ADVERTISEMENT

CCL/ESCC 2023 storylines

pjjp

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
What are some of the interesting story lines in the CCL/ESCC for 2023? Here's a few:

How will realignment play out? Since it's based on past results, there could be some inequities. Will JCA and Ignatius be able to sustain the success of some of their previous teams that placed them in the Green? Provi and Naz seem primed for nice runs and don't have to deal with getting moved up in division class. Will Montini be able to get to 5 wins after two 3-6 seasons?

How will IC and St. Francis fare this year? This will be a vastly different experience for both schools. Gone are the days of cruising through the regular season. Attrition will now be a concern like it is for other lower enrollment schools in the conference.

How will the two new head coaches in the Blue (Hopkins at Rita and Desherow at LA) fare? Jordan Lynch is now the longest tenured HC in the Blue.

Is this the year Jason McKie and Carmel step up? The schedule is tough with Crete, Lake Forest, MC, Provi and ND. But, the Corsairs have some nice talent.

Hope I'm wrong but I don't see CCHS stepping up, especially with the schedule they have. I went to one of their games last year, the playoff blowout to Sycamore, it looked like men against boys, they have a ways to go.

What are some of the interesting story lines in the CCL/ESCC for 2023? Here's a few:

How will realignment play out? Since it's based on past results, there could be some inequities. Will JCA and Ignatius be able to sustain the success of some of their previous teams that placed them in the Green? Provi and Naz seem primed for nice runs and don't have to deal with getting moved up in division class. Will Montini be able to get to 5 wins after two 3-6 seasons?

How will IC and St. Francis fare this year? This will be a vastly different experience for both schools. Gone are the days of cruising through the regular season. Attrition will now be a concern like it is for other lower enrollment schools in the conference.

How will the two new head coaches in the Blue (Hopkins at Rita and Desherow at LA) fare? Jordan Lynch is now the longest tenured HC in the Blue.

Is this the year Jason McKie and Carmel step up? The schedule is tough with Crete, Lake Forest, MC, Provi and ND. But, the Corsairs have some nice talent.
I am really intrigued by some of the early non-conference games: MC-Flyer, BR-Maine South, Marist-GW (I was at the game last year), DGN-WSF and York-Naz. Lots of great crossovers also within the league. Also, very intrigued by IC playing LA, Marist etc. Will they be primed for 4A or banged up from the grind of the schedule.

Reactions: pjjp
I am really intrigued by some of the early non-conference games: MC-Flyer, BR-Maine South, Marist-GW (I was at the game last year), DGN-WSF and York-Naz. Lots of great crossovers also within the league. Also, very intrigued by IC playing LA, Marist etc. Will they be primed for 4A or banged up from the grind of the schedule.
Dean
Your back! Not intrigued with LWE first game?

I still say IC got screwed with that schedule. Just read they have 35 kids on their varsity roster. And they are playing the likes of Marist and Loyola? And IHSA.org still does not have a week 2 game for them, so they apparently only have 8 chances at 5 wins.

I still say IC got screwed with that schedule. Just read they have 35 kids on their varsity roster. And they are playing the likes of Marist and Loyola? And IHSA.org still does not have a week 2 game for them, so they apparently only have 8 chances at 5 wins.
Comon 35 kids on the varsity lol? Who puts out this garbage?? Anyone who saw them play last yr knows they have a lot more than 35 varsity players.

Edit: And yes, I understand they apparently dress freshman for Friday nights even if they aren’t on the football team nor attend the school. :)

The schedule will definitely be a challenge, but I think IC has enough to make playoffs and make a deep run in postseason.

Great topic!

Rita-related: Coach Hopkins and the potential changes he'll be implementing, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Defense has been doing quite well as of late. I hope MH can keep it going.

Who wins the top division MC or LA? That's an obvious and annual storyline.

Providence. Edgy has them rated high. Edgy knows his stuff. I am curious to see if PC is the real deal? With their schedule, PC can get to 8 - 1, assuming a loss to MC. Looking ahead: PC is in 6A. PC will definitely be in ESL's southern bracket. If Rita makes the playoffs, we might have SR-ESL-PC in one bracket.

Comon 35 kids on the varsity lol? Who puts out this garbage?? Anyone who saw them play last yr knows they have a lot more than 35 varsity players.

Edit: And yes, I understand they apparently dress freshman for Friday nights even if they aren’t on the football team nor attend the school. :)

The schedule will definitely be a challenge, but I think IC has enough to make playoffs and make a deep run in postseason.
That’s the varsity roster, sure they dress FR but the varsity roster is around 35….SFHS has about the same roster size.

About 120 boys in the entire school, all grades. So, 35 is a good number
What is the percent of boys that play football? Has to be incredible. Not a knock on ICCP btw, I love what the program’s done and hope they win 4A this yr.

Can someone explain how the realignment works?

Green for example, Marist moves down from the Blue, NND stays put, JCA up from the Orange and Ignatius up from the White. Which is higher the Orange or the White?

Green for example, Marist moves down from the Blue, NND stays put, JCA up from the Orange and Ignatius up from the White. Which is higher the Orange or the White?
C-Bones,

I think after two years of play, whichever team averaged last place goes down to the next color. Whichever team averaged first place in their respective color moves up to the next color.

For example, Rita averaged 1st place in the Green, while Marist averaged last place in the Blue. Since Green is right below Blue, Cascia moved up to Blue while last place Blue Marist moved down to Green.

I believe that's how the league does it. The teams who always average 2nd and 3rd place, seems to stay put.

I think this is the way. Can someone elaborate if I'm off?

Reactions: Cross Bones
C-Bones,

I think after two years of play, whichever team averaged last place goes down to the next color. Whichever team averaged first place in their respective color moves up to the next color.

For example, Rita averaged 1st place in the Green, while Marist averaged last place in the Blue. Since Green is right below Blue, Cascia moved up to Blue while last place Blue Marist moved down to Green.

I believe that's how the league does it. The teams who always average 2nd and 3rd place, seems to stay put.

That makes sense, but I was trying to make sense of Orange and White since both had teams move up to Green.

C-Bones,

But for this cycle didn’t they not do that cause of IC and SF being added? I could be totally wrong.

There is a formula applied that consists of conference record, male enrollment, and football participation and has the promotion/demotion feature every 2 seasons. Although I think they will take a look at things after this season with the new alignment and not after '24.

Part of it was balancing the conferences. The other part is trying to qualify the most amount of teams for the playoffs. By going with such small conferences the conference winner does not automatically qualify for the playoffs. But they will qualify with wins. If you are the weakest team in a conference and lose all three conference games you will still make the playoffs if you win the two non cons and three of the cross overs. It gets you battle tested for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: stl705
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT