ADVERTISEMENT

DOWNERS GROVE NORTH

DGN getting off to an fast start would seem to be especially important in this game.

Quite the load of bulletin board material for the DGN locker room in this thread!

MC is going to be a big favorite, but don't sleep on DGN. They're playing some really good football. They played one of the toughest schedules in the state. I like the Caravan next week, but any talk of a running clock is ridiculous.

Agree feeto
Never take your opponent lightly, especially when you’re in the final. You never know. Sometimes teams just match up better than you would expect. Expect a battle and play your best mistake free game! That should be all teams left goal.

Ain't no runnin clock next week ... DGN has no reason to get overly-hyped about us. It's not like Quincy (where the whole town was in a dither) or Batavia (and we know about that guy.) Too much emotion (or, in one case, revenge) can quickly backfire.

MC played both LA and ESL. That, alone, makes their schedule tougher.
Sorry two games doesn’t make a season. Plus Mt Carmel guys always claim that the caravan play a 6A schedule which is why they don’t petition up to 8A. MC did play a tough schedule but had a few easy teams too in both the regular season and playoffs. Probably slightly tougher than DGN but the Trojans definitely have been tested. MC is going to win but DGN has shown they are a worthy finalist.

Sorry two games doesn’t make a season. Plus Mt Carmel guys always claim that the caravan play a 6A schedule which is why they don’t petition up to 8A. MC did play a tough schedule but had a few easy teams too in both the regular season and playoffs. Probably slightly tougher than DGN but the Trojans definitely have been tested. MC is going to win but DGN has shown they are a worthy finalist.
FWIW, Calpreps, which is an objective measure, has MC’s SOS much harder than DGN - 36.4 to 22.4.

Reactions: TheWizardofWoodlawn
Only question will be if they allow the running clock to happen before halftime
This game will be reminiscent of 2015 Naz vs LWW when everyone had Naz dead in the water to the unstoppable running attach of Gabe and the LWW smothering defense. Result, 35-0 at the half and Naz played literally the entire roster before the midway point of the 4th quarter including freshmen!

Reactions: tuccs
This game will be reminiscent of 2015 Naz vs LWW when everyone had Naz dead in the water to the unstoppable running attach of Gabe and the LWW smothering defense. Result, 35-0 at the half and Naz played literally the entire roster before the midway point of the 4th quarter including freshmen!
Is that really your recollection of the prelude to that title game? I remember thinking "LWW has a real nice running back, but that team is lucky to be there and will likely get clobbered by Naz." I think most of the followers on Edgy and statewide thought the same thing.

I don't think 80 percent of people had any doubt how that game was going to play out. I know as humans we tend to build up past events as bigger than they actually were, but that Naz-LWW game was hyped up by maybe some LWW supporters and that is it. And even they never had Naz "dead in the water."

There was no David vs. Goliath narrative whatsoever. And had there been one, it would have been the inverse of what you are purporting to recall. And Goliath won as all the world assumed they would.

Last edited:
Is that really your recollection of the prelude to that title game? I remember thinking "LWW has a real nice running back, but that team is lucky to be there and will likely get clobbered by Naz." I think most of the followers on Edgy and statewide thought the same thing.

I don't think 80 percent of people had any doubt how that game was going to play out. I know as humans we tend to build up past events as bigger than they actually were, but that Naz-LWW game was hyped up by maybe some LWW supporters and that is it. And even they never had Naz "dead in the water."

There was no David vs. Goliath narrative whatsoever. And had there been one, it would have been the inverse of what you are purporting to recall. And Goliath won as all the world assumed they would.
JCHillman,

Yes exactly, there were a few LWW here but more so the LWW crowd on Twitter were very entertaining. Most respected both teams, and I believe that is prolly true now as well with MC/DGN fans. That said people saying the DGNschedule was even close to comparable or in a few cases better than is just silly.

7 teams MC played made the playoffs

5 made the quarterfinals

3 made the semifinals

2 are in the Title game

I’m saying they had more then a slightly harder schedule

I was asking you to show us the differences between the 4 schools since you brought it up.
Don't ask me, I didn't bring it up, but the comment is pretty straightforward. Top 4 SOS is pretty much as it reads: Top 4 SOS. What are you asking exactly? Were they 1, 2, 3 or 4?

Mt. Carmel - 36.4
WINS: #227 East St. Louis (IL) (36-33), #312 Batavia (IL) (64-26), #690 St. Rita (Chicago, IL) (39-10), #690 St. Rita (Chicago, IL) (38-7), #792 Brother Rice (Chicago, IL) (42-7), #1003 Carmel (Mundelein, IL) (37-16), #1131 Providence Catholic (New Lenox, IL) (43-9), #1172 Quincy (IL) (61-14), #1431 Prospect (Mt. Prospect, IL) (49-15), #1748 Fenwick (Oak Park, IL) (21-9), #1899 Morgan Park (Chicago, IL) (22-12), #3726 Notre Dame (Niles, IL) (35-0), LOSSES: #49 Loyola Academy (Wilmette, IL) (23-21)

Loyola - 31.9
WINS: #50 Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL) (23-21), #278 York (Elmhurst, IL) (23-14), #383 Catholic Central (Grand Rapids, MI) (45-7), #690 St. Rita (Chicago, IL) (21-5), #792 Brother Rice (Chicago, IL) (41-24), #847 Immaculate Conception (Elmhurst, IL) (47-0), #970 St. Ignatius (Chicago, IL) (41-7), #1286 Neuqua Valley (Naperville, IL) (33-6), #1281 Marist (Chicago, IL) (34-7), #2130 Naperville North (Naperville, IL) (27-6), #2938 Benet Academy (Lisle, IL) (41-7), #4351 Plainfield North (Plainfield, IL) (45-9), #4747 St. Patrick (Chicago, IL) (38-0), LOSSES: none

East St. Louis - 26.2
WINS: #122 St. Frances Academy (Baltimore, MD) (13-7), #443 Edwardsville (IL) (27-15), #1035 Washington (IL) (34-18), #1356 Kankakee (IL) (38-13), #1921 Belleville East (Belleville, IL) (48-0), #3355 Normal West (Normal, IL) (54-7), #3466 O'Fallon (IL) (54-13), #4341 Lemont (IL) (61-0), #7603 Alton (IL) (59-0), #7716 Belleville West (Belleville, IL) (63-0), LOSSES: #46 Atascocita (Humble, TX) (43-13), #50 Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL) (36-33)

Lincoln Way East - 22.9
WINS: #312 Batavia (IL) (14-13), #632 Barrington (IL) (49-6), #995 Warren Township (Gurnee, IL) (24-0), #1286 Neuqua Valley (Naperville, IL) (35-7), #1955 Minooka (IL) (28-0), #2202 Bradley-Bourbonnais (Bradley, IL) (27-3), #2275 Homewood-Flossmoor (Flossmoor, IL) (32-6), #2652 Sandburg [Carl] (Orland Park, IL) (42-14), #2651 Kenwood (Chicago, IL) (52-12), #2654 Lockport (IL) (41-0), #3118 Bolingbrook (IL) (20-0), #4949 Andrew [Victor J.] (Tinley Park, IL) (49-7), #7010 Taft (Chicago, IL) (56-0), LOSSES: none

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT