ADVERTISEMENT

7 on 7's this summer

From that point the controversy escalated because one contributor to this board has the unpleasant habit of denigrating in exceedingly harsh terms any views and opinions from fellow posters with which he disagrees. He uses words such as asinine, dumb and moronic which, even if technically they are directed at the comments, have the unfortunate effect of disparaging the fellow poster himself (the author of the comments). It reflects a remarkable lack of class and I'm grateful there are very few contributors to this message board that display that kind of conduct.
Your entire post was spot on. Having an opinion on a HS football blog should not be the basis for others posters to use derogatory terms and name calling about any other poster. Period. Colin had his opinion and he was blasted for that opinion. I was concerned that others where putting "ulterior motives" in his opinion rather than taking it for a simple opinion. I thought that's what the free board was for, "opinions".

How many days/hours have ESL coaches spent with their charges this summer? How many shared meals? How many conversations?

My GUESS - this is only speculation - is that the ESL coaching staff have spend more time/effort with their young men than any other program in the state.
Although I get and respect where your coming from,I doubt it in all seriousness. I know LWE coaches spend a ton of time with their players. It’s ingrained in how they go about their business and building their culture. I am sure all the other top programs are very similar. You don’t get the success without putting in the time personally getting to know your players and team. Believe me that is a lot of personal time. That said I get where your coming from. 😊

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Your entire post was spot on. Having an opinion on a HS football blog should not be the basis for others posters to use derogatory terms and name calling about any other poster. Period. Colin had his opinion and he was blasted for that opinion. I was concerned that others where putting "ulterior motives" in his opinion rather than taking it for a simple opinion. I thought that's what the free board was for, "opinions".
Gene I think he struck a nerve when he used the word underachieved. I don’t think he should of used that word when describing ESL losing to CG. In my opinion it puts ESL down and comes across that CG was an inferior team that got lucky. We all watched that game and they were not lucky. So in essence he kinda put both teams down. Again it’s my opinion on how it read and how it was worded. 😊

Although I get and respect where your coming from,I doubt it in all seriousness. I know LWE coaches spend a ton of time with their players. It’s ingrained in how they go about their business and building their culture. I am sure all the other top programs are very similar. You don’t get the success without putting in the time personally getting to know your players and team. Believe me that is a lot of personal time. That said I get where your coming from. 😊
Totally get what you're saying - but EastSide took three bus trips to and from Arkansas, LSU and Ole Miss. (How many farts those coaches endured on that bus ,,, ) That's morning, noon and evening meals added on top of that.

That's all I meant. Not that they do more, despite doing them .... doing more.

Gene I think he struck a nerve when he used the word underachieved. I don’t think he should of used that word when describing ESL losing to CG. In my opinion it puts ESL down and comes across that CG was an inferior team that got lucky. We all watched that game and they were not lucky. So in essence he kinda put both teams down. Again it’s my opinion on how it read and how it was worded. 😊
That poster isn't concerned with the issue, he's more concerned with providing cover (a hood if you will) for like minded individuals. The hit dog is the one that yelps.

he's more concerned with providing cover (a hood if you will) for like minded individuals. The hit dog is the one that yelps.
I guess Colin and any one who thinks his post was simply an honest and open opinion now wear hoods. Most of us know what that is supposed to infer. That comment is despicable and totally inappropriate for a generally civil HS football blog.

FWIW - when I say a team underachieved, at the HS level it is solely directed at the adults running the teams. The higher levels the more the players come into accountability.

Big reason why I’m a Derek Leonard fan. He’s teams always reach their full potential.
There are several other groups as well. I do think it’s a bit silly to say every team reaches their potential. Perhaps it’s just a topic that shouldn’t be addressed and I’m good with that.
Smh.

My Take on the West Aurora 7 v 7. @EdgyTim Attended the West Aurora 7 v 7 yesterday morning. Teams competing were Wheaton North, Neuqua Valley, Benet and WA.

Here are the players that stood out to me:

Wheaton North-Joe Barna WR/TE (Super Athletic type went deep a couple of times and has a nose for the ball) & Karsten Libby WR (Super Aggressive who started for State Championship team last year and caught a ton of passes yesterday) And watch out for Ross Dansdill at LB. I didn't see him there, but he will anchor what will be a very good D for the Falcons. Watch for the Falcons to make another run this year.

West Aurora-Derrion Jordan-RB (I think that's his name, but he looks so fast and athletic. He Caught a bunch of passes from the backfield and surprised me with his apparent talent) Their QB looked to have a good arm and WA looked way better than I thought they would.

Benet-Anthony Picciolini -QB (Was sharp and has a big arm.) & Pierce Walsh-WR/TE (I think it was him, but he looks the D1 part, but is a huge target and talent is next level.)

Neuqua Valley-Mark Mennecke-QB (The lefty gunslinger was excellent as usual and can make any throw around the field. Carter Stare-WR (Probably the quickest player at the event. What he lacks in stature, (He's 5-6/7) he makes up for in speed, quickness and catching ability.). NV also picked up another WR from Texas who looks like a stud. Don't know his name. NV is primed to make a run this year with more talent than anyone in the DVC.

Lots of talent within these 4 teams. My prediction is that at least 3 of these 4 are playoff teams. (Not just based on this comp)

Last edited:
IMO 7on7 is only a valuable tool only if appropriately coached. Too many of these 7on7 teams care more about clout than properly teaching kids, that it actually hurts the athlete practicing shitty technique. This also goes for 7on7s that high school teams host, I see horribly coached teams hooting and hollering when their DBs are tackling a Wr on the snap of the ball because they are "pressing" with no pads on. Qbs take one-step drops on post routes and hitch 5-6 times before throwing the ball (unrealistic) etc... Then coaches are hyped when they do something good but aren't practicing good technique and realistic things. I love the competitive nature of 7on7 it's always good to compete, but doing it properly is how you get better, doing it improperly doesn't help the athlete or the team at all, I went to the Naperville North 7on7 in June, you can tell what teams cared about actually teaching kids and getting realistic game reps and which teams thought the state championship was won in June.
You hit the nail on the head. I will take it a step further and mention that some schools are playing to win while others are running plays they might run in actual football games.

I watched several games where teams dropped all 7 into coverage while the opposing team was running play action and faking jet sweeps. Which team was playing to win and which team was working on timing? On the flip side the team that dropped 7 into coverage was running 5 wide routes downfield while the opponent was “fake” blitzing and taking a knee after they hit the LOS.

I suppose both teams won that night as one got reps doing what they will do this fall while the other eeked out a 7v7 “win” doing things they won’t do this fall.

Reactions: illinifan67
shg won the mccracken county 7on7 beating st. mary's from stl. mo for the championship.
Crown’em! SHG is LOADED! Good luck this year!

Also it’s July boys. Calm it down!! Save it for November! We don’t need the board shut down before the season even starts.

Reactions: Gene K.
sometimes the Better team doesn’t win.

Tennessee baseball this year
Yankees this year (if they don’t win it, it’s be underachieving)
Patriots going 16-0 and not winning the SB
Bama getting blown out by Clemson in the title (underachieved in the big game)

We’ve had threads on here before of the most underacheiving teams. Geneva comes to mind (turned it around now).
I live in Knoxville now.Not a huge Vols baseball fan but I told these people Notre Dame was going to take them out & did.The 109 win Mariners(something like that) also choked & the NHL Panthers which brought back painful memories when the Blackhawks were the best in hockey & the sub .500 by far North Stars punked them out in the early playoffs

Reactions: colin2229
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT