop of lower-level skill players that is not stopping no time soon. So, if it’s not Stewart it will be another talented RB. Also, the demographics is an advantage for Warren. Look at his teams they are mixed from socioeconomic background perspective. Plus having the top Northern program in Lake County. Kids will find their way to Warren – no recruiting needed. Mac sends kids to D1, D2, D3, NAIA, JUCO, etc. programs every year. I know because my son went to Notre Dame and could have went to other top Academic/Football schools. So, I am speaking from experience being part of the warren program (youth – high school). Warren academic programs (AP, Honors, College Prep) are solid. Mac does not let kids play if their grades are not up to par also holds his players accountable from a character perspective. The dedicated kids go to high level academic programs in the P5/ G5, Top D2, plus the Ivy, Patriot league, etc. Just my thoughts !

Reactions: Gene K.
Week 7 Predictions

Warren JV over Waukegan

Libertyville over Mundelein....will the Mustangs catch the Cats this week? Cats know this is an important game for their playoff future.

Stevenson over Zion...Patriots secure a playoff birth with a win.

Lake Zurich over Lake Forest.....I can see this one sneaking away from the Bears. The Scouts are tough but can they prove it v. the upper-echelon of the NSC?

Well the Mustangs did manage to beat Libertyville 2 years ago as 28 point underdogs (Massey) so anything can happen. let's hope for the best!
And for Mundelein backers, anything didn't happen in Week 7.
The Mustangs have a non-winnable Week 8 game vs. Lake Zurich, and then they are doomed Week 9 because both the Mustangs and host Lake Forest in that game will be 4-4 and needing a win to make the playoffs..
The order in which games are played makes such a difference in terms of. perception.
I remember "something's wrong with Warren" comments after starting 0-2 vs. two of the top 8A teams in the state. Really, there was never a doubt that they were going to finish 6-1 or 7-0 in the conference.
I remember all the love given to Grayslake Central for playing Bolingbrook to a 0-0 tie for one quarter of the season's first game even though they lost by 30-plus. Next week, they will get schooled by Antioch and will finish the season 4-5.
And of course, there's Nazareth Academy, which started 0-4 vs. teams that through six weeks were a combined 22-2. They now are looking like a 5-4 team or, at worst, a 4-5 team with the most playoff "points" putting them first in line if a 4-5 team is needed fill out the playoff field.

Mundelein you still have a chance because the Scouts are not well. Turned it over all night long in 43-0 loss at Lake Zurich... the promising team from earlier in the season that beat Libertyville and led Carmel in the fourth quarter is long gone. We'll see which team can recover in Week 9.

Week 7 Results

Warren 46 Waukegan 0 .. No surprise. Hope the Devils gave some guys a rest.

Lake Zurich 43 Lake Forest 0 ... I am not surprised LZ won but I am shocked by the poor performance by the Scouts.

Libertyville 41 Mundelein 0 ... Libertyville bounces back after a tough loss. Mundelein has given up 40 plus in two straight weeks with the Bears coming up this week.

Stevenson 50 Zion 0 ... No surprise here. Future does not look bright for Zion. They have no Soph/JV team.
Week 7 Rankings.
1. Warren (5-2)
Remaining games: Lake Forest, Zion
2. Lake Zurich (6-1)
Remaining games: Mundelein, Waukegan
3. Libertyville (4-3)
Remaining games: Zion, Stevenson
4. Stevenson (5-2)
Remaining games: Waukegan, Libertyville
5. Lake Forest (4-3)
Remaining games: Warrren, Mundelein
6. Mundelein (4-3)
Remaining games: Lake Zurich, Lake Forest
7. Zion (1-6)
8. Waukegan (1-6)

Warren will need to stay focused with LF & Zion upcoming games ... need to make sure those are not trap games. I am sure McNulty will have them ready. With the tough upfront schedule, Warren has been able to rest some of their key players and get other players ready for playoffs and next year. That is how you build consisitent programs ... getting the young talent reps on varsity early. The weather is about to turn .... so Warrens ground game (mix in a little passing), pretty solid defense (gaining confidence) and special teams will make Warren a tough out in the playoffs. Home of six flags .... is open down the stretch !

Week 8 Predictions
Warren over Lake Forest .... The Scouts are hoping nothing more than to come out healthy for their week 9 battle v the Mustangs.

Lake Zurich over Mundelein .... this could be an interesting and close game especially with the weather conditions but the Bears physical defense and running style are too much for the Mustangs.

Stevenson over Waukegan.....happened a night early.

Libertyville over Zion .... rough season for the Zee-Bees.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT