ADVERTISEMENT

If you could pick any two teams to play each other in Illinois football history. Who and why

1990 JCA vs. 2005 Morris. Alstott vs. Dergo
How about 2004 JCA vs 2005 Morris.

2004 JCA handled Morris and shut Dergo down on a rainy day in Champaign. That defense was next level, perhaps the best I have ever seen. But 2005 Morris was way better than 2004 Morris. Would be fun to see Dergo vs Jeske with both as seniors and at their best.

Reactions: rjjtwest and 4Afan
How about 2004 JCA vs 2005 Morris.

2004 JCA handled Morris and shut Dergo down on a rainy day in Champaign. That defense was next level, perhaps the best I have ever seen. But 2005 Morris was way better than 2004 Morris. Would be fun to see Dergo vs Jeske with both as seniors and at their best.
Oh I remember, i believe dergo was held to 65 or so yards rushing in that 04 title game!

These matchups would answer the question of each program's greatest team.

Rochester 2010 vs Rochester 2017. The best championship defense (2010) vs the best championship offense (2017).

SHG 2014 vs SHG 2023. The collision of two of the all-time high scoring championship offenses.

Chatham 1998 vs Chatham 2019. The 1998 champions vs the 2019 semi-finalists, who dominated the entire season until facing East St Louis.

1998 MC Caravan vs 1998 WWS Tigers. Caravan D led by Jerry Schumacher vs. Tigers O led by Jon Beutjer. They both finished 14-0 and I think one was 1 in the Trib and 1 was 1 in the Times (Maybe wrong on that it was 25 years ago)

This is easy
ESL Vs LWE neutral field.
Two power programs that have never played each other. It would be a huge game!
The ESTL vs LW Central was a home and home way back in the early 2000”s. Lincoln-Way East had just opened as an all Junior class for year one of that series. Never played LWE.

Reactions: corey90
This is easy
ESL Vs LWE neutral field.
Two power programs that have never played each other. It would be a huge game!
I also want to say I have the utmost respect for the Flyer program. I am actually a fan because how they go about their business playing out of state teams ranked teams. They will play anyone win or lose they show they are not afraid regardless who you are. Ca, Tx, etc. I love that! I said it before we have some great teams in the state of IL let’s get these games on the schedule! .
Go East!
Go Flyers!
👍

ESL vs Althoff with Hickey vs Chris Moore
The class of '91 just turned 50 - you must be around that age.

I think we'd have beaten them - our D1 line would have been too much. Granted, Stovall would have had to play Homer press on D as well as play QB, but he could have done it. He did it for Padukah Tilgman.

Keep in mind, Darond was HM all-state as a junior DB while filling in at TB after Hickey broke his leg in the third game junior year. (Late hit in the endzone against Cahokia - some say it was revenge for Kevin Pitts two years earlier who had his leg broken in the sophomore game.)

This seems like the last time they have beaten the Caravan! This was my freshman year. Seeing Lampkin and his team - I was scared about playing varsity ball! Those guys were my legends, as well as dudes from Althoff. Seeing those grown men go at it and knowing I'd be in the lighted arena for the next few years made you really have to want it and get after it.

Published: Nov 22, 1987 at 12:00 am
EAST ST. LOUIS — Take away East St. Louis` speed, and what do you have?

''You have a little bit different football game,'' answered Mt. Carmel coach Frank Lenti after his team`s 19-7 loss to the Flyers in Saturday`s Class 6A semifinal. ''As far as the hitting factor was concerned, we were right there. It was pound-for-pound even up.''

But the game really can`t be measured by weight.

East St. Louis (13-0) scored only one touchdown in the first half but might have scored four. Senior tailback Marvin Lampkin, who rushed for 181 yards in 31 carries to put him at about the 1,800-yard mark this year, raced 69 yards on the game`s fourth play to make it 6-0.

Mt. Carmel (10-3) did almost nothing in the half. That`s because the Flyers almost always had the ball. After the opening TD, they mounted drives of 61, 63 and 91 yards-and didn`t score a point.

A fumble by wingback Alvin Johnson stopped the first surge at the 18. A penalty stymied the second after the Flyers had reached the Caravan 9. Then a goal-line stand by Mt. Carmel stopped East St. Louis twice from the 1. ''We moved it everywhere but in the end zone,'' said Flyers coach Bob Shannon.

''You knew you`d better get something on the board before things started turning against you.''

Turn they did. On its second possession of the second half, Mt. Carmel mixed in the running of Tony Martisauskas and Jim Bird, key passes of 10 and 14 yards from quarterback Robert Rugai to Mark Norville, a questionable pass interference call in the end zone against East St. Louis, and scored on a 61- yard drive with 2:27 left in the third quarter.

The scoring play was pure razzle-dazzle. On fourth goal from the 1, Bird hit the line and appeared to be stopped. But he squirmed around and flipped the ball to a waiting Martisauskas, who swept into the end zone past the duped Flyers. ''That`s a play we practice but have never used in a game,'' Lenti said.

Jeff Juretic`s PAT left East St. Louis trailing for the first time all season, 7-6.

''I wanted to think we`d rise to the occasion and hold them,'' Lenti said. ''But when your outmatched for pure speed, it`s a tough task.''

The Flyers drove 74 yards in 12 plays and scored on a 3-yard run by Lampkin for a 12-7 lead with 9:22 left. ''If we had played with that type of intensity throughout the game, it wouldn`t have been close,'' Shannon said.

Mt. Carmel couldn`t move on its next two possessions, the second one ending with a failure on fourth and 13. East St. Louis scored three plays later on a 23-yard run by quarterback Vernon Powell.

Mt. Carmel rushed for 74 yards (51 by Bird) and passed for only 38. East St. Louis racked up 338 yards and scored three rushing TDs against a team that had yielded only one all season.

''Our defense couldn`t get off the field,'' Lenti said, ''and when our offense got out there, they couldn`t stay on the field.''

The Flyers, in their 12th season under Shannon, go after their fifth state title (1979, `83, `84, `85) next Saturday against Hersey. Lenti gave them the edge, but he`s already thinking about next season, when five of his six interior linemen return.

Shannon was cautious. ''This team can be beaten if it plays like it did today,'' he said. ''We`ll play better next week.''

This seems like the last time they have beaten the Caravan! This was my freshman year. Seeing Lampkin and his team - I was scared about playing varsity ball! Those guys were my legends, as well as dudes from Althoff. Seeing those grown men go at it and knowing I'd be in the lighted arena for the next few years made you really have to want it and get after it.

Published: Nov 22, 1987 at 12:00 am
EAST ST. LOUIS — Take away East St. Louis` speed, and what do you have?

''You have a little bit different football game,'' answered Mt. Carmel coach Frank Lenti after his team`s 19-7 loss to the Flyers in Saturday`s Class 6A semifinal. ''As far as the hitting factor was concerned, we were right there. It was pound-for-pound even up.''

But the game really can`t be measured by weight.

East St. Louis (13-0) scored only one touchdown in the first half but might have scored four. Senior tailback Marvin Lampkin, who rushed for 181 yards in 31 carries to put him at about the 1,800-yard mark this year, raced 69 yards on the game`s fourth play to make it 6-0.

Mt. Carmel (10-3) did almost nothing in the half. That`s because the Flyers almost always had the ball. After the opening TD, they mounted drives of 61, 63 and 91 yards-and didn`t score a point.

A fumble by wingback Alvin Johnson stopped the first surge at the 18. A penalty stymied the second after the Flyers had reached the Caravan 9. Then a goal-line stand by Mt. Carmel stopped East St. Louis twice from the 1. ''We moved it everywhere but in the end zone,'' said Flyers coach Bob Shannon.

''You knew you`d better get something on the board before things started turning against you.''

Turn they did. On its second possession of the second half, Mt. Carmel mixed in the running of Tony Martisauskas and Jim Bird, key passes of 10 and 14 yards from quarterback Robert Rugai to Mark Norville, a questionable pass interference call in the end zone against East St. Louis, and scored on a 61- yard drive with 2:27 left in the third quarter.

The scoring play was pure razzle-dazzle. On fourth goal from the 1, Bird hit the line and appeared to be stopped. But he squirmed around and flipped the ball to a waiting Martisauskas, who swept into the end zone past the duped Flyers. ''That`s a play we practice but have never used in a game,'' Lenti said.

Jeff Juretic`s PAT left East St. Louis trailing for the first time all season, 7-6.

''I wanted to think we`d rise to the occasion and hold them,'' Lenti said. ''But when your outmatched for pure speed, it`s a tough task.''

The Flyers drove 74 yards in 12 plays and scored on a 3-yard run by Lampkin for a 12-7 lead with 9:22 left. ''If we had played with that type of intensity throughout the game, it wouldn`t have been close,'' Shannon said.

Mt. Carmel couldn`t move on its next two possessions, the second one ending with a failure on fourth and 13. East St. Louis scored three plays later on a 23-yard run by quarterback Vernon Powell.

Mt. Carmel rushed for 74 yards (51 by Bird) and passed for only 38. East St. Louis racked up 338 yards and scored three rushing TDs against a team that had yielded only one all season.

''Our defense couldn`t get off the field,'' Lenti said, ''and when our offense got out there, they couldn`t stay on the field.''

The Flyers, in their 12th season under Shannon, go after their fifth state title (1979, `83, `84, `85) next Saturday against Hersey. Lenti gave them the edge, but he`s already thinking about next season, when five of his six interior linemen return.

Shannon was cautious. ''This team can be beaten if it plays like it did today,'' he said. ''We`ll play better next week.''
And Shannon was wrong as the Hersey Huskies dominated them in the state title game. That ESL team was nationally ranked I believe #5 in USA today. Laid an egg

From the same year, I think like many would list, 1998 MC v WWS. That being said more than happy MC got to play and beat PC twice when they came into the game 62-1 from 94-98.

These matchups would answer the question of each program's greatest team.

Rochester 2010 vs Rochester 2017. The best championship defense (2010) vs the best championship offense (2017).

SHG 2014 vs SHG 2023. The collision of two of the all-time high scoring championship offenses.

Chatham 1998 vs Chatham 2019. The 1998 champions vs the 2019 semi-finalists, who dominated the entire season until facing East St Louis.
rocket, did you mean the 2013 SHG team?

rocket, did you mean the 2013 SHG team?
After further review, the 2013 team did outscore the 2014 team 744-716, while 2023 scored 742. I originally picked 2014 because of the memory of 13 straight running clock wins before Montini was able to play a full game against SHG in the finals.

First Choice

Brian Cox's ESL team vs. 2001 Wheaton South

second choice

Joey Schley's Provi team vs. Mike Alstot's JCA team

third choice

Tim Brasic's R-B team. vs. last year's Normal

I'd love to go back to 1965 & have an 32 team 8 class playoff with all teams being eligible to get in the state playoffs. All Conference Champs,Teans with won 9,8,7,6 & some 5 win teams. Also in 1976 & 1977 Reavis & St Laurence we're at opposite ends of the same classification of state playoffs. Burbank was on fire & imagine 1976 Reavis vs St Laurence for state. And then 1977 a rematch for state between the 2? Vikes win in 76 & Rams in 77. Both years you'd be able to rob any house in Burbank as they'd all be at state

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT