ADVERTISEMENT

IL Players Entering the Transfer Portal

I don’t know who they are. My guess is Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and thought it would be Wisky but I’m sure Fickell will reassess talent and offers on the table.
Agree Wiscy makes sense - and hearing Fickell press conf the other day, he is making Chicago #1 priority it seems. They don’t have anybody else so I can definitely buy Wiscy.

Im sure there may be some schools who are kicking the tires but im 99.9% positive schools havent officially offered him a scholarship when hes still playing and not even in the portal. Thats not how that works.
The offers have been out there for a couple years and are still on the table. Goes back to his injury year. Obviously, nothing is commitable as it stands until the portal is the path. Regardless of semantics, if he hits the portal the offers will fly in from virtually every P5 conference.

The offers have been out there for a couple years and are still on the table. Goes back to his injury year. Obviously, nothing is commitable as it stands until the portal is the path. Regardless of semantics, if he hits the portal the offers will fly in from virtually every P5 conference.
Lol again, thats not how any of that works. Even for the elite, 4* type prospects thats not how it works.

Personally i think hes probably at the right level. His passing stats are pretty average for the fcs level.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Lol again, thats not how any of that works. Even for the elite, 4* type prospects thats not how it works.

Personally i think hes probably at the right level. His passing stats are pretty average for the fcs level.
You know better than I, obviously. I'll stay out of things.

I have to disagree that he doesn’t belong at the FBS level. The stats are good, he can run and pass. Most of all he’s clearly a winner with that winner intangible.

Honestly he reminds me a lot of JJ Mccarthy who lets be honest, hasn’t been the most accurate QB for MI so far (I think JJ is fantastic).

He bombed against Iowa’s Defense - fair enough. I still think he’s a B1G starting caliber QB. Guys like Mertz (WI), Padilla/Petras (Iowa), NWs QBs are definitely not better than what MG can offer.

I don’t think these look to shabby the top row needs to shift one column to the right. 8 INTs to 33TDs I’ll take any day and his completion this year is 65% averaging 204yds per game and 12.1 yds per pass attempt.
GPCMPATTINTYDSTDLong%AVG/PAVG/G
2020-2110108188315651576.5714.5156.5
Total212934738381233760.628.1181.5

Reactions: Gene K.
Corey - exposure to what for LB3? The guy is a 1st rd pick whether he plays for Mizzou or USC imo. IMO the ones missing out with LB3 sticking woth Mizzou are the fans. Other than personal stats and a chance to win a national title, I don’t think LB3 is hurting his draft stock staying at Mizzou one bit.
So how many 1st round picks are bust. He needs to show case his talent. USC , Alabama are l two programs that grab attention. Mizzou not so much and they are not show casing him at all.
If he is smart he will look at what’s transpired over this year and make the decision. It’s a very important decision.

Yes I’ve seen coaches with Losing and winning records let their egos get in the way of playing their best players. I thought that was pretty clear in my last message, but I suppose you had a very hard weekend with the publics losing 5 of 8 and the private school up north handing it to your land grant Buckeyes.
Their you are, now that’s the person we have come to know. It’s was just a matter of time before you surfaced. You keep being you.
Have a nice day!😊

I don’t think these look to shabby the top row needs to shift one column to the right. 8 INTs to 33TDs I’ll take any day and his completion this year is 65% averaging 204yds per game and 12.1 yds per pass attempt.
GPCMPATTINTYDSTDLong%AVG/PAVG/G
2020-2110108188315651576.5714.5156.5
Total212934738381233760.628.1181.5
Those numbers are middle of the pack FCS qb numbers. Hes 47th in passing yards. 28th in TDs. 43rd in completions. 53rd in yards/att. 50th in comp/game. 54th in total off.

He deserves a lot of credit for being the qb of the #1 team in the country, but hes really not putting up numbers that p5 schools would be knocking down the door to get.

Reactions: stl705
I have to disagree that he doesn’t belong at the FBS level. The stats are good, he can run and pass. Most of all he’s clearly a winner with that winner intangible.

Honestly he reminds me a lot of JJ Mccarthy who lets be honest, hasn’t been the most accurate QB for MI so far (I think JJ is fantastic).

He bombed against Iowa’s Defense - fair enough. I still think he’s a B1G starting caliber QB. Guys like Mertz (WI), Padilla/Petras (Iowa), NWs QBs are definitely not better than what MG can offer.
He has 179 rushing yards all year at less than 3 yards per carry. Its not even top 30 for qbs (its likely not even top 50 since only 30 qbs were in the list of top 200 rushers and #30 has more than twice as many rushing yards)

Reactions: stl705
If the B1G West schools want to only look at numbers when recruiting QBs, then let Iowa and Wiscy etc can keep bringing in 4* recruits from NJ or California that they can’t develop. I understand if the SEC teams even at the bottom aren’t knocking, but Iowa, WI, NW, are right in the backyard. They need a winner at QB, not somebody who can throw for a ton of yards in 75 degree weather.

Gronoski has lost 1 game against a top 7 FBS defense. These B1G West schools need to look at the intangibles. As much as Iowa would love to bring in Cade McNamera, it just isn’t happening for them. Gronowski is a guy they can bring in and see if he can win the starting job against another transfer. Ditto for NW and WI.

He has 179 rushing yards all year at less than 3 yards per carry. Its not even top 30 for qbs (its likely not even top 50 since only 30 qbs were in the list of top 200 rushers and #30 has more than twice as many rushing yards)
Where are you getting FCS stats? I’m trying to see where some of the top rushing leaders are at for the QB position but can’t find that. He had 577 yds as a freshman, I’m curious how that would fare against QBs this season. Now at 179 with about same carries - I’m wondering if that’s just luck of draw or part of injury recovery?

If the B1G West schools want to only look at numbers when recruiting QBs, then let Iowa and Wiscy etc can keep bringing in 4* recruits from NJ or California that they can’t develop. I understand if the SEC teams even at the bottom aren’t knocking, but Iowa, WI, NW, are right in the backyard. They need a winner at QB, not somebody who can throw for a ton of yards in 75 degree weather.

Gronoski has lost 1 game against a top 7 FBS defense. These B1G West schools need to look at the intangibles. As much as Iowa would love to bring in Cade McNamera, it just isn’t happening for them. Gronowski is a guy they can bring in and see if he can win the starting job against another transfer. Ditto for NW and WI.
Do you recall what he did in that game vs Iowa? He was 10-26 for 87 yards. He had 10 carries for -21 yards. It seems like alot of you guys are grossly underestimating the gap between FCS and B10 football. Hes not even an elite fcs qb and you think he should be starting in the b10??

Where are you getting FCS stats? I’m trying to see where some of the top rushing leaders are at for the QB position but can’t find that. He had 577 yds as a freshman, I’m curious how that would fare against QBs this season. Now at 179 with about same carries - I’m wondering if that’s just luck of draw or part of injury recovery?
Its on the NCAA website. Most stats can be filtered by position but the lists only include the top 200.

What’s more important? Having stats that satisfy you and your metrics or wins on the field?

He hasn’t had to run this year because they have a stud RB who more than likely will be in the league next year. Add in his devastating knee injury in the NC game and you can probably understand his low running numbers.

Do you recall what he did in that game vs Iowa? He was 10-26 for 87 yards. He had 10 carries for -21 yards. It seems like alot of you guys are grossly underestimating the gap between FCS and B10 football. Hes not even an elite fcs qb and you think he should be starting in the b10??
No one thinks he should be starting in the B1G. Does the OL he’s playing behind and the Iowa D he faced matter or are you simply going on the numbers?

JHA,

I watched the game and recall him losing his #1 receiver and #2TE in the first half I believe, and the #1 TE was already out. Perhaps it’s better to cherry pick a game when you actually watched the game. Stats can be used to make up any story you want without the complete context.

JHA,

I watched the game and recall him losing his #1 receiver and #2TE in the first half I believe, and the #1 TE was already out. Perhaps it’s better to cherry pick a game when you actually watched the game. Stats can be used to make up any story you want without the complete context.
Im not cherry picking stats at all. Ive been quoting his cumulative stats for all 11 games hes played this year.

Reactions: mc140
The stats. 100%. We are talking about a qb transferring from FCS to a P5 school.
If you are an Iowa or WI fan would you say no to MG? After watching Petras and Mertz play like FCS QBs I’d say you wouldn’t. I’d want a winner, not a stat sheet stuffer. Maybe that’s just me.

Reactions: Gene K.
No one thinks he should be starting in the B1G. Does the OL he’s playing behind and the Iowa D he faced matter or are you simply going on the numbers?
Like ive said, his numbers for the season (including Iowa) arent that impressive considering we are talking about him being a qb at a p5 school.

Like ive said, his numbers for the season (including Iowa) arent that impressive considering we are talking about him being a qb at a p5 school.
Numbers don’t tell the story. You want a winner or a stat sheet stuffer? Winning is hard to come by. Stats not so much.

If you are an Iowa or WI fan would you say no to MG? After watching Petras and Mertz play like FCS QBs I’d say you wouldn’t.
Thats quite the false dichotomy there. I wouldnt want Petras, Mertz or MG. Just because Petras and Mertz are below average doesn't mean they should settle for the next below average guy.
I’d want a winner, not a stat sheet stuffer. Maybe that’s just me.

Again, another false dichotomy. There are plenty of guys who are winners AND put up the numbers to be considered elite qbs.

Thats quite the false dichotomy there. I wouldnt want Petras, Mertz or MG. Just because Petras and Mertz are below average doesn't mean they should settle for the next below average guy.

Again, another false dichotomy. There are plenty of guys who are winners AND put up the numbers to be considered elite qbs.
All fair points. I can’t dismiss them at all. And no one is saying he’s an elite QB. Not even close. You do, however, understand how hard it is to win in the FargoDome, right? He’s 2-0 there. I’m not gonna dig up stats as he certainly wasn’t elite in either game but give me a massive win in a huge rivalry game over a guy who throws for 400 and loses.

All fair points. I can’t dismiss them at all. And no one is saying he’s an elite QB. Not even close. You do, however, understand how hard it is to win in the FargoDome, right? He’s 2-0 there. I’m not gonna dig up stats as he certainly wasn’t elite in either game but give me a massive win in a huge rivalry game over a guy who throws for 400 and loses.
To me, an FCS qb who is looked at as potentially being a starter at a b10 school should be considered elite at the FCS level. Id be looking for a guy who is top 10 statistically in several categories. Winning is great, but you have to look at what he can do individually once you take him out of his system and you raise the competition level

To me, an FCS qb who is looked at as potentially being a starter at a b10 school should be considered elite at the FCS level. Id be looking for a guy who is top 10 statistically in several categories. Winning is great, but you have to look at what he can do individually once you take him out of his system and you raise the competition level
That’s fair. And to be honest, you, me, or anyone can’t say for sure that he can’t compete. Give him a P5 OL with P5 offensive talent and he could kill it. Or he won’t. All I know if I’m an Iowa or Wisconsin fan I’m hoping my team takes a shot. It can’t be worse than what they have had the combined last 7 years.

Im not cherry picking stats at all. Ive been quoting his cumulative stats for all 11 games hes played this year.
1) You actually picked the Iowa game as an example of how he’d do in the B1G. ie Cherry picking.
2) How many statistically great QBs have come from Bama, Clemson, THE ohio state university, Georgia, etc… and have been complete busts at the next level, while #199 has won 7 Super Bowls?

So you don’t like an in-kind smarta$$ response like you generally give. Understood, have a great day and you keep doin you 😭
😊
No no
Smart $SS response is fine but you didn’t give one. You gave a dumb response one we here every year, a private/public response that has nothing to do with the topic. Then you pull a full monte with the OSU/Michigan game? Some how you think that bothers me? You don’t really have a clue. Your like a bad virus, you show up like a nightmare and then you go away until you see another opportunity to infect. We know who you are and understand your need to be heard.
I will wait for your reply because you can’t help yourself. Have a nice day. 😊

1) You actually picked the Iowa game as an example of how he’d do in the B1G. ie Cherry picking.
2) How many statistically great QBs have come from Bama, Clemson, THE ohio state university, Georgia, etc… and have been complete busts at the next level, while #199 has won 7 Super Bowls?
1. Considering we are discussing MG being a qb in the b10 his 1 game vs b10 competition seems relevant (granted a bad game doesn't necessarily mean he will fail) But I will bet dollars to donuts that if his one game vs a b10 team was outstanding, it would certainly be used by some as an indicator he could play in the b10.

2. I dont know how that information would be relevant to what we are talking about. Besides, NFL teams try and project what a player will become in the next 10-15 years. College coaches are looking at transfers as projecting what they could become in the next year. Maybe 2. Its a completely different evaluation.

Citing TB being pick #199 and winning 7 SB is the epitome of cherry picking stats. Hes the exception, not the rule.

1. Considering we are discussing MG being a qb in the b10 his 1 game vs b10 competition seems relevant (granted a bad game doesn't necessarily mean he will fail) But I will bet dollars to donuts that if his one game vs a b10 team was outstanding, it would certainly be used by some as an indicator he could play in the b10.

2. I dont know how that information would be relevant to what we are talking about. Besides, NFL teams try and project what a player will become in the next 10-15 years. College coaches are looking at transfers as projecting what they could become in the next year. Maybe 2. Its a completely different evaluation.

Citing TB being pick #199 and winning 7 SB is the epitome of cherry picking stats. Hes the exception, not the rule.
JHA,
I will just agree to disagree with you, my point is similar to what you just summed things up with which was we don’t know what we get until we give it a try and Mark as a transfer is as good or better bet than a HS QB over the next 2-3 years on any P5 schools roster.

😊
No no
Smart $SS response is fine but you didn’t give one. You gave a dumb response one we here every year, a private/public response that has nothing to do with the topic. Then you pull a full monte with the OSU/Michigan game? Some how you think that bothers me? You don’t really have a clue. Your like a bad virus, you show up like a nightmare and then you go away until you see another opportunity to infect. We know who you are and understand your need to be heard.
I will wait for your reply because you can’t help yourself. Have a nice day. 😊
Corey,

Feel free to feel superior to me and know I’m comfortable in your attempts to bully me to be silent. You don’t know me even though you feel you do and I’ll wake up tomorrow morning fine with or without your approval or validation. Please feel free to continue bashing this Public(District III PA and District 203/204 IL) and Private(ESCC, CCL, etc…) school supporter.

Corey - exposure to what for LB3? The guy is a 1st rd pick whether he plays for Mizzou or USC imo. IMO the ones missing out with LB3 sticking woth Mizzou are the fans. Other than personal stats and a chance to win a national title, I don’t think LB3 is hurting his draft stock staying at Mizzou one bit.
exactly, he'll be a top draft pick if healthy regardless! maybe more exposure = more NIL in a bigger market

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT