ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 12

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
Two Saturday afternoon home games for the remaining CS8 teams with temperatures expected to be in the mid to high 50's. Not quite as nice as last week but still great for this time of year.

2PM #2 Washington (10-1) at #6 Chatham (8-3)
Washington gave up 27 points in Week 1 to Kaneland and then has surrendered only 67 the rest of the season. They have held 8 teams to fewer than 10 points, including a 21-0 shutout of a usually dangerous Crete Monee last week. Crete ended Chatham's season in both the 2018 and 2021 playoffs. The Panthers only loss was 7-3 in Week 2 to Kankakee, who plays East St Louis in the other part of the southern 6A bracket. There is one common opponent: Chatham beat Danville 14-12 in Week 1, while Washington won 59-14 in Week 10. I expect Washington to have a physical run-first offense, but no individual stats are available on Max Preps. After some ups and downs during the regular season, the Titans offense is on fire, scoring 63 and 52 points the last two weeks. Sophomore QB Colton Knoedler is closing in on 30 TD's for the season, with 11 so far in the playoffs. Last week, Chatham won a 52-51 overtime thriller on the road at Oak Lawn Richards by relying almost entirely on passing. It's very doubtful the Titans will win this week if they give up 51 points, or anything close to it. Expect a loud home crowd to give the Titans an early emotional boost. However, this matchup reminds me of the 1997 quarterfinal contest between a rising but young Chatham team against an established Metamora. It was close for a half before Metamora pulled away decisively 58-26. The Titans undersized defense is going to have trouble keeping the Panthers out of the end zone. The offense, though effective, will struggle to match Washington score for score. Washington 46 Chatham 21 (Cal Preps projection: 35-19 Washington)

4 PM #4 Breese Central (9-2) at #1 Rochester (11-0)
This is a rematch of the 2nd round playoff game last year, which Rochester won 42-0. Breese Central's two losses are to 5A Highland 35-14 in Week 1 and 3A Roxana 52-28 in Week 7. Both those teams are still alive in the playoffs. The Cougars beat three playoff teams during the regular season and own wins over Cahokia (19-2) and Mt Zion (16-13) in the playoffs. That's back-to-back impressive performances by the Breese Central defense against two pretty good offenses. The Cougars have a QB who has thrown for over 1,700 yards and 24 TD's, two running backs with over 500 yards rushing, and a WR with around 800 yards receiving and 10 TD's. The Rockets are hoping for a cleaner performance by their offense this week. Against Coal City, the offense had three first half turnovers, including losing a fumble on the first play of the game. The defense responded as it has all season by only allowing a field goal on the Coalers first drive and forcing two turnovers. One interception was returned for a TD by DB Mason Jacobs. Bryan Zulauf and Parker Gillespie have been splitting snaps at QB since Gillespie returned from an injury for the first time in Week 8. With Gillespie out much of the season, Henry Buecker has really developed at WR. He had three TD's and multiple big plays last week. Rochester 45 Breese 13 (Cal Preps projection: 42-14 Rochester)

Last edited:
I'm strongly considering taking advantage of the nice weather and attending both games. I'll stick with CG game as long as it is competitive or until start of RHS/BC game.

I know Rochester is accepting cash. Does anyone know what CG is doing for tickets?

State Journal Register Staff Predictions
Wahington 28 Chatham 21
Rochester 56 Breese Central 7

Reactions: cigaros
Rochester rolls by easy running clock.

Interesting matchup between Washington and Glenwood, expecting Washington to win based on the common opponent Danville and the fact Glenwood has lost quite a bit due to injuries. Admittedly I am going to pull for the Titans, but even if they pull off this upset they will face a dystopian town with mixed up priorities in the semifinals for a quick defeat.

South County Weekly Mr. Pick'em Predictions
Washington 23 Chatham 17
Rochester 45 Breese Central 13

I'm strongly considering taking advantage of the nice weather and attending both games. I'll stick with CG game as long as it is competitive or until start of RHS/BC game.

I know Rochester is accepting cash. Does anyone know what CG is doing for tickets?
You can do either cash or Go Fan for the Chatham game. Same prices as Rochester.

Reactions: net-se and CIMRY90
Should have mentioned that Darrell Crouch, who has coached Washington since 2005, is leaving at the end of the season. A little extra motivation for the Panthers to try to extend their playoff run. According to the IHSA site, Crouch's record at Washington is an impressive 155-53.

i texted coach hay yesterday. there will be tickets for sale at the game.

Finals
Washington 59 Chatham 16. After falling behind 21-0 in the first half, Chatham got within 28-10 at half. Washington then ran away with it in the 2nd half. The Panthers will now have the difficult task of facing East St Louis in the semifinals next week. Chatham had a nice run in the playoffs, with a lot of underclassmen getting three extra weeks of football. They will have a very dangerous offense in '24, returning their QB and top 4 receivers. If they can put together a stronger defense, the Titans will be a force in the CS8 next season.

Rochester 49 Breese Central 13. Bryan Zulauf ran for four TD's and threw for one. Nolan Mrozowski and Parker Gillespie also ran for TD's, and Henry Buecker had an 85-yard TD reception. The offense still is committing too many penalties for Week 12, with several long runs called back on holding or blocking in the back calls. The first team defense was very good again, forcing 2 turnovers and only allowing a single score. Next week will be a road trip to Murphysboro, who won over Harrisburg 25-20 on the last play of the game. Rochester and Murphysboro have played once before in the 2nd round of the 2015 playoffs with the Rockets coming out on top.

Finals
The Panthers will now have the difficult task of facing East St Louis in the semifinals next week.
washington was in man or man free coverage the ENTIRE game. i don't think they'll be able to do that next week.

offense was old school run. the majority of the game they were double tight i formation. they even ran some wishbone.

Chatham had a nice run in the playoffs, with a lot of underclassmen getting three extra weeks of football. They will have a very dangerous offense in '24, returning their QB and top 4 receivers. If they can put together a stronger defense, the Titans will be a force in the CS8 next season.
the offense shot themselves in the foot yesterday. a pick 6 and a scoop and score for the panthers. chatham had at least 3 unforced fumbles.

good season to chatham.

Reactions: rocketnation
washington was in man or man free coverage the ENTIRE game. i don't think they'll be able to do that next week.

offense was old school run. the majority of the game they were double tight i formation. they even ran some wishbone.

the offense shot themselves in the foot yesterday. a pick 6 and a scoop and score for the panthers. chatham had at least 3 unforced fumbles.

good season to chatham.
All....Arrived for the second half of the game. (it's free then lol ) McQueary #2 the Panther rb was very impressive. I watched him at times on the sideline. Always by himself with no one around as focused as I have ever seen a player be in a big game. Old school offense for sure Coach. Refreshing as opposed to the throw it all over the yard offenses of today. Nice talking with you as well. Ratsy

Reactions: net-se
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT