ADVERTISEMENT

Week 0 questions that should have stayed in my head....

Hernandez03

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2023
Week 0 scrimmages..... Are they home and home?

Does one school just lose out on the revenue?

What happens when people start scheduling them and the other school just pulls out the following year when they are on the road?

Were the summer jamborees and scrimmages not enough?

BTW Big fan of the idea but will love to hear coaches opinions in a couple years also adds to the preseason star player gets hurt week 0 but team uses it as motivation story line.

Who says they are not just one year handshake agreements?
Interesting point since in past all schools got something from the inter-team scrimmage assuming they had concessions open.
Again, that assumes they are 2 years agreements.
It is all fluid and maybe we see changes as the summer/week 0 evolve.

Reactions: Hernandez03
Interesting point since in past all schools got something from the inter-team scrimmage assuming they had concessions open.
That's very true! I can absolutely see some of these ADs even pushing to do week 0 on the road maybe for less cost and responsibility of having that event at their home school in some places. Lowering their own overhead.

That's very true! I can absolutely see some of these ADs even pushing to do week 0 on the road maybe for less cost and responsibility of having that event at their home school in some places. Lowering their own overhead.
And maybe if week 1 is a road game to go through prep for a road game...just spit balling.

Would you do an away week zero with your team and have no guarantee of hosting the following year?

I don't think we need to over think this. Just an opportunity for a test drive before week 1 game. I love it.

I don't think the coaches care about hosting, gate fees and concessions for this. Honesty, if I were the host school, I wouldn't charge a gate fee. Probably wouldn't have concessions either.

I haven't heard of the mechanics of the scrimmages but I'd bet they are going to look similar to a D1 spring intersquad scrimmage. No clock and several different situational periods.

Yes, it's a scrimmage so who cares if you have home field advantage? It has no implications on the regular season.
I think he meant as far as school opener and revenue wise. Some schools make a huge deal out of that first week before the game with powder puff and band performances and what have you

I don't think we need to over think this. Just an opportunity for a test drive before week 1 game. I love it.

I don't think the coaches care about hosting, gate fees and concessions for this. Honesty, if I were the host school, I wouldn't charge a gate fee. Probably wouldn't have concessions either.

I haven't heard of the mechanics of the scrimmages but I'd bet they are going to look similar to a D1 spring intersquad scrimmage. No clock and several different situational periods.
I don't necessary disagree coaches probably won't but school admin are a different animal. Also im just bored waiting to watch some high school american football

Reactions: colin2229
All... In the past on the inter scrimmage school game one could watch the freshman, sophomores, and then the varsity play. Likely that is not how it will go this week. I think it would be neat to maybe combine the frosh and sophomores of each of the schools and showcase them as well. Just a thought.... Ratsy

While I'm very interested in seeing how these scrimmages go I think you guys are over thinking it. I don't see these scrimmages having a game night atmosphere or resembling a game at all. As someone else mentioned they will most likely resemble college spring games where offenses and defenses run a set amount of plays and coaches may even discuss what they want to run. I don't think anyone is thinking about the gate, assuming they even charge, or the concessions, assuming they offer them. It's a scrimmage, nothing more.

While I'm very interested in seeing how these scrimmages go I think you guys are over thinking it. I don't see these scrimmages having a game night atmosphere or resembling a game at all. As someone else mentioned they will most likely resemble college spring games where offenses and defenses run a set amount of plays and coaches may even discuss what they want to run. I don't think anyone is thinking about the gate, assuming they even charge, or the concessions, assuming they offer them. It's a scrimmage, nothing more.
As someone else pointed out yes, the coaches aren't thinking about the gate/concessions obviously; but they might be thinking about dress rehearsal (same pre-game routine etc).
But you are damn sure admins are since they would have to staff everything ect.

Again, who says these are two year week 0 agreements?
I understand but why would anyone agree to lose an at home scrimmage (concessions, gate, etc) and not get it in return the next year. Unless some programs just don’t do that.

I understand but why would anyone agree to lose an at home scrimmage (concessions, gate, etc) and not get it in return the next year. Unless some programs just don’t do that.
Because it is new, is every team doing a week 0 game? This is all going to evolve as time moves on.
Maybe schools don't mind not having the hassle of everything that will go into a week 0 scrimmage???

Because it is new, is every team doing a week 0 game? This is all going to evolve as time moves on.
Maybe schools don't mind not having the hassle of everything that will go into a week 0 scrimmage???
Would you agree on an away deal only if you were the coach?

Here is a question for those that might be more in the know. How are these agreements set up between the schools? Anyone know?
From some of the scrimmages being arranged they seem like a phone call/hand shake type deals.

I asked how the agreements were set up, not how they contacted each other….
With this being year 1 I think many of these are just "hand shake" deals. Will be interesting going forward to see how things progress. If things go well between two teams will it be a regular week 0 thing?

Reactions: SiuCubFan8
I asked how the agreements were set up, not how they contacted each other….

Home team pays for workers and Refs, Visiting team pays for their transportation to get to the game. This isn't like the first couple weeks where well off teams pay bad CPS schools a few grand and a bus to come get running clocked.

Reactions: SiuCubFan8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT