ADVERTISEMENT

New: Surprising Teams that are 0-2

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
I was just going through the schedules and results and came upon a ton of teams who are 0-2 so far this season. Here is a look at several teams with an 0-2 record, which teams I feel can pull out of it's early tailspin and which 0-2 teams could be in trouble.

Niles Notre Dame- The Dons have never been an offensive juggernaut and they have scored just 21 points in two weeks now. The defense is generally a strength but the 42 points allowed to Fenwick was a bit of an eye opener at least in my mind. I can see ND getting things back in order but ironically a few upcoming key games will be against other 0-2 teams in Naz and also St Viator which are obvious must wins. Best case scenario for ND? I say best case scenario would be 4-4 heading into St Rita in Week 9.

Nazareth Academy- When I saw the Road Runners in the spring it was pretty obvious this wasn't the Naz we've all come to know....and so far they have lost two close games to Richards and Lemont...two South Suburban public schools that no question raises some eyebrows. The schedule won't get any easier with games remaining with Marist, Montini, Benet and St. Rita. Best case scenario? I can see the Road Runners finding it's way to 4-4 with a Week 9 game hosing Benet as a big must win for Nazareth Academy.

St. Viator- The good news is that the only really strong team left on the regular season schedule is Mount Carmel....yet the loss to Morgan Park was an eye opener last week. The next two weeks against DePaul Prep (a better than you think DePaul Prep team here) and Carmel (see Week 2 eye opening win over Lake Forest) are absolutely must wins for the Lions.

Phillips- New HC Joe Winslow is off to a 0-2 start but the schedule early has been brutal (Batavia/Mount Carmel) and look for the Wildcats to load up on CPL wins . Both Taft and Simeon will be good CPL tests but in the end I still see the Wildcats at say 6-3 and into the IHSA state playoffs field in 4A.

Simeon- See above. The Wolverines opened up against two power programs in JCA and Bolingbrook to start the season. Look for Simeon to right the ship as soon as this week, but a warning. Games still left with Phillips. Morgan park and Kenwood will not come as easy as they have in the recent past.

Curie- The Condors have four challenging games to start the season (Marist/DeLaSalle/Simeon and Morgan Park) and even if the Condors start 0-4, they have winnable games left and a Week 7 game against Kenwood could become a must win.

Waubonsie Valley The Warriors played a ton of underclassmen in the spring and confidence seemed pretty solid this summer. Yet early losses to Oswego East and St. Charles East are not good and the remaining schedule in the DVC is stacked. I don't get an overwhelming feel that the Warriors can completely dig out of this hole. Hope I wrong here.

Crystal Lake South- The Gators can put up points and yards in the air with QB Justin Kowalak, but sadly they've allowed almost double the amount of points scored after two games....and the South defense was also an issue this past spring as well. With the likes of Cary Grove, Prairie Ridge, Huntley and others still ahead it's going to be tough sledding for Crystal Lake South from here on out.

Pontiac- The Indians two losses have been to quality opponents in Bloomington Central Catholic and Prairie Central, and the remaining schedule is tough and includes Paxton Buckley Loda, Monticello and Tolono Unity all within the first 6 weeks of the regular season. If the Indians can pull a win from those three schools they could wind up say 5-4...but again it's much easier said then done.

Johnsburg- The Johnnies (Ok I know already it's the Skyhawks...I like Johnnies better) are 0-2 with losses to Wilmington and Lisle while several good teams await in Marengo, Richmond Burton and others.

Bishop McNamara One of the biggest surprises for me since the Fighting Irish have a stout backfield as Hall of Fame HC Rich Zinanni is in his final season as the BMac head coach. Losses to Marmion and Coal City come against two quality opponents, yet the Irish still have the likes of ICCP, St Francis, Wheaton Academy and Riverside Brookfield and nothing will be a given this fall.

Canton- The Little Giants had big expectations this fall but the remaining Mid Illini schedule will be a challenge and getting to a 5-4 record will be a big task.

Rolling Meadows- Pretty surprising in my eyes. The Mustangs will need to pull off a few key wins beginning this week against Deerfield (2-0) then hope to battle in what looks to be a pretty strong remaining Mid Suburban East conference against the likes of Hersey, Prospect and Buffalo Grove. A win this week over Deerfield would allow the Mustangs a little bit of an in-conference wiggle room, but they would still need a win against one of the Top 3 to get at 5-4. It's not impossible, but it also won't be easy.

Palatine- Another big disappointment here so far in my opinion. The Pirates have talent but still have games against Evanston and Maine South left before even stepping foot inside the MSL West schedule. Wins over a few of the West team is possible, but if this team starts off 0-4 it's not looking too promising in getting to 5 wins.

Fremd- Ironically the Vikings are in the same scheduling boat as rival Palatine, needing wins over both Evanston and Maine South over the next two weeks. The conference schedule won't do the Vikings any favors and can the offense begin to generate more needed points this season?

Stevenson- The Patriots are also off to a 0-2 stat with losses to quality opponents in New Trier and Maine South. The good news looks to be the fact that the conference seems to be pretty balanced if your name isn't Warren Township, so hopefully Stevenson can begin the turnaround this week against Lake Forest who is coming off a surprising 26-14 loss to Carmel.

Antioch- Everyone knew that the Kaliakmanis hangover would be in effect for the Sequoits program, and the losses come at the hands of two strong programs in Waukesha (Wisc) Catholic Memorial and Morris. Look for Antioch to start winning games this week and I fully expect the Sequoits to be in the thick of things in the Northern Lake Country conference title race.

Dakota- The Indians have run into two buzzsaws in Ottawa Marquette and Lena Winslow and while I see them winning games soon, the remaining NUIC schedule is no push over whatsoever.

Hillcrest- Superman has definitely left the building for Minnesota (Markiese Irving) and last week's 15-12 loss to Chicago Kenwood stings. However, I can still see first year head coach Kyran Weaver getting the Hawks to 5 wins and a state playoff bid this fall.

Shepard -The Astros no question scheduled "up" this fall but last week's loss to Plainfield East will hurt....;.then throw in remaining games over the next three weeks against Lemont, Richards and Eisenhower and the Astros in many ways are in a "must win" mode right now. It's not impossible for this team and program, and they need a win over the next three weeks no question about it.

Thornton- No idea what happened with the Wildcats. They lost a very good head coach and Thornton legend in Dontrell Jackson who replaced another Thornton legend in Bill Mosel. In steps Fred Gandy, a former TT alum but the sledding has been rough since the spring season began for TT. Two lopsided losses to Hope Academy and Andrew does not give anyone in purple any promise the remainder of the season.

Joliet West- The Tigers also played two solid teams in Lockport and Minooka, and much like in 2019 I can see Joliet West ending up winning the SWSEast and becoming a 5-4/6-3 playoff team. It won't be easy and it can get ugly at times, but this team still has enough on board to win enough games to get into the post-season.

Oswego- The Panthers scheduled hard for it's non conference games in Neuqua Valley and Batavia and I truly believe they will be a better team for it down the line. Look for Oswego to start winning games this week and could the Week 8 rivalry game hosting Oswego East really be a big deal with a conference title on the line?

Lincoln Way West The Warriors have been a pretty consistent winner since opening the program back in 2008 including posting a 5-1 spring season record. Yet the Warriors offense has struggled scoring points and are still in search for that "go to guy". Having Bolingbrook, Lockport and H-F still lurking on the schedule is also not a positive.

Willowbrook_ Over the last several seasons the Warriors have just outplayed and made every high school prep evaluator look silly with the programs success. Willowbrook I feel still has a good chance of turning thing around from here on out after playing and losing to two good programs in Providence and DGN. The West Suburban Gold has been bad after two weeks (1-13 record overall) and Willowbrook will begin to pad the record starting this week hosting Proviso East.

Alleman- The Pioneers are always battling overall numbers both in the schools and in the football program. Alleman hasn't scored a point yet this season while the defense has been shredded by two quality opponents in Davenport Assumption and Quincy ND. can they stay healthy and find a few wins in the Western Big 6 this fall?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News