ADVERTISEMENT

Naperville Central 3 O'fallon 2

SUNDOWN

Jun 29, 2001
Per the Sun-Times website, NC gets its second straight one run victory. That is a tough semi-final....NC vs. Stevenson coming up Friday.
This post was edited on 6/7 9:36 PM by SUNDOWN

I think that whole plan of action today at Wesleyan helped O'Fallon beat Minooka...but what impact did it have against Central...still 3-2 is a close shave for the Redhawks...man that will be some game Friday vs Stevenson...Pats rockin' and rollin' !

MIKEFTB
This post was edited on 6/7 10:01 PM by MIKEFTB

how crazy would it be

Naperville C w Conlon pitching vs Rita in title lol
This post was edited on 6/8 4:01 PM by DeanOfSelection

Re: how crazy would it be

Yeah, kind of dreading that - and not out of fear of playing a good team.
This post was edited on 6/8 4:11 PM by giaour

Well, DOS, you're definitely onto something here. If both teams were fortunate enough to make it, Conlon would be the starter.

I waas looking at this whole thing and Dean is right on...the problem is that the Redhawks have to get by Stevenson..a team that beat them 10-4 earlier in the season. I think Conlon is red hot, but do you start him in that game...or go with another arm, with the hope of winning that game and sending Conlon up against his old Mates? Or can he horse the ball in 2 straight games?hould be interesting..

Central got a break last night...that Pitcher, Miles Quintal for O'Fallon was lights out and had to leave the game because he started the Minooka game, threw 90 pitches and then started the Central game, threw 50+ pitches and the IHSA has the pitch count rule...Out he went with a 2-1 lead...in comes the relief pitcher and out goes the O'Fallon lead...Central wins 3-2...Conlon tossed his 5th complete game in six starts. Gave up 2 runs on 4 hits and struck out 10....Did the same thing to O'Fallon who last year while with St.Rita...O'Fallon had knocked off Central! What a story! He now has 112K's in 75 innings...That is pretty darn good...

MIKEFTB

Re: Pitch Count Rule

Can someone tell me what the EXACT rule is regarding "pitch count"?

Central didn't get to where they are with only one pitcher. After you throw out the first two weeks of the season, here is a comparison of Central's two lefties.

Dan Ludwig 7-0, 7 ER in 56 innings for a 0.88 ERA
Shane Conlon 9-0, 8 ER in 61 innings for a 0.92 ERA

In the playoffs

Dan Ludwig 2-0 2 CG, 3 ER in 16 innings for a 1.31 ERA
Shane Conlon 3-0 2 CG, 4 ER in 19 innings for a 1.47 ERA

Shane is the better pitcher if both are rested, he strikes out a lot more hitters than Ludwig, but consider the following.

Dan Ludwig would have 5 days rest after a 102 pitch effort if he pitches on Friday
Shane Conlon would have 3 days rest after a 118 pitch effort if he pitches on Friday

Not so obvious who Central should pitch is it? We'll see what Seiple decides, he has the only vote that counts.

Good stats...now...how many strikeouts does Ludwig have in the innings pitched....and how are the two when the bats are in their hands?

It is a nice dilema to have if your Coach Seiple though....

MIKEFTB

The following stats are off Maxpreps.com, here are some season stats for these two pitchers:

IP K's BB H HB
Ludwig 69.1 87 7 54 5
Conlon 75 112 11 46 7

So in a typical 7 inning game, Conlon will strike out 2 more batters. Note that when you look at hits, walks, and hit batters per 7 innings, Conlon is slightly better.

Ludwig does not hit. They have a better defensive line up with Ludwig on the mound, a better offensive line up with Conlon on the mound.

Again, with both pitchers rested you go with Conlon. But do you use him on short rest? We'll find out Friday what Bill Seiple thinks.

Boy oh boy....I think you go with Conlon Friday vs Stevie...and if you can get a nice lead...turn it over to Ludwig to close....then you can bring Conlon back in the big game Sat...the weather is suppoosed to be scorching starting Friday...it is gonna be flame on!

Should be a good one....

MIKEFTB

It will be Ludwig on the mound to start on Friday.

BTW, I doubt if either team gets a big lead in that game. Probably only 4-5 runs total between the two teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT