ADVERTISEMENT

ESL VS K3 thoughts?

To be fair I assumed student section.
If not that’s lame.
From this corner of the world and sight unseen, I m going to defend the over-rated cheer response by Kankakee fans.
They obviously have a great team, won all games before today and based on the halftime score gave it their all and were in the game into the second half before the likely state champs pulled away to win by four scores.
Here’s the thing. You root for your kids forever and then Week 12 comes up and you have a long road trip to play a two-loss team when you have no losses.
And of course, every Kankakee fan goes into the game knowing their favorite team is an enormous underdog and isn’t going to win.
Then you watch the first 27-28 minutes and your heart is racing and full of hope only to have the inevitable occur and the season come to an end by a team that by all rights could be a legit contender for the class 7a title and would have been the favorite in 5a but moved up to 6a intentionally to dominate against better competition.
In short, I m sure Kankakee fans were frustrated by an opponent that is that good on the field.
And when the super power fans decided legitimately to tweet the visitors with a late-game cheer, the frustrated Kankakee fans responded with a cheer you actually hear all the time at basketball games when the favored team with the star player is about to win but maybe the star player didn’t play an A level game.
Oooooover-raaated.
I m guessing that the Flyers were not perfect today but still good enough for a dominant win and the Kankakee fans’ cheer response is in effect saying that you won as expected but you didn’t look awesome like Loyola or Mt. Carmel always does.( side note: I m referring to our Mt. Carmel and not the Mt. Carmel that is steamrolling everybody in a small class downstate.)

Reactions: CIMRY90
From this corner of the world and sight unseen, I m going to defend the over-rated cheer response by Kankakee fans.
They obviously have a great team, won all games before today and based on the halftime score gave it their all and were in the game into the second half before the likely state champs pulled away to win by four scores.
Here’s the thing. You root for your kids forever and then Week 12 comes up and you have a long road trip to play a two-loss team when you have no losses.
And of course, every Kankakee fan goes into the game knowing their favorite team is an enormous underdog and isn’t going to win.
Then you watch the first 27-28 minutes and your heart is racing and full of hope only to have the inevitable occur and the season come to an end by a team that by all rights could be a legit contender for the class 7a title and would have been the favorite in 5a but moved up to 6a intentionally to dominate against better competition.
In short, I m sure Kankakee fans were frustrated by an opponent that is that good on the field.
And when the super power fans decided legitimately to tweet the visitors with a late-game cheer, the frustrated Kankakee fans responded with a cheer you actually hear all the time at basketball games when the favored team with the star player is about to win but maybe the star player didn’t play an A level game.
Oooooover-raaated.
I m guessing that the Flyers were not perfect today but still good enough for a dominant win and the Kankakee fans’ cheer response is in effect saying that you won as expected but you didn’t look awesome like Loyola or Mt. Carmel always does.( side note: I m referring to our Mt. Carmel and not the Mt. Carmel that is steamrolling everybody in a small class downstate.)
Kankakee was home.

Oooooover-raaated.
When Loyola won their 2nd rd game by 27, and mt carmel won a 1st rd game by 19, you think NV and St. Rita should have been chanting overrated?

Also, kankakee was at home so they didnt have a long road trip.

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
I have never heard an overrated chant by the losing team.

Flipside, the overrated chant has never made sense to me when a team pulls the upset. Why would you chant “overrated” and basically admit you only beat a team because they were overrated???
Or in this case...you beat us by 25 but you should have beat us by more??

When Loyola won their 2nd rd game by 27, and mt carmel won a 1st rd game by 19, you think NV and St. Rita should have been chanting overrated?

Also, kankakee was at home so they didnt have a long road trip.
I believe I read that the overrated chant came in response. I watched the Mt.Carmel vs. Carmel football game on the computer in which mundelein hung tough for about 28 minutes then faded to a deserved L.
That game, if the Mt. Carmel fans had started cheering in a poking fun way at the mundelein team I would have seen nothing wrong with the mundelein fans chanting that Mt. Carmel was over-rated.
That night they did not play like a national caliber team and I suspect today East St. Louis didn’t play like a national powerhouse team. That’s my guess based on an 18-13 third quarter score.
If East St. Louis fans wanted to shoot a cheer at the end that they eventually won by a big score, well they won!
I don’t have any problem with Kankakee fans responding by cheering something that was probably accurate today, that the Flyers didn’t play 48 minutes of dominating ball like you think a national powerhouse should.
Remember this was a response by Kankakee fans. They didn’t initiate the cheering.
I have heard that over-rated cheer for decades and in a RESPONSE to a cheer from a fan base to dominant team that was not totally dominant that day it just doesn’t seem out of line at all.
Remember the original poster said the over rated cheer was a response not the initial vocal shot across the field.

I believe I read that the overrated chant came in response. I watched the Mt.Carmel vs. Carmel football game on the computer in which mundelein hung tough for about 28 minutes then faded to a deserved L.
That game, if the Mt. Carmel fans had started cheering in a poking fun way at the mundelein team I would have seen nothing wrong with the mundelein fans chanting that Mt. Carmel was over-rated.
That night they did not play like a national caliber team and I suspect today East St. Louis didn’t play like a national powerhouse team. That’s my guess based on an 18-13 third quarter score.
If East St. Louis fans wanted to shoot a cheer at the end that they eventually won by a big score, well they won!
I don’t have any problem with Kankakee fans responding by cheering something that was probably accurate today, that the Flyers didn’t play 48 minutes of dominating ball like you think a national powerhouse should.
Remember this was a response by Kankakee fans. They didn’t initiate the cheering.
I have heard that over-rated cheer for decades and in a RESPONSE to a cheer from a fan base to dominant team that was not totally dominant that day it just doesn’t seem out of line at all.
Remember the original poster said the over rated cheer was a response not the initial vocal shot across the field.
My comment was about you saying mt carmel looks dominant every game, which by your critique of esl today, mt carmel looked "overrated" game 1 and so did loyola last week. ( i dont believe that to be true, just going by your scale of dominance)

I still stand by what i said earlier. I dont care if kankakee chanted overrated and im sure it didnt bother any esl fan driving back thinking about the W tonight. But its just weird to chant overrated to a team that beat you by 25 at home to end your season. What does that say about Kankakee and their team? That they thought they should have lost by 40?

My comment was about you saying mt carmel looks dominant every game, which by your critique of esl today, mt carmel looked "overrated" game 1 and so did loyola last week. ( i dont believe that to be true, just going by your scale of dominance)

I still stand by what i said earlier. I dont care if kankakee chanted overrated and im sure it didnt bother any esl fan driving back thinking about the W tonight. But its just weird to chant overrated to a team that beat you by 25 at home to end your season. What does that say about Kankakee and their team? That they thought they should have lost by 40?
You have to be smart enough to know this.
If next week Loyola puts up a 40-0 halftime lead and with second half a running clock the game ends 40-16 that’s a dominant effort by what is likely the best team on the state.
But if Ouoka leads 19-16 early in the fourth quarter and pulls away to win 40-16, that’s not dominant.
I watched on computer Joliet Catholic dominate Morris. 42-7. The. Hilltoppers most definitely did not look over-rated. And they still would not be over rated if Morris got two late scores and lost 42-23.
It’s how a team looks. In this game based solely on the score which was 18-13 in the second half I m guessing the Flyers didn’t look dominant throughout.
So I can understand Kankakee fans responding to a cheer poking fun at them with their over rated cheer.

I’m home now after driving 3-1/2 and I think that I should clear the air. We (ESL) were actually the ones chanting over-rated, after we also chanted good-bye.” The Kays fans were pretty quiet at that point.
There were Kankakee fans by Nick Cannon who were also chanting overrated late in the 4th qtr

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
It’s how a team looks. In this game based solely on the score
Im not sure you even realize what you are saying. Your whole premise is you are basing this on how a team looks while also admitting you didnt even watch esl today. But you are going to assume they werent dominant. Makes no sense.

Some would argue that having one rb have more rushing yards than your opponent had total yards is pretty dominant. And holding the opponents leading rusher to 20yds is dominant. Kankakee probably had 100ish yards of total offense and 45 came on one play.

• Love
Reactions: ODirty1
I started to tune away in the 3rd Q. Kank was hanging in there, but Flyers pulling away seemed inevitable. Flyers looked like they were absolutely determined to stop Phillips. I was a little surprised that Kankakee didn’t try to get more creative on offense.

I always wonder what’s the thought process of the refs and the opposing team when they penalize the s@&T out of East Side. In your honest heart of heart, do you truly believe your kids are that much more discipline than our kids?? For years and years we have been going mostly up North and having to play the refs and playoff quality teams yet by and large coming back with a “W.” Remember our kids are 15-16 yrs old just like yours are!

I always wonder what’s the thought process of the refs and the opposing team when they penalize the s@&T out of East Side. In your honest heart of heart, do you truly believe your kids are that much more discipline than our kids?? For years and years we have been going mostly up North and having to play the refs and playoff quality teams yet by and large coming back with a “W.” Remember our kids are 15-16 yrs old just like yours are!
Our kids aren’t kids in some of their minds. It’s ageless in theory and in practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT