ADVERTISEMENT

WSS Wk 1

kitty_bintingot

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2017
Here we go again. I'll be keeping track of everyone's picks this year. Best record wins the Kitty Cup. Lots of exciting match ups here for the WSS in this Wk 1 of the fall 2019 year.

Naperville Central @ Hinsdale Central

NC loaded with Power 5 talent and deep. Both senior and junior classes have had lots of success. They're cream of the crop DVC. But HC can't be written off too easily. Lot of seasoned players back plus new junior QB promising to turn heads. Both offensive lines seem to be unproven thus question marks till further notice. Smart money on NC but I'm way too much a homer. Here's to hoping HC can run the ball like last year and keeps that Power 5 offense off the field: NC 31 HC 33

Maine South @ Glenbard West

GW going with soph QB, plus will be young at the WR positions. The GW dark side is supposed to be good, but still, gotta give MS the nod: MS 24 GW 14

OPRF @ WV

OPRF brings back more than I'd thought, about same as WV. McGill hyped as one of the area's best QBs (he'll also be at DB) with D1 recruit Naz Bryant returning at RB. They also bring back two solid hogs. That OP read option is gonna be a hair-puller for a lot of D-coordinators. If McGill's arm improved, watch out. This all to say nothing of Horester and his staff. I'd like to know more about this year's WV squad from @VodooTatum before picking this one, but right now I'm inclined to think OP avenges their close loss from last year: OPRF 24 WV 17

DGN @ Buffalo Grove

There's some excitement about DGN. Cassens is hyped and will be on both sides of the ball (same as McGill and Tumility). Lots of experience on both sides, gritty kids who grew up playing BGYFL. I think they come out with a big win and put the WSS on notice: DGN 44 Buffalo Grove 0

York @ Schaumburg

Coach Fitz brings back the biggest and most experienced o-line in the WSS. Good line play and good coaching can go a long way. York also brings back a gutsy RB who got a lot of playing time last year. But there are big question marks at QB and on D. Here's to hoping the Dukes get off on the right foot in trying to reach the 8A playoffs again: York 24 Schaumburg 23

LT @ New Trier

There's excitement at LT with Hartman and some trusted assistants running the program. Not unreasonably: it didn't take long to turn around EP, and he was close to busting HC into the quarters last year. So who knows? On the same breathe NT returns only 5 players from last year's squad. Good news for LT. I think this one is close but give NT the nod: LT 14 NT 20

Proviso West @ Bolingbrook

Tough wk1 for the Panthers. I see a big win for the Brook to kick off 2019: PW 12 BB 49

Each week I'll add a WSG GOW that will count towards everyone's picking records. Clearly Wk 1 WSG GOW is

Providence Catholic @ Willobrook

Provi brings back nearly its whole squad that went 5-5 last year. They promise to have a ferocious hogs, plus stud TE and QB (I've at least heard as much). Reason might say Provi. But I'm not sure of a grittier squad than what I've seen out of Villa Park the past few years. This year should be no different, and I can't see why Tumility and co shouldn't get a slight nod: PC 27 WB 28

All thoughts comments questions welcomed.

Go WSS. And go Warriors, beat Provi.

Red Hawks
Red Hawks
Huskies
Trojans
Saxons
Trevians
Raiders
Celtics

West Suburban needs to prove it in the playoffs until I have faith in any of them.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
Here we go again. I'll be keeping track of everyone's picks this year. Best record wins the Kitty Cup. Lots of exciting match ups here for the WSS in this Wk 1 of the fall 2019 year.

NC loaded with Power 5 talent and deep. Both senior and junior classes have had lots of success. They're cream of the crop DVC. But HC can't be written off too easily. Lot of seasoned players back plus new junior QB promising to turn heads. Both offensive lines seem to be unproven thus question marks till further notice. Smart money on NC but I'm way too much a homer. Here's to hoping HC can run the ball like last year and keeps that Power 5 offense off the field: NC 31 HC 33

GW going with soph QB, plus will be young at the WR positions. The GW dark side is supposed to be good, but still, gotta give MS the nod: MS 24 GW 14

OPRF @ WV

OPRF brings back more than I'd thought, about same as WV. McGill hyped as one of the area's best QBs (he'll also be at DB) with D1 recruit Naz Bryant returning at RB. They also bring back two solid hogs. That OP read option is gonna be a hair-puller for a lot of D-coordinators. If McGill's arm improved, watch out. This all to say nothing of Horester and his staff. I'd like to know more about this year's WV squad from @VodooTatum before picking this one, but right now I'm inclined to think OP avenges their close loss from last year: OPRF 24 WV 17

DGN @ Buffalo Grove

There's some excitement about DGN. Cassens is hyped and will be on both sides of the ball (same as McGill and Tumility). Lots of experience on both sides, gritty kids who grew up playing BGYFL. I think they come out with a big win and put the WSS on notice: DGN 44 Buffalo Grove 0

York @ Schaumburg

Coach Fitz brings back the biggest and most experienced o-line in the WSS. Good line play and good coaching can go a long way. York also brings back a gutsy RB who got a lot of playing time last year. But there are big question marks at QB and on D. Here's to hoping the Dukes get off on the right foot in trying to reach the 8A playoffs again: York 24 Schaumburg 23

LT @ New Trier

There's excitement at LT with Hartman and some trusted assistants running the program. Not unreasonably: it didn't take long to turn around EP, and he was close to busting HC into the quarters last year. So who knows? On the same breathe NT returns only 5 players from last year's squad. Good news for LT. I think this one is close but give NT the nod: LT 14 NT 20

Tough wk1 for the Panthers. I see a big win for the Brook to kick off 2019: PW 12 BB 49

Each week I'll add a WSG GOW that will count towards everyone's picking records. Clearly Wk 1 WSG GOW is

Provi brings back nearly its whole squad that went 5-5 last year. They promise to have a ferocious hogs, plus stud TE and QB (I've at least heard as much). Reason might say Provi. But I'm not sure of a grittier squad than what I've seen out of Villa Park the past few years. This year should be no different, and I can't see why Tumility and co shouldn't get a slight nod: PC 27 WB 28

All thoughts comments questions welcomed.

Go WSS. And go Warriors, beat Provi.

Red Devils
Red Hawks
Huskies
Trojans
Dukes
Trevs
Raiders
Willowbrook

Absolutely zero confidence in these picks, but glad to see someone stepping up to do a conference preview.
Nap Central over Let's-Drop-Football Central.
Hitters over the Hittees.
Broad-Lawns-Narrow-Minds over the Valley.
Debbie Downers over the Grove.
York over the Mall.
LT over NT.
Brook over PW.*
Brook over PC.

* running clock

Naperville Central at Hinsdale Central:
HC is going to be good this year. They return some solid players at key positions. But on paper NC just seems to have a real shot being very, very good. NC 35- HC 24

Maine South at Glenbard West:
Glenbard West will definitely reload and will be a typical very good GBW squad. MS also will reload the way few teams can and be strong as usual. I think it will be closer than the last couple of years, but same result. MS 28- GBW 24

OPRF at WV:
This is the best OPRF team in a few years and they have a legitimate chance at winning the conference and going deep into the playoffs. Revenge for last year's loss will be had. OPRF 31- WV 21

DGN at Buffalo Grove:
A lot of praise being thrown around about DGN this preseason. I will start out the season cautiously optimistic. I hope this is the beginning of a great season for the Trojans. The first game is not the biggest test they will face however, so DGN 38- BG 14

York at Schaumburg:
York returns a stellar offensive line, top rusher from last year, and a really good receiver. Defense is a big question mark. Schaumburg has a few really good returning players coming back as well at WR, RB and QB (converted WR). I think this one is won in the trenches. York 21- Schaumburg 14

LT at New Trier:
New coach and impressive numbers coming out for the Lions. This is the beginning of the turn around. Key word is "beginning". The Trevians are a tough test for a new system and a team coming off of a 1-8 year. NT 38- LT 21

Proviso West at Bolingbrook:
Ouch. Tough game for the out-manned PW. Bolingbrook's inaugural game on the new turf should be a one-sided affair. Bolingbrook 45- PW 14

Providence at Willowbrook:
I'm a big believer in what Willowbrook has been doing. "The whole is greater than the sum of the parts." seems like it was written about this team. But, having been to more than a few linemen challenges this summer, Providence is very impressive. This team can just dominate at the line of scrimmage. Depth is an issue (like it is for most teams). But their starting lines are just technically sound and strong. I think Willowbrook falls short in this one. Providence 24- Willowbrook 21

I'm so happy to have this thread back. Keep this conference alive and kill district play!

So....week 1...here we go:

Don't care about "loaded with Power 5 Talent". NC has no O-Line and a weak and young defense. HC, as I've now know is more solid across the board. New Coach for HC? Doesn't matter....he's good.

HC 35 - NC 21

GW, despite my bashing, will win this game. Playing at home...playing this team (again) that has destroyed them week one for the past two years might have brought some wisdom to GW. GW will throw 10 passes the entire game. MS has to rebuild and isn't real solid with this class.

GW 17 - MS 14 (yes...only 14)

OPRF @ WV

WV Paul Murphy ALWAYS finds a way to win. OPRF actually reminds me of NC. Great couple of players, but a bit of an overhaul. This game is on the grass at WV.

WV 21 - OPRF 17

DGN @ Buffalo Grove

Cassens 35 - BG 7

York @ Schaumburg

The name of the game in High School Football is "Line-Play". York might have one of the best in the state (Wall and Mathiason are D1 kids...and not nice on the field). But, Schaumburg brings back almost 3 times more starting players. The worst thing for York is to throw the ball. York has to keep that defense off the field until they mature. If it's 3 and 15 for York.....RUN THE BALL. Schaumburg has a great Head Coach and experienced staff. York has to reload with 16 new faces. With all of that:

York 77 - Schaumburg 0 (sorry....York 27 - SHS 24)

LT @ New Trier

My upset special of the week. NT lost everyone - LT got everyone back, not to mention the bonus of a Great new HC and an experienced staff that took its lumps.

LT 28 - NT 14

PW has the toughest schedule in the entire state (almost anyway)

Brook 63 - PW 7

Coaching wins this game. Respectfully to PC's staff, there isn't a better coached team in the state than WB over the past five years.

WB 20 - PC 17

Naperville Central 28, Hinsdale Central 21 - Actually like the Red Devils' potential, but Nap Central is a tough draw for an opener.

OPRF 35 Waubonsie 28 - Jaden McGill and the Huskies' offense carries the day as young defense will take some lumps

GW 24 Maine 21 - Hitters gain revenge for the Demolition at Duchon Hawks administered two years ago

DGN 28 Buffalo Grove 14 - Cassens and Trojans get 2019 off to a nice start

York 31 Schaumburg 21 - Dukes show off strong balance offensively in debut

New Trier 28 LT 20 - Lions look better with new coach Dan Hartman, but like HC, draws a challenging team for opener - and this one's in Winnetka

Bolingbrook 56 Proviso West 6 - Panthers in for long night at The Brook

Willowbrook 31 Providence 24 - Warriors make major statement with win over traditional Catholic League power

Great write up!

Hinsdale Central 38-35
Glenbard West 28-21
WV - 17-14 as a WV alum, I’d like them to beat OPRF.
DGN 24-17
York 13-0
New Trier 21-14
Bolingbrook 42-6
Willowbrook - Having a sophomore and varsity player on Willowbrook, I’d be disowned if I thought anything else.... ( Wb sophs win 22-20. Varsity 35-31)

Good luck everyone! May the kids stay healthy and we get some great football!

Observations:

1-what happened to all the talent? What a massive difference in play from one season to the next.
2-WV isnt the best team oit there, but very well coached.
3-OPRF 1 of 14 passing, 5 yds, 2 ints, 1 fumble. This isn't a good team
4-HC is a good team, but NC has also proven to be a fraud.
5-limited offensive reps equals bad offensive results. This limited contact, with inexperienced players equals limited production for many teams. That will turn arouund now that the season is here.
6-Dammit Willowbrook (see #5 above)
7-LT good start, but gotta finish. New Trier is well coached.
8-York- Despite poor play calling (28 straight plays to the right side), lack of Head Coach Oversite and no QB plsy, you pulled out a win that Schaumburg shouldve had. A win is a win...playoffs just became a reachable goal, especially how bad OPRF is. Go Dukes.
9- DGN woke up and played like a top team.
10-PW - thanks Bolingbrook. You were kind.

Seriously, what happened? Got a frosh game at 930am. It wont be pretty as the drop off continues.

I was at Waubonsie, they're going to be competitive, I think, in their conference. I did notice a bunch of miscues on offense where the QB turns to give the handoff and he turned to the wrong side. Other than that I think they were how you described. That #5 had some wheels on him, at least early, but was slowed down once the game settled in.

OPRF I think will be alright once they get consistent. For two drives there on offense they looked explosive, but lost the intensity and playcalling that got them the drives. They'll clearly need to improve the passing game because judging by last night HC is not playing and we can assume the same about GBW. This game against Willowbrook will be very important.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT