ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Kelly to LSU

If they were to leave the ACC, they really would have to go independent because my understanding of their deal with the ACC is that, for the next 15 years, the only conference they can join fully in football is the ACC. Are they able to leave the ACC if they go independent and remain so through 2036? I assume there is some kind of opt out payment they would have to make if they were to go independent...and a much larger payment if they were to leave the ACC and join another conference.
ramblinman:

I am not familiar with the idiosyncrasies and nuances of Notre Dame's compact with the ACC. However, I do know ND retreating from conference would compel a substantial cash penalty be paid to the ACC.

A classmate of mine worked in ND's development officer for many years before moving into charitable giving with a Fortune 500 firm in Chicago. From what he told me several years ago, in the ACC's view, the appeal of having ND affiliated with the ACC was the additional exposure on NBC. I don't know if this still is relevant now the ACC has its own network, but I can imagine even today, two years after the ACCN was created, the ACC could stand to lose some revenue if ND exited.

Should ND decide to leave the ACC, I do not know if the accord with the conference places any prohibition on ND joining another. The Big-10 would seem to be the only logical destination for ND. Nevertheless, I think the Big-10 declining to consider ND's overtures to join the league decades ago and in the modern era ND's reluctance to join the Big-10 has essentially cut off any avenue for ND to have a place in the league.

As I mentioned before, I would prefer ND abandon the ACC and fully remain an Independent.

Reactions: Autumnball
Am I the only guy that has a sneaking suspicion that regardless if Alabama loses the powers-that-be will find a way to include them in the playoff and if somehow Iowa defeats Michigan, they will slide in Ohio State?

Am I the only guy that has a sneaking suspicion that regardless if Alabama loses the powers-that-be will find a way to include them in the playoff and if somehow Iowa defeats Michigan, they will slide in Ohio State?
If Bama loses a close game then maybe but no chance for the buckeyes. The issue they then have is where do they seed Bama. Realistically they would have to be 4 but I can’t see them having an SEC title rematch in the semifinals

If Bama loses a close game then maybe but no chance for the buckeyes. The issue they then have is where do they seed Bama. Realistically they would have to be 4 but I can’t see them having an SEC title rematch in the semifinals
Also Oregon is a really bad loss for the Buckeyes after the Ducks lost to Stanford and twice in 3 weeks to Utah.

Pistol Pete v UGA in a semi is likely to be a Bulldog blowout, but it could also be a defensive snooze fest. That might influence some votes against OkState.

Pistol Pete v UGA in a semi is likely to be a Bulldog blowout, but it could also be a defensive snooze fest. That might influence some votes against OkState.
Most of the playoff semifinals have been one sided. A few have been close but that has been rare. Wouldn’t expect it to be different this year with the level of play from the dawgs

Embarrassing. Even back in his Cincinnati days he had “snake oil salesman” written all over him. I rooted against him before, and this only enhances my enthusiasm against him. Addition by way of subtraction for Notre Dame.

I don’t care for Norte Dame but I think they got a good HC in Freeman. You can all talk about Kelly all you want but his record at ND can not be denied. He has more wins at ND than any coach in ND history. You may not like him but he is a good coach that wanted to go to the SEC. I think he will do well at LSU.

Reactions: stl705
bama is out if they get beat soundly. But if they lose in an epic struggle, I think it is fair to call them one of the top four. Could even see that being a semi rematch. But if they lose and it’s not particularly dramatic or close, then bama has to be out. Ohio state out for sure.

I don’t care for Norte Dame but I think they got a good HC in Freeman. You can all talk about Kelly all you want but his record at ND can not be denied. He has more wins at ND than any coach in ND history. You may not like him but he is a good coach that wanted to go to the SEC. I think he will do well at LSU.
It’s not his record or coaching ability that’s in question here, it’s his character. I know wins and losses matter more to many than integrity and character, but to me it doesn’t. I hope he fails miserably at LSU.

Reactions: NDSox and PowerI66
It’s not his record or coaching ability that’s in question here, it’s his character. I know wins and losses matter more to many than integrity and character, but to me it doesn’t. I hope he fails miserably at LSU.
Their are a lot of coaches that have questionable character. Your questioning his character then what’s that say about ND? They looked the other way what’s that say about the integrity of the administration? I am only looking at it from a coaching standpoint. LSU potentially got a really good coach with questionable character who had more wins at ND than any other coach. I can name a bunch of coaches that have questionable character.

Their are a lot of coaches that have questionable character. Your questioning his character then what’s that say about ND? They looked the other way what’s that say about the integrity of the administration? I am only looking at it from a coaching standpoint. LSU potentially got a really good coach with questionable character who had more wins at ND than any other coach. I can name a bunch of coaches that have questionable character.
I won't speak for @Crispy Linnetta , but that's the point I believe we have been making I. This thread all along. ND doesn't show any of their alleged values when it comes to the football program. Up to admin and down to their handling of student athletes. You say you can name coaches that have a questionable character? So name them, they shouldn't be in charge of leading young men either.

Reactions: Gene K.
I won't speak for @Crispy Linnetta , but that's the point I believe we have been making I. This thread all along. ND doesn't show any of their alleged values when it comes to the football program. Up to admin and down to their handling of student athletes. You say you can name coaches that have a questionable character? So name them, they shouldn't be in charge of leading

I could name some but I am not going to that would question my character. I am sure you have seen them in the news for something they have done that questions their character. One is now an NFL coach.

I could name some but I am not going to that would question my character. I am sure you have seen them in the news for something they have done that questions their character. One is now an NFL coach.
How would that question your character?

Way to take the high road Corey. Leave it to us men with less character to call out the coaches with questionable ethics and tactics….lmao.
Lol
You guys are all good from what I can see. Hey like you said maybe karma will come back at Kelly and maybe he fails miserably at LSU? Never know. 😂

What a stupid article I guess Brian Kelly can add solving racism and poverty to his list of things to fix in Baton Rouge along with winning a National title.
Agree 100%. This article is plain and simple dumb. How is all this Brian Kelly’s problem? He was hired to coach and win football games not to save the people in poverty or solve all the other problems LSU may have. Dumb freaking article. Kelly might have to rethink why he left ND. If Temple is so concerned how he talks to people why did they hire him? Sounds like a guy who is a micro manager. I don’t like micro mangers. My belief is if you hire a manager/coach let them do their job. If you don’t like the job their doing then get a different manager or coach. Sounds like Temple already doesn’t trust Kelly. This type of stuff should of already been vetted before he was offered the coaching job!

What an embarrassment of an article. I actually feel dumber for reading all of it.

The dude they highlight as a victim got a girl pregnant and then marriered her, divorced her, pregnant again and then remarried her… and then divorced her yet again.

Tried to run for political office and failed miserably. He’s a Democrat and tried to run as a republican to trick people into voting for him.

In and out of jail for drugs.

Dude is quoted with using course language in an article. He made the university look horrible because what university hires someone like this? Good luck getting a promotion at LSU after taking part in this ridiculous article and embarrassing your employer.

He’s a loser and somehow it’s unfair that Kelly is making 10m and he’s only making 12k? LSU football brings in around 100m to the university….how much does this dude bring in?

As much as I dislike Kelly I respect the hell out of him bc nothing has ever been given to him. He’s EARNED everything. He came from nowhere (played club football at Assumption). Coached 20 years at the D2 level before getting into D1. He’s one of the very few to come from the small school ranks and now is at the pinnacle of the sport.

The article should have been on that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT