ADVERTISEMENT

Highland/JCA

Highland looking just out of gas. Don’t like the play calling sometimes and especially early. Why not establish the run early? Why are we not onside kicking. JCA started everydrive it seems at the 40 or better.

How many teams are in your conference? How many teams won those 7 state championships? My guess would be JC early and Naz as of late will have most if not all of those championships. I don't buy into the conference strength or weakness as each team is different each year. Unless you are person that can get out and actually see games in other conferences, your opinion is bias to what you see. The "strength" of the conference will have absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the game this weekend.
Perhaps you SHOULD buy into the concept of conference strength or weakness. A fourth place team from the East Suburban Catholic Conference is easily beating a first place team from the Mississippi Valley Conference. Nevertheless, Highland's offense played well today and the team as a whole had a great season. The young men have much to be proud of.

For me the way JCA has been playing so great the last 3 games, they are now the favorite to win class 5a.

I absolutely believe that strength of schedule has a lot to do with helping prepare teams for the postseason. It doesn’t mean that a team like Highland can’t score play in a poor conference and make a state title game.

Offense started too slow and just obviously overmatched. Their size up front and control of the ball and time of possession was huge. They are a load and their backs are also huge and tough. Congratulations to JCA and good luck next week.

Eating crow on over 40 points but they moved the ball just couldn’t finish drives.

For me the way JCA has been playing so great the last 3 games, they are now the favorite to win class 5a.

True statement on their last thre games. Not certain they win 5A. Credit the coaching staff for not letting early season woes define the season. JCA playing their best football when it counts.

True statement on their last thre games. Not certain they win 5A. Credit the coaching staff for not letting early season woes define the season. JCA playing their best football when it counts.
Agreed, not the same team that played IC week one...

Reactions: Wassup13
Highland could not stop jca. Jca scored on every possession but one, and that ended on a fumble on the one yard line. JCA finished with 590 yards in the ground.

Highland has a nice offense, but were just overall outmatched physically.

Last edited:
Highland looking just out of gas. Don’t like the play calling sometimes and especially early. Why not establish the run early? Why are we not onside kicking. JCA started everydrive it seems at the 40 or better.
I didn't understand that either. I thought for sure Highland would open the 2nd half with an onside kick.

Reactions: PhatJoeSki
HHS,

Like I said Line play is average at best. Also believe I told you combo blocking like Highland hasn’t seen. I watched most of the game but was driving back from the Penn State game this afternoon and couldn’t watch every down. Curious how that scoring on 60% of you possessions went today? You may not have to fear The Hill...but you best respect them!

I absolutely believe that strength of schedule has a lot to do with helping prepare teams for the postseason. It doesn’t mean that a team like Highland can’t score play in a poor conference and make a state title game.

Offense started too slow and just obviously overmatched. Their size up front and control of the ball and time of possession was huge. They are a load and their backs are also huge and tough. Congratulations to JCA and good luck next week.

Eating crow on over 40 points but they moved the ball just couldn’t finish drives.

3/9 is what i think is was. With a couple drives stalling in the red zone. Highland had 0 stops and recovered a missnap. JCA totally manhandled them and deserve the win. Like I said earlier, good luck to JCA next round.

I give all credit to J-chill -1 where ever he is. He came in like a wrecking ball and woke the echoes up at JCA. You all owe him an apology

He still did not quite get that predicted 600 yard rushing game, not quite

Last edited:
I didn't understand that either. I thought for sure Highland would open the 2nd half with an onside kick.

1. Any JCA fan knows balls NEVER ever bounce our way. Never.

2. That curse started against wws in the 91 title game on loss.

3. Perhaps the bad bouncing ball game was the ZOO win, when Otto recovered 7 I believe. Not a joke.

4. Check that, the worst was the 70 point bronco game in the title when with the lead in the 3rd qtr, we fumbled on 2 of 3 possessions...and an int on the other.

5. We also have a collection of huh moments like the 4th down QB spike play against Marist on their 1 with a minute left, or, of course the fake punt play.

6. Jesus.

I give all credit to J-chill -1 where ever he is. He came in like a wrecking ball and woke the echoes up at JCA. You all owe him an apology
Lol. He deleted his account.does anyone know what the last straw was for him?

Let’s keep ESL out these petty comparisons. We are definitely on a different level and all teams up north cringe when the Orange and Blue comes to town..

Except Mt. Carmel, or WWS right? It doesn't appear either of those two schools cringe at all. lol.

HHS,

Let’s count the minimum, JCA scored 8 times and missed at least once on a scoring drive plus you either got the opening kick or second half kick unless you blew the call at the coin flip like MCC did a few years ago awarding both kick offs to Naz, not something I would have advised then or now. So guess what, that leaves y’all with a minimum of 10 possessions and 3 scores so you scored on 30% or less of your drives. Thought you were coming back loud and proud regardless of outcome? Looking much more timid and shy now?!

3/9 is what i think is was. With a couple drives stalling in the red zone. Highland had 0 stops and recovered a missnap. JCA totally manhandled them and deserve the win. Like I said earlier, good luck to JCA next round.

I was wrong. Highland had their chances just didn’t finish on a few drives. I still think they had a very nice offense this year and just got overmatched by JCAs size up front.

I was hoping they would establish the run early so they could go over the top to Laporta. The very first series the opened with two incompletions. I believe two or three series stalled on the JCA side of the field. 2/5 scores the first half. And 1/4 the second half which includes a drive at the very end. So 3/9 like I said in the quoted message. I came back and congratulated JCA last night like I said I would. So whatever you have to tell yourself. Here I’ll even say it one more time. I was wrong, doesn’t mean I won’t be confident in Highland in the future again.

Be confident, be proud but be respectful...any time you say your going to score on 60% of your possessions you are discounting the other team. 10 possessions not 9

I was wrong. Highland had their chances just didn’t finish on a few drives. I still think they had a very nice offense this year and just got overmatched by JCAs size up front.

I was hoping they would establish the run early so they could go over the top to Laporta. The very first series the opened with two incompletions. I believe two or three series stalled on the JCA side of the field. 2/5 scores the first half. And 1/4 the second half which includes a drive at the very end. So 3/9 like I said in the quoted message. I came back and congratulated JCA last night like I said I would. So whatever you have to tell yourself. Here I’ll even say it one more time. I was wrong, doesn’t mean I won’t be confident in Highland in the future again.

If you count highland taking a knee with 5 seconds left in the first half then 10. I told you I don’t count that. Probably shouldn’t count the last series that started with 1:30 left in the game either with back ups in. So how about 3/8

Yep no respect from you I see. I’m not a JCA fan but sure do respect them!

If you count highland taking a knee with 5 seconds left in the first half then 10. I told you I don’t count that. Probably shouldn’t count the last series that started with 1:30 left in the game either with back ups in. So how about 3/8

Either way I was wrong and you will just keep poking at it. I don’t think saying a team scores on 60% of their drives in a particular game is disrespectful when they are converting on a much higher rate for the entire season when the starters are in. So difference in opinion

And 0-1 against the Hilltoppers, granted it was awhile ago
Speaking of the only ever hilltopper-flyer meeting in 1996, this 2018 version of hilltoppers is eerily similar to the 1996 version....

1. 96 team was 3-3 and had to win last 3 to qualify. 2018 needed to beat nd week 9 to eek in.
2. Both teams adopted the refuse to lose mantra
3. Both teams seasons changed on subtle but important offensive adjustments. 96 got out of the double wing and put Randle at the back of the power I after 6 games of struggle. 2018 got away from the double wing and went with an I/split back hybrid with Hailey and Iannantone always in the backfield and never at wing with a few games left in regular season. So both seasons improved when they went to more downhill scheming.
4. Both teams unapologetically will run the ball 50 plus times a game.
5. 96 Randle finished with 2500 yards. Hailey is at 2300 and iannantone 1200 right now.
6. 96 ended the season in normal against MCHS (mt carmel). 2018 hopes to end in champaign, possibly against the other mchs, montini. If so, hopefully this result is different than 96. But first, Hillcrest....

Either way I was wrong and you will just keep poking at it. I don’t think saying a team scores on 60% of their drives in a particular game is disrespectful when they are converting on a much higher rate for the entire season when the starters are in. So difference in opinion
I think all your posts have been fine. You acknowledged your prediction was wrong and congratulated Joliet Catholic on the win. There is nothing ungentlemanly about that. We all make predictions on this site. That is part of the fun. And everyone who makes predictions realizes some, from time to time, will prove to be incorrect. Anyone taking exception to your posts is being overly sensitive.

All Southern Illinois football teams have to understand the reality of playing their best players both ways. It's almost impossible for 13-15 players to beat 30-35 players. That was evident once again Saturday night with Highland. I believe they had 7 players going both ways. One was their stud receiver that also played free safety. He must have ran an average of 40 yards at full speed every play. Then, he had to run back to the line of scrimmage and get ready to do it all over again. By the middle of the 3rd quarter a lot of the 2-way Highland players were beginning to run out of gas. The moral of the story is that the best players really don't have to be on the field for every play of the game.

Reactions: Gene K.
All Southern Illinois football teams have to understand the reality of playing their best players both ways. It's almost impossible for 13-15 players to beat 30-35 players. That was evident once again Saturday night with Highland. I believe they had 7 players going both ways. One was their stud receiver that also played free safety. He must have ran an average of 40 yards at full speed every play. Then, he had to run back to the line of scrimmage and get ready to do it all over again. By the middle of the 3rd quarter a lot of the 2-way Highland players were beginning to run out of gas. The moral of the story is that the best players really don't have to be on the field for every play of the game.
Unless you want to win the game and the decline in talent after your 15th or 16th player is very significant.

Unless you want to win the game and the decline in talent after your 15th or 16th player is very significant.
You really need to 2 platoon to be successful at the higher classes (>2 or 3A), OR at least put Very strong limits on a few 2-way players, so they don't run out of gas in the 2nd half.

Just my opinion :)

Yeah its hard to make that determination. The fall off could be very significant sometimes. Until you really get a program built and players stick around it is hard to have enough quality to two platoon. Highland is definitely on the right track to keep building the program up and retaining players from freshman to sophomore year and so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
You really need to 2 platoon to be successful at the higher classes (>2 or 3A), OR at least put Very strong limits on a few 2-way players, so they don't run out of gas in the 2nd half.

Just my opinion :)

I have seen a lot of 8A teams play multiple guys both ways in the past 3-4 years.

* usually more pronounced in the playoffs

* and if they doing it during the regular season the 2 way players get frequent breaks on one side of the ball or the other depending on player.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT