ADVERTISEMENT

31 Years Ago Today - Reverse the Curse

Wassup13

Nov 9, 2002
31 years ago today, Chicago Cubs fans. Let's stop butting heads over this--let me in! #ReverseTheCurse

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v13062875/84-nlcs-gm-5-chcsd-error-helps-padres

Through Durham's legs
sacore:balloon_safe_annotation.png

'84 NLCS, Gm 5 CHC@SD: Leon Durham's error draws the Padres even and Tony Gwynn's double drives in two for the club's first pennant

-Billy Goat Tavern

https://twitter.com/Cheezborger

======

I know it's not HS football, but it's another huge moment in Chicago sports history beginning tonight!

Last edited:
This is a HS football forum, not a "How many ways can you lose in a 100+ years? Forum"

The last time the Cubs won the World Series was in 1908 which is 107 years ago from today's date. (10/7/15)

The Steve Bartman incident was 10/14/03.

Famous & popular ex-Cub Bill Buckner had a ground ball go through his legs which lost the 1986 World Series to the Mets. At the time Bill Buckner was wearing Chicago Cubs batting glove while playing 1st base.

Let's hope there are no ground balls to 1st base from the 7th inning on tonight.

Last edited:
I hope Gerritt Cole wipes his brow, grabs the Rosin bag, takes a deep breath and delivers that first pitch at 7:09.

I figured the annoying Cubbie crap would end with this management, coaching staff and group of talented players. But we have competitive eaters devouring goat meat, a Delorean parked at Harry Caray's and now the time thing. Same old garbage.

ENOUGH!

Can we just let two 97+ win teams play a game without media, fans, opposing fans ect pounding some false narrative? Let them play and lets see what happens....

Why all the celebration spilling into the streets/fireworks?

It was just one playoff win. There are still 8 teams left that can win a world series.

Ridiculous and embarrassing.

Reactions: Prep writer
I was going to say act like you've been there before but you haven't...

The last time the Cubs won the World Series was in 1908 which is 107 years ago from today's date. (10/7/15)

Famous & popular ex-Cub Bill Buckner had a ground ball go through his legs which lost the 1986 World Series to the Mets. At the time Bill Buckner was wearing Chicago Cubs batting glove while playing 1st base.

Let's hope there are no ground balls to 1st base from the 7th inning on tonight.

No, Buckner's error did not lose the WS. It was game 6. It may have contributed, but the Red Sox still had game 7.

Moises Alou would never have caught that foul ball that Steve Bartman has been unfairly blamed for. The Cub pitcher and short stop imploded and the strangle ensued.

The coverage of this year's Cubs by local TV news is embarrassing. Channel 7 especially. They actually had a helicopter flying over Clark and Addison to watch the crowd that formed to be covered on television.

The expression "Cubbies" is demeaning. Why not call them puppies or kittens?

I attended the Hawks opener Weds night. There were ticket holding young men missing the game so they could watch the Cubs on TV monitors at the 3rd deck bar. Pathetic.

The Cubs are a breath of fresh air.I wish the Chi Sox were there with them as I love em both.The Cubs are better news than the strikes costing teams football games & the daily stupid & senseless shootings in Chicago & the rest of the country

Oldfan123
I agree with you. Cubs in the playoffs is good for baseball. 107 years let the fans celebrate it is a big deal.if your a Cub fan. Some of the post above sound like sour grapes. Cubs win with shut out.

McNally's had 15 bucks all u can drink last night. spirited crowd. All cub playoff games same thing and free drinks every opposing team home run.

I will be the first one here to go on record saying the Cubs will win the 2015 World Series. On opening day I figured this team would win anywhere from 85 to 87 games and that would have been considered a good season. BUT, I was wrong. This is a very good team. The fact is, they have been playing better than any team in baseball for quite some time now and I don't see that changing.

The White Sox, on the other hand, were awful and BORING to watch. Only thing worse than watching a team lose over and over again is watching a team that is boring while doing so. Harrelson sucks, Farmer sucks and Ventura sucks. All will be back next season. Go figure. That is an organization that is not interested in winning. Reinsdorf has to go. Sell the team Jerry and get out of town.

The Cubs will eliminate the Cardinals in four games. Then they will play the Dodgers and eliminate them in five. Finally, they will get to the World Series and the Royals who they will beat in seven games.

Over a month ago I predicted the Cubs and Royals in the World Series to a buddy of mine in Kansas City.

I am by no means a Cub fan, but this is, right now, the best team in baseball. It's theirs to win. Enjoy it Cub fans. I'll be watching.

Only thing I'm interested in is when do the Cubs management or Cub fans invite Steve Bartman back to the house?

He's one of your own fans and was treated like ??it. This is where I have a problem with the Cubs. If it happens during the Cardinal series then I will respect the Cubs again and talk baseball again but if they wait until they win the World Series or the parade, then I have no respect for the organization.

Invite Bartman to throw out the first pitch to Moises Alou and a Skybox beginning in the Cards series and give him anything he wants including a Harry Carey fishnet to catch baseballs. It's time to forgive Cubs fans.

Last edited:
Arrietta can only pitch game 3 vs StL. Then in a best of 7 vs Dodgers theyd have to face Kershaw and Greinke 4 games. Momentum is the next games starting pitcher.

Arrietta can only pitch game 3 vs StL. Then in a best of 7 vs Dodgers theyd have to face Kershaw and Greinke 4 games. Momentum is the next games starting pitcher.
The Cubs have now won 98 games and Arietta is responsible for only 23 of them. They have other pitchers who can beat both of those teams. My main point is based on how the team has been playing for a long time now. Am I the one going out on a limb here?

And by the way, Kershaw is going to have to prove he can pitch in post season because he has been awful. Greinke has been very beatable in post season too. He is 2-2 with a 3.63 ERA. I am not a big fan of his but Lester has pitched well in post season. He is 6-4 with a 2.57 ERA. He is the key in my opinion when it comes to starting pitching. Actually I think he has pitched pretty well most of the season and at times hasn't gotten run support.

And the real issue isn't in the starting pitching as much as it is in the back end. Yes the Cubs are vulnerable there, but if the back end holds up, no one is going to beat this team.

Last edited:
Not directed at you. You have actualy talked about baseball. It's certain posters talking about the stupid media driven stuff that doesn't matter. It's wierd.
My mistake...sorry. I have had a lot to think about during the summer concerning the Cubs and the hatred from Sox fans. I will explain it after the Cubs win the World Series this year. Maybe before.

My mistake...sorry. I have had a lot to think about during the summer concerning the Cubs and the hatred from Sox fans. I will explain it after the Cubs win the World Series this year. Maybe before.
then I can talk about all my Cubs buddies wearing Houston jersey's during WS in 2005. y'all forget real easy. I like good baseball which is why I am routing for the Cubs. these guys remind me of the 05 chi sox-finding ways to win. lets see if they can match the post season record- I hope they do.

Well, I hope the Cub fans are ready to finally see this team go to the World Series because that is exactly what is going to happen. The Cubs will knock the Mets out in six games. They will win one of the first two in New York...come back to Wrigley where they will win two out of three and then go back to New York and win game six.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT