ADVERTISEMENT

Will some recent college issues seep into IHSA football?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
The two things off the top of my head.....online sports gambling and also Name Image and Likeness.

Online legal sports gambling is truly exploded and seems to be overtaking the entire sports landscape....especially from an advertising/sponsorship standpoint. Could we see some attempted foray into high school sports? I can't imagine that happening or ever being allowed....then again I never thought I would see legal weed etc either.

Also the whole Name Image and Likeness...which in many ways begins at the high school level. Heck I've had many people tell me that a lot of kids NIL begins at this site for many years now. Can we see kids/parents getting more "involved" and more "hands on" and especially those at the very top tier of talented kids....I mean I'm already hearing from others wanting to discuss the issue and how my "role" could greatly benefit etc.

Can we see more issues/involvement and distractions along with more "outside" influence at the high school level with NIL?

Would love to hear your thought here.

Currently you can’t gamble on in state college games only professional so unless they change the law I don’t see gambling coming HS sports. The NIL thing will be here within a year once people figure out how to use the new rules.

Bigger question if NIL were to take some shape or form in HS - how would recruiting and illegal recruiting be affected? Would this turn IL hs football into the wild wild west where whosever local car dealership can pay the highest NIL to recruit kids? The recruiting potential issues are why i dont see NIL coming to ihsa.

Edit talking HS/grade school recruiting, not college just to clarify.

Not immediately, but don't be surprised if at a future date, sports gambling and NIL seep into HS sports. What is socially permissible today would have been thought to be outlandish decades ago.

Reactions: forlouann
Currently you can’t gamble on in state college games only professional so unless they change the law I don’t see gambling coming HS sports. The NIL thing will be here within a year once people figure out how to use the new rules.
That's the case just on Illinois though, I believe.

NIL, to my knowledge, isn't banned. Any athlete can get a job...some work fast food, some work retail, some lifeguard at the local beach/ pool. High school kids can be actors or models, so I'm at a loss as to why it isn't currently allowed? Were kids kicked off the swimming team because they were lifeguards during the summer?

Prior to the internet, this really wasn't an issue. If a business wanted to use high school sports for advertising, they took out an ad in the program or wall schedule, did signage in the stadium / gym, put a "Go Panthers" in their newspaper ad. Then they started doing naming rights for stadiums, scoreboards, etc. - I in fact sold naming rights (as part if the fundraising scheme) to the high school stadium in 2002 for $100k towards lights & bleachers. You probably weren't going to put the star QB in the ad, however. But now? The social influencer concept probably means that NIL is going to just keep growing. And its only going to grow. The local pizza place probably will be very happy to give the star QB a free pizza every Friday night after the game since it means he's probably going to bring teammates, fans, cheerleaders, family & friends with...But I dont see it getting to the point of free cars.

And at some point the lack of NIL was going to affect college academics...huh? At some point marketing majors are going to have to put together NIL websites, etc. Media majors are going to have to set up a media campaign for themselves. At some point the limitations were going to start preventing athletes from taking some majors, or some classes in majors. If Joe Student can do his Marketing 350 project and then sell it to a local business, why can't Quin Quarterback do the same? Athletics is part of the high school & college learning experience, not the whole thing...let them get real life experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT