ADVERTISEMENT

#1 team?

The Outfit

Dec 15, 2015
forgive being so naive.

with LWE #3 and Loyola #2 who is the top pick for #1?? i havent kept up with my daily readings in suntimes?

what am i missing

forgive being so naive.

with LWE #3 and Loyola #2 who is the top pick for #1?? i havent kept up with my daily readings in suntimes?

what am i missing
naaaaazzzzz!!
A top QB in the country, a big 10 lineman, lots of skill guys...Ok with Suntimes having roadrunners #1
It just sets up a nice end of season argument if Loyola, LWE Or Maine South go undefeated and Naz does as well for states top spot.

I think Edgy’s got it right. Great day to be a Rambler!
Maine South guy married to a Loyola girl...and I think you are right.
I think coach Inserra and Maine South staff is one of the best in the country, but Coach Holecek and Loyola Academy staff is probably the best staff in Illinois and coaches up kids as good as anybody!

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50
top coaching staffs; this was more than a one or two man show. This was top to bottom observations

back in the day

Mt Carmel- stacked with former HC's and alum
Richards- Gary had incredible coordinators
Providence- top to bottom Seffner used to talk highly of his entire staff
Sacred Heart- Another guy who is the lightening rod but has sharp guys around him
Joliet Catholic (Gordie Era)
JCA (Stone through Sharpe)
LW Central (Gliemi Era)
LW East (Zvonar would be the first to tell you he doesnt do it alone!)

Very true.

I think that changes this year and I wish they could petition up.
No one could ever say that they dodged any team. Not being able to petition up is so stupid, especially if those kids and coaches want to do it. The last 2 seasons MC was on the right side at the end of the games but got everything. They could handle and more from East Side.

Maine South guy married to a Loyola girl...and I think you are right.
I think coach Inserra and Maine South staff is one of the best in the country, but Coach Holecek and Loyola Academy staff is probably the best staff in Illinois and coaches up kids as good as anybody!
Im going to have to call Yuz out Mat on this one. I’m suggesting Inserra and his crew get the best of the Hollywood gang in an even up contest.
Just sayin...

Reactions: WIU78
Talent does not always equate to team, but if East Side gels, they are going to be TOUGH!

The Super 30 is only for seniors - ESL has four on the list, the top three going to the SEC and number 4 being recruited by Big 10 schools.

POST-DISPATCH SUPER 30
No. 4: Johnson** eager to join recent ring party at East St. Louis

No. 10: East St. Louis' Spraggins raises recruiting profile

No. 13: Billingsley learns the ropes at East St. Louis

No. 15: Healthy Powell prepared to break out at East St. Louis

** Rivals ranks him as the top prospect in Illinois and the No. 5 safety in the nation

The only other IL player to make the list is No. 26:
Granite City's Edwards eager to flash passing skills

Reactions: flyerforlife
Agree
Kinda a no brainer. 8A is loaded.
Surprise surprise look at the 8a teams followers saying an 8a team should be #1.

So let’s ESL goes thru their schedule undefeated and manhandles everyone. At the same time the 8a champ loses 3 games and goes to OT with Ignatius. You want me to believe it’s cut and dry that the 8a Champ is the #1 team?

Surprise surprise look at the 8a teams followers saying an 8a team should be #1.

So let’s ESL goes thru their schedule undefeated and manhandles everyone. At the same time the 8a champ loses 3 games and goes to OT with Ignatius. You want me to believe it’s cut and dry that the 8a Champ is the #1 team?

Or if the 8a champ loses to a 5A team?;)

Thank goodness

ahhh. Yes.

Or if the 8a champ loses to a 5A team?;)

Very good point! However, the LA squad that went on a tear in the play-offs was a completely different team than when they lost those three games. (I'm sure you can find a few games that prove your point with healthy 5A teams beating healthy 8A teams, though)

At the end of the day, there are classes for a reason. If the 8A champ happens to go undefeated and win state, they deserve #1. However, in almost any other circumstance, it's up for debate!

Regarding end of season rankings, Naz's whooping at the hands of Marist last season would make #1 questionable (don't recall what Edgy had them at). Regarding pre-season rankings, their new addition at WR & JJ make #1 reasonable.

All.... The Associated Press poll is out. I imagine there will be some comments regarding it. In 5A they have ESL and JCA in a tie at #1. I found the complete listings (after answering a bunch of stupid questions) at the herald-review.com. (out of Decatur) Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... The Associated Press poll is out. I imagine there will be some comments regarding it. In 5A they have ESL and JCA in a tie at #1. I found the complete listings (after answering a bunch of stupid questions) at the herald-review.com. (out of Decatur) Ratsy
Those ratings are obviously based on some piss-poor dart throwing combined with possible historic data.

Reactions: USD24
Classes get better as they go up. But in the case where there was a heads up matchup between two champs I'd tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the winner. In 2010 WWS demolished MS in non conference play. Both went on to win championships, nod goes to 7A WWS.

Last year had Montini won they would def have an argument over Loyola, but at the same time Loyola beat the #1 team and survived the most treacherous terrain.

As I said before there's always that request up form. Even ESL stops at 7A. Even the 7A runner-ups lost to a 8A first round exit. I'm cool with letting the classes speak for themselves. 5A teams aren't supposed to look like 8A teams and they're not bad if they don't.

Very good point! However, the LA squad that went on a tear in the play-offs was a completely different team than when they lost those three games. (I'm sure you can find a few games that prove your point with healthy 5A teams beating healthy 8A teams, though)

At the end of the day, there are classes for a reason. If the 8A champ happens to go undefeated and win state, they deserve #1. However, in almost any other circumstance, it's up for debate!

Regarding end of season rankings, Naz's whooping at the hands of Marist last season would make #1 questionable (don't recall what Edgy had them at). Regarding pre-season rankings, their new addition at WR & JJ make #1 reasonable.
It was the same team actually.

Classes get better as they go up. But in the case where there was a heads up matchup between two champs I'd tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the winner. In 2010 WWS demolished MS in non conference play. Both went on to win championships, nod goes to 7A WWS.

Last year had Montini won they would def have an argument over Loyola, but at the same time Loyola beat the #1 team and survived the most treacherous terrain.

As I said before there's always that request up form. Even ESL stops at 7A. Even the 7A runner-ups lost to a 8A first round exit. I'm cool with letting the classes speak for themselves. 5A teams aren't supposed to look like 8A teams and they're not bad if they don't.
ESL stops at 7A because Sunkett truly believes that 7A has the best talent. And I for one don’t blame him. Besides Loyola, LWE & Maine South....I don’t see any big competition. ESL is not a 5A team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT