ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA Insanity

ramblinman

Jul 18, 2001
Once again, the IHSA idiots prove that they cannot read a map. What were they thinking when they scheduled a 4A supersectional game in ROCKFORD for the NILES WEST and BARRINGTON sectionals? The correct answer is that they WEREN'T thinking.

For the record, here are the 4A schools that fed into the Niles West and Barrington sectionals:

NILES WEST SECTIONAL
Chicago (Foreman)
Chicago (Lane)
Chicago (Mather)
Chicago (Northside)
Chicago (Prosser)
Chicago (Schurz)
Chicago (St. Patrick)
Chicago (Steinmetz)
Chicago (Taft)
Chicago (Von Steuben)
Des Plaines (Maine West)
Evanston (Twp.)
*Franklin Park-Northlake (Leyden)
*Glenview (Glenbrook South)
*Niles (Notre Dame)
Park Ridge (Maine East)
Park Ridge (Maine South)
Skokie (Niles North)
Skokie (Niles West)
Wilmette (Loyola Academy)
*Winnetka (New Trier)

BARRINGTON SECTIONAL
Arlington Heights (Hersey)
Barrington
Buffalo Grove
Deerfield
Fox Lake (Grant)
Gurnee (Warren)
Highland Park
Lake Forest (H.S.)
*Lake Zurich
*Libertyville
*Lincolnshire (Stevenson)
Mt. Prospect (Prospect)
Mundelein (Carmel)
*Mundelein (H.S.)
Northbrook (Glenbrook North)
Palatine (Fremd)
Palatine (H.S.)
Round Lake
Waukegan (H.S.)
Wheeling
Zion (Z.-Benton)

It seems like every year, the IHSA treats us to some absolutely asinine decisions in terms of playoff travel. This one is a doozy.

Did any place near Barrington or Niles West step up and offer to host a Supersectional?

Re: How About This One ramblin....

It is possible that the 4A baseball state title could match up two teams from the same conference...which haappened a few years ago with Notre Dame and JCA in the old AA format..It is possible that Naperville Central...and Wheaton North both members of the Du Page Valley Conference could meet Saturday night at Silver Cross Field for the Class 4A title. That would be provided both win their respective Super-Sectionals today in which Central would meet the winner of the 1st Rockford Super-Sectional (Stevenson vs Maine South)and Wheaton would face the winner of today's SS in Crestwood between St Rita and Andrew in the semi-final games Friday..Based on the teams involved it might be a long shot...yet it still is possible!

I did a little research into the history of the IHSA baseball championships which goes back to 1940. I'm not 100% certain on conference affiliations back to those earlier years, but based on the info I have it appears that this, should it happen, would be the 4th time. In 1946 Fenger and Kelly both out of Chicago played for the title, in '66 Glenbrook North and Maine South which had both began play that school year in the newly formed Central Suburban Conference...Of course in 2004 Notre Dame out of Niles and Joliet Catholic Academy , members of the ESCC met for the old AA title..BTW those two schools were charter members (1960) of the old Suburban Catholic Conference which would eventually over time become the current ESCC that we all know...and some love....

I just found it surprising...although I guess not out of the ordinary that this set up the way it did....and people think it only happens in football...

MIKEFTB
This post was edited on 6/7 4:25 PM by MIKEFTB

Re: How About This One ramblin....

Mike, don't forget that in '04 Carmel Catholic took 3rd place in AA to make it an all ESCC sweep (1-2-3).

That there still blows my mind. Gotta love ESCC baseball!

Don't know. Don't know if any were ASKED to host one either.

On the off chance that they couldn't find a supersectional host from among those schools, dontcha think they could have found something closer to them than ROCKFORD? The Schaumburg Flyers' field or Northwestern's field, perhaps?
This post was edited on 6/8 12:14 PM by ramblinman

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT