ADVERTISEMENT

Home/Away

I feel like a bunch of the St Francis Week Niners are starting to wake from their 3 score Super Bowl slumber and they do not like the idea of having to play without their ‘home cooking’

Home field advantage is over rated in high school. I wouldn’t mind neutral site semifinals there are some really nice facilities to host at like Bolingbrook, Hinsdale Central or Naperville Central to name a few but otherwise the current system is fine. Half the fun of the playoffs is road games.

Last edited:
I'll play devil's advocate. An example in 7A. Do we think Normal would be 12-0 if they played the same schedule as Downers Grove North? I don't either. The system isn't perfect, but not every undefeated team is better than their opponent with a blemish on their resume.

I'll play devil's advocate. An example in 7A. Do we think Normal would be 12-0 if they played the same schedule as Downers Grove North? I don't either. The system isn't perfect, but not every undefeated team is better than their opponent with a blemish on their resume.
I was just typing something along the same lines. If we are going to just go blindly by records and continue to have 15 seeds reach the semi finals it seems like the best practice to make sure the ‘better’ teams get to play at home as well. Others will say the PC thing regarding it’s the fair thing to do giving all teams a chance to pay the IHSA from their gate money. 😏

Why are so many of you afraid your team can't go on the road and beat a lower seeded team?

I dont get it.
Because deep down inside those higher seeds know the seedings mean absolutely nothing in HS and in my opinion are the biggest flaw with the post season. We blindly take the stellar records of teams like Antioch and Payton and Quincy and reward them for not losing to their cupcake schedules and punish teams like Mt Carmel or Carmel for losing 1 game to better competition. Only for Mt Carmel and Carmel to come and embarrass those teams at their home field because they were seeded higher.

Because deep down inside those higher seeds know the seedings mean absolutely nothing in HS and in my opinion are the biggest flaw with the post season. We blindly take the stellar records of teams like Antioch and Payton and Quincy and reward them for not losing to their cupcake schedules and punish teams like Mt Carmel or Carmel for losing 1 game to better competition. Only for Mt Carmel and Carmel to come and embarrass those teams at their home field because they were seeded higher.

There is no perfect system.

If a team can't win two playoff games on the road then they don't deserve to go downstate.

I feel that playing on the road in the playoffs is a great experience. I have expressed this before, but I loved playing a semi-final game on the road when i was in high school. Rolling into Belvidere on a cold Saturday in November and playing in front of a large, hostile crowd was a great experience. I suppose winning helped, but the whole atmosphere and experience was very cool. As a fan, some of my favorite experiences were at away semi-final games. LaSalle-Peru, Normal, Richmond-Burton and Pontiac were all great places to watch semi-final games as a visitor.

There is no perfect system.

If a team can't win two playoff games on the road then they don't deserve to go downstate.
I agree no perfect system. I just wish strength of schedule played a bigger part in the seedings like a hybrid between what we have now and the NCAA rankings. There is a reason why undefeated Liberty and James Madison aren't in the top 10 but a 1 loss Alabama, Texas and Oregon are in the top 10

I agree no perfect system. I just wish strength of schedule played a bigger part in the seedings like a hybrid between what we have now and the NCAA rankings. There is a reason why undefeated Liberty and James Madison aren't in the top 10 but a 1 loss Alabama, Texas and Oregon are in the top 10
The problem is designing a seeding model that easily understood and tested. If they had a system that wasn't easily applied it'd be ripe for controversery over the rankings.

Reactions: 4Afan

You would probably have to end up rating strength of conferences and have all teams play 3 or 4 games out of conference games to be able to get a sample size to rate each conference.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
Nah, I just think it's weird...whatever it is what it is.
Not concerned that it is at NAZ, just concerned it is NAZ again,
That is a fair concern. Though I think you guys will be alright. Sandbaggin aside that QB is VERY good and should be at least considered for POY. You've gone on the road and won against some good teams this whole season and you manhandled them in week 9 and while I've joked about that its still a fact that should ease your concerns a bit.

Reactions: Gene K.
The problem is designing a seeding model that easily understood and tested. If they had a system that wasn't easily applied it'd be ripe for controversery over the rankings.
I am in the process of developing a perfect playoff format. Ha ha ha! It should be released sometime in March 2024.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
I am in the process of developing a perfect playoff format. Ha ha ha! It should be released sometime in March 2024.
Then you may want to share it with the nation because every state divides their playoffs into classes based on size. Some have other variables like everyone getting into the playoffs, separating public and private, or having an open class, but ultimately they're all broken down based on enrollment.

It also hurts teams like Kankakee who was ranked #2 all year and had to play ESL in the quarterfinals simply because ESL had a very tough non-con and dropped 2 games.

Reactions: flyerforlife
Sterling took out the #1 seed in Naz's bracket Naz took down the #2 and I think Morris may have technically been the overall #1 for 5A but I hear ya and agree with the home game talk but I don't know about table running this year. St Francis and JCA are a lot stiffer of competition than last years table run.

Reactions: Gene K.
I like how the home team is determined. Only possible suggestion would be to give teams the option to defer. So a top seed could opt to go on the road in an early round game with the hopes of improving their chances to host a later round game.

OOOOh I like that defer idea that would be cool and add a whole new level of strategy.

Deferring can bite you in the butt, and neutral sites make the game too vanilla.

My boys love a nasty crowd. We do pretty well. I wouldn't mind being at Batavia this Saturday - not, at all.

Pus, we've run into some pretty wonderful pork chop sandwiches. I'm hoping Woodstock makes the playoffs next year.

Reactions: RockSoup and tuccs
Neutral sites for Semis would be wonderful.
Trying to meet in the middle I came up with the following for 8A & 7A

8A
LA vs York @ Maine South
LWE vs Barrington @ Bolingbrook

7A
MC vs Batavia @ Hinsdale Central
DGN vs Normal @ LaSalle Peru

Reactions: RD_Watcher

8A
LA vs York @ Maine South

7A
Nobody at Hinsdale Central cares a whit about Mt Carmel or Batavia.
Bad idea

Reactions: Jenny27

8A
LA vs York @ Maine South

7A

Yuk this idea of neutral field really sucks.

Reactions: corey90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT