ADVERTISEMENT

More info on public/private committee

Smells like whiny suburban-ites in here, doesn't it? As if the outrageous amount they pay in taxes to have the best schools isn't enough... they also want to win football games. 😭
Why is Mt Carmel contacting kids in Wheaton and Glen Ellyn about playing football? Why do they want those whiny Suburbnites on their team? I understand private schools need students but when you are reaching out that far and targeting only kids that play football people tend to get irritated.

Why is Mt Carmel contacting kids in Wheaton and Glen Ellyn about playing football? Why do they want those whiny Suburbnites on their team? I understand private schools need students but when you are reaching out that far and targeting only kids that play football people tend to get irritated.
Academic wise, while mc is fine, I don't think they offer that much of an upgrade to entice kids to travel.
But when it comes to football they have that upgrade to get kids so that's what they use.

And mc is calling kids already enrolled in hs or calling 8th graders?

Academic wise, while mc is fine, I don't think they offer that much of an upgrade to entice kids to travel.
But when it comes to football they have that upgrade to get kids so that's what they use.

And mc is calling kids already enrolled in hs or calling 8th graders?
Non high school kids. Private schools need kids we all get that but when you are casting a net far but only looking for football players that’s a problem.

Allow me to interject....

The fact that privates can even "go fishing" gives them an advantage over the publics don't have a valid fishing license unless it's within their zip code.
So true ... but let us look at basketball and the publics ... CPS somehow gets the best players to one hoops squad each year. What about the short-lived CPS football trend?

It happens on both sides.

So true ... but let us look at basketball and the publics ... CPS somehow gets the best players to one hoops squad each year. What about the short-lived CPS football trend?

True but you can't compare CPS basketball to the average public school athletic programs.

If they did digging how many Phillips State Title kids were supposed to go there? Like Jackie Robinson West.Somebody once showed me a map of the United States & asked me if i liked the map.I said map? I thought that was JRW Little League boundaries plus 15 year olds playing in 12 year old tournaments

CPS schools operate almost like open boundaries in basketball. Some of them are more open. Does that help or hurt the argument 🤔

The Illini 8 dissolved because Joliet Catholic & to a lesser extent Marian Catholic were drumming all the other schools in football.I talked to some guys years ago from Joliet Catholic.They laughed & said they cry like babies when we beat them in football but when they kick our asses in all these other sports they are fine with that

Reactions: kwamizee
Another good story.First round playoff game before the split.10-0 public school 10-0 playing cookie cutters hosting 5-5 private school played brutal schedule.Public school annoying fan base where some of their fans sat on the opposing team side to stir trouble.Bad breaks caused the Public team to be up 28-0 after 1 quarter.Comments like where is your god now? better start praying? break out your cross & bibles.So i'm guessing if you don't go to private school you don't believe in God.2nd quarter back & forth & the private team scored before the half & were down 28-7.The barbs continued.Maybe Jesus & Noah need to put the pads on.3rd quarter the private team score 5 touchdowns to go up 42-28.Scored twice more in the first 2 minutes to go up 56-28.I wished i had tape to show you.All of a sudden as the public school fans were leaving it was you all recruit,cheaters,don't belong playing us.Big change since their mouths at the start.A few even tried to start fights & when the private school fans rightfully took up for themselves the public fans went & got the police.Oh is that the way christian's act towards the private school people.The damn police even came over threatening to arrest the fans of the private school.They were packed out & said we didn't start it we will end it & if you think you're going to arrest us all of us you better call a hell of a lot backup & you better start praying because we are tired of this & we will call our backup.It was touchy

Another good story.First round playoff game before the split.10-0 public school 10-0 playing cookie cutters hosting 5-5 private school played brutal schedule.Public school annoying fan base where some of their fans sat on the opposing team side to stir trouble.Bad breaks caused the Public team to be up 28-0 after 1 quarter.Comments like where is your god now? better start praying? break out your cross & bibles.So i'm guessing if you don't go to private school you don't believe in God.2nd quarter back & forth & the private team scored before the half & were down 28-7.The barbs continued.Maybe Jesus & Noah need to put the pads on.3rd quarter the private team score 5 touchdowns to go up 42-28.Scored twice more in the first 2 minutes to go up 56-28.I wished i had tape to show you.All of a sudden as the public school fans were leaving it was you all recruit,cheaters,don't belong playing us.Big change since their mouths at the start.A few even tried to start fights & when the private school fans rightfully took up for themselves the public fans went & got the police.Oh is that the way christian's act towards the private school people.The damn police even came over threatening to arrest the fans of the private school.They were packed out & said we didn't start it we will end it & if you think you're going to arrest us all of us you better call a hell of a lot backup & you better start praying because we are tired of this & we will call our backup.It was touchy
Happens all over, there's games between catholicl schools that the fans need to go to confession the next day.

But who were those schools? Thats the most important detail of the story. Unfortunately some schools can't handle success.

2021 Instead of thanking God, Lausch was hurt and they caught a huge break, Wheaton North was all about that kind of yapping the last 2 playoff games.

No, what's irritating is that you ASSUME they're only targeting football players. No one cares that their academics usually outshine the public districts they're adjacent to or within.

Those schools can't compete with Alcoa or Maryville recruiting or otherwise.And also for the people on the board not familiar with Tennessee Football the top 4 teams in each region make the playoffs.So without private schools some regions have 4 or 5 teams.So you can go 2-8,3-7 even 1-9 or 0-10 & get in!!!!!
Alcoa and Maryville would not beat the top private schools, what a dumb comment

No, what's irritating is that you ASSUME they're only targeting football players. No one cares that their academics usually outshine the public districts they're adjacent to or within.
Well considering they are contacting youth football programs is it safe to assume their targeting football players?

Well considering they are contacting youth football programs is it safe to assume their targeting football players?
Public and private schools operate youth football programs. I'm sure there's some competitive independently run programs as well. Seems logical to contact them. Am I to believe the public schools coaches aren't doing the same?

This type of attitude comes with this annoying little thing about public school folks... you all think you're entitled to, or "own the rights to," every student within your districts. Separating public from private isn't going to stop kids from leaving your youth or HS programs to go to a powerhouse private school. If anything, it's going to open the door even wider and allow these private schools to ACTUALLY recruit your students and athletes.

I went to a small private school in Central IL. Less than 500 kids. Of that 400+ student body less than 10 were from outside the public district in city both schools were in. When I was a sophomore we had a rather large and very athletic class of freshman coming in. Among them was one student, a female, who came from a rural district just outside of town. She went on to start all four years, was all state two of those years and took home a trophy her junior year. She went on to play division two in college. In her class was another kid from the same little rural public district this girl had come from. He was a farm boy and was very intelligent, eventually graduated 1st in his class and is now an ER doctor in the central IL area. He was also an average athlete in his own right, played baseball and ran cross country. He was also a member of the "quiz bowl" (academic) team. The girl in this story spent her four years answering questions from every direction and catching side-eye from the public support in the area for abandoning her small town and coming to play for one of the best girls basketball programs in the state. I know the young man in this story pretty well and was in a number of programs/clubs in school with him. Not once did anyone question him for his attendance at our high school.

I guess I'm saying, for every athlete a private school may "target" they're "targeting" prospective non-athletic students in much larger numbers. They have to, to stay open... They don't "own" any kids in a district.

Lest we not forget that many private institutions will likely accept anyone that meets enrollment requirements. These schools arent getting any cheaper and if you can pay some or all of the tuition I am sure you'd be welcome with open arms.

Reactions: Gene K.
Well! What do you know? A public vs private debate. Don't some of you get tired of this every single year at least three or four times a year? The argument is the same every single time and no minds are changed...EVER!

Well! What do you know? A public vs private debate. Don't some of you get tired of this every single year at least three or four times a year? The argument is the same every single time and no minds are changed...EVER!
We could say the same about American "politics" but I don't see those conversations ending either... Ever seen a southern IL Red Man gnawing Republican all the sudden become a die hard Bernie fan? Me either... You could have just as easily avoided this thread, topic, discussion and kept the thought to yourself...

For fun's sake I'm going to assume 76 is the year you graduated... which would make you somewhere in the ballpark of my parent's age. Awfully loud bunch you've turned out to be, considering you spent your time silencing every generation that's come after you. But we're the entitled one's? Just trying to keep things straight.

💯safe! C’mon now. We all know who recruits in IL football…both private and a few public.
Is it safe to assume that the reason most kids aren't transferring out of private schools and into public schools is because they have a smaller chance of winning a state title in football at said public school?

Is it safe to assume that the reason most kids aren't transferring out of private schools and into public schools is because they have a smaller chance of winning a state title in football at said public school?
Especially if said kids are students of statistics involving percentage of private schools in the IHSA and/or percentage making the playoffs then going on to win a state title?

We could say the same about American "politics" but I don't see those conversations ending either... Ever seen a southern IL Red Man gnawing Republican all the sudden become a die hard Bernie fan? Me either... You could have just as easily avoided this thread, topic, discussion and kept the thought to yourself...

For fun's sake I'm going to assume 76 is the year you graduated... which would make you somewhere in the ballpark of my parent's age. Awfully loud bunch you've turned out to be, considering you spent your time silencing every generation that's come after you. But we're the entitled one's? Just trying to keep things straight.
This is hilarious, if not thoughtless. It's the other side interested in silencing people, not ours. The difference in my posts and this is, things change while they stay the same. New things happen that adds to the conversation. This thread is the same old thing with the same responses by most of the same people. Talk about being stuck in a rut. Nothing new is ever added so why bother? Sure I could have gone by...but I didn't...neither did you.

It's not a matter of being loud. But, I have no patience with stupidity and ignorance. Hell if you want to kill some time go outside for a walk. The public vs private argument is a waste of time. There are so many good and productive threads here but this isn't one of them. Personally, I think it's a much better and more productive thread when someone comes here and asks who has the best hot dog on the Chicagoland area.

As you get older you'll understand how important time is and why it's the most precious commodity we have. Good luck!

Last edited:
Well! What do you know? A public vs private debate. Don't some of you get tired of this every single year at least three or four times a year? The argument is

You couldn't have easily avoided responding to his comment, too?
He stated a fact. You made assumptions and ripped into a person.
So for funs sake gonna assume your 🤡 shoes are a size 15.

Happens all over, there's games between catholicl schools that the fans need to go to confession the next day.

But who were those schools? Thats the most important detail of the story. Unfortunately some schools can't handle success.

2021 Instead of thanking God, Lausch was hurt and they caught a huge break, Wheaton North was all about that kind of yapping the last 2 playoff games.
I remember watching playoff games on NFHS Network i think it was games at Wheaton North.They beat catholic school i can't recall who but the fans were making comments about all star team & better start praying & being rich.I think that happened another time with them in a game vs a catholic school & another school on a game i watched made similar comments.Oh they're stealing our players & such.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Wheaton have the most churches per capita in the state 🤔
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Wheaton have the most churches per capita in the state 🤔
I checked & it was them vs Brother Rice & St.Rita whom they both referred to as the Chicago All Stars lol.Phil Acton hated losing to Joliet Catholic but said we just have to get better

I love this site. I appreciate the private vs. public debate and all debates here. It’s about high school football, and belongs here.

I have changed my mind and perspective often after reading what posters have to say.

These discussions are great unless they devolve into name calling, politics or personal attacks.

I love this site. I appreciate the private vs. public debate and all debates here. It’s about high school football, and belongs here.

I have changed my mind and perspective often after reading what posters have to say.

These discussions are great unless they devolve into name calling, politics or personal attacks.
I appreciate your honesty. But IMO in the scheme of things on a topic like this, nothing gets settled and it does devolve into what you suggest more often than not. After seeing this subject once or twice I saw nothing new being brought to the table to add to the debate. Until I do, I will respond to the side conversations. But, carry on.

Edgy, have the IHSA released a list of who is on this committee? curious is downstate will dominate like they do on most IHSA committees/votes/etc

I have not seen that yet from them....

Thanks. I will refrain from passing judgement about anything until I see who is developing the IHSA proposal.

I think if it is driven by downstate schools, the concept of an "open" division will get more traction. I think if it is more of a 50/50 split, the likely outcome will be more about changing multipliers, enrollment radiuses, etc.

From my perspective, the easiest solution would be as follows.

- Creation of an open division across all sports (2 divisions for sports like football, basketball, baseball); teams in these divisions would not be bound by enrollment radiuses, recruiting rules, transfer rules, off-season practice rules, etc. Any school can opt into an open division on a sport by sport basis.

- For standing IHSA divisions, the enrollment radius will be dropped to 10 miles unless you are a private schools and you are the closest private school to a student's family..

Honestly, who says no to that?

Football open division would likely include top catholic schools, ESL, and likely some top public schools.

IHSA gets more state championship games in basketball and football which drives $$

Schools who don't want to play catholic schools don't have to anymore.

Everyone wins.

Thanks. I will refrain from passing judgement about anything until I see who is developing the IHSA proposal.

I think if it is driven by downstate schools, the concept of an "open" division will get more traction. I think if it is more of a 50/50 split, the likely outcome will be more about changing multipliers, enrollment radiuses, etc.

From my perspective, the easiest solution would be as follows.

- Creation of an open division across all sports (2 divisions for sports like football, basketball, baseball); teams in these divisions would not be bound by enrollment radiuses, recruiting rules, transfer rules, off-season practice rules, etc. Any school can opt into an open division on a sport by sport basis.

- For standing IHSA divisions, the enrollment radius will be dropped to 10 miles unless you are a private schools and you are the closest private school to a student's family..

Honestly, who says no to that?

Football open division would likely include top catholic schools, ESL, and likely some top public schools.

IHSA gets more state championship games in basketball and football which drives $$

Schools who don't want to play catholic schools don't have to anymore.

Everyone wins.
Schools can opt up now and dont for the most part.

Reactions: mc140
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT