ADVERTISEMENT

Stagg frustrations

crazylegs777

Oct 18, 2023
I used to play vs Stagg in my High School Days. Some pretty good teams. It seems like each year they start 2-0 vs lower level competition & have some outstanding players such as the running back this year. Then after their 2-0 start they may sneak in a close game or a win but for the most part get pummeled. It’s frustrating to see. I heard the area has changed as I believe a lot of Hispanic & Middle Eastern go there & they are soccer players for the most part but I just checked & very little Middle Eastern & not even 30% Hispanic so I’m not sure the issue. I think they need to get out of the conference they are in although they tried to get in the conference with Shepard,Argo,Reavis,etc almost like the old Sica North but were denied. Will they ever turn the corner?

Last edited:
I used to play vs Stagg in my High School Days. Some pretty good teams. It seems like each year they start 2-0 vs lower level competition & have some outstanding players such as the running back this year. Then after their 2-0 start they may sneak in a close game or a win but for the most part get pummeled. It’s frustrating to see. I heard the area has changed as I believe a lot of Hispanic & Middle Eastern go there & they are soccer players for the most part but I just checked & very little Middle Eastern & not even 30% Hispanic do not sure the issue. I think they need to get out of the conference they are in although they tried to get in the conference with Shepard,Argo,Reavis,etc almost like the old Sica North but were denied. Will they ever turn the corner?
With regards to leaving the conference I can tell you it is not for lack of trying as anyone familiar with the SWSC is aware of...however there is no interest by the South Suburban or any other conference to my knowledge wanting to take them in, hence the reason why you see games like Lincoln-Way East vs. Stagg from last week. A desire to leave a conference also requires a willing conference to receive a school and as of yet, that doesn't seem to be the case for Stagg. Maybe one day as the neighborhood rivalries against the Argos, Shepards, and Reavis would be good for all involved as evidenced by Stagg's non-conference games the past several years. Stagg's enrollment is about 500-1000 more students than the SSC schools which I think also plays a part in not being invited. Lemont and Stagg would be the obvious switch but Lemont I imagine has no desire to leave a conference where they are guaranteed a playoff birth every year historically since they joined.

Reactions: crazylegs777
With regards to leaving the conference I can tell you it is not for lack of trying as anyone familiar with the SWSC is aware of...however there is no interest by the South Suburban or any other conference to my knowledge wanting to take them in, hence the reason why you see games like Lincoln-Way East vs. Stagg from last week. A desire to leave a conference also requires a willing conference to receive a school and as of yet, that doesn't seem to be the case for Stagg. Maybe one day as the neighborhood rivalries against the Argos, Shepards, and Reavis would be good for all involved as evidenced by Stagg's non-conference games the past several years. Stagg's enrollment is about 500-1000 more students than the SSC schools which I think also plays a part in not being invited. Lemont and Stagg would be the obvious switch but Lemont I imagine has no desire to leave a conference where they are guaranteed a playoff birth every year historically since they joined.
Same with Richards

The SSC has a nice, tight set-up that has been in place close to 20 years now. Every one of the 14 teams split in 2 divisions have non-con openings Weeks 1 & 2, followed by 6 in-division games with 1 annual crossover sprinkled in based upon prior season record. A model of stability comparatively and travel is very manageable. I checked the mileage between Bradley and Dekalb, both members of the same division of the new Southwest Valley to find a 100-mile distance!

The SSC has a nice, tight set-up that has been in place close to 20 years now. Every one of the 14 teams split in 2 divisions have non-con openings Weeks 1 & 2, followed by 6 in-division games with 1 annual crossover sprinkled in based upon prior season record. A model of stability comparatively and travel is very manageable. I checked the mileage between Bradley and Dekalb, both members of the same division of the new Southwest Valley to find a 100-mile distance!

The SSC and WSC are the most stable conferences in the Chicagoland area.

I used to play vs Stagg in my High School Days. Some pretty good teams. It seems like each year they start 2-0 vs lower level competition & have some outstanding players such as the running back this year. Then after their 2-0 start they may sneak in a close game or a win but for the most part get pummeled. It’s frustrating to see. I heard the area has changed as I believe a lot of Hispanic & Middle Eastern go there & they are soccer players for the most part but I just checked & very little Middle Eastern & not even 30% Hispanic do not sure the issue. I think they need to get out of the conference they are in although they tried to get in the conference with Shepard,Argo,Reavis,etc almost like the old Sica North but were denied. Will they ever turn the corner?
Not sure where you checked, but remember Middle Eastern people are classified as "white" by ISBE

Not sure where you checked, but remember Middle Eastern people are classified as "white" by ISBE
This is correct in classifying Middle Eastern in law enforcement as well. But truth be told there is plenty of good football players in the area within Staggs boundaries of Palos, Hickory Hills and Worth, but the majority go to CCL schools, in particular Laurence, Marist and Rice. Some even go farther to MC and Rita. The ones that don’t think they will see the field at those schools go to Stagg. It’s not just Football players, same goes for Basketball, Baseball and Wrestling.

Reactions: kwamizee
This is correct in classifying Middle Eastern in law enforcement as well. But truth be told there is plenty of good football players in the area within Staggs boundaries of Palos, Hickory Hills and Worth, but the majority go to CCL schools, in particular Laurence, Marist and Rice. Some even go farther to MC and Rita. The ones that don’t think they will see the field at those schools go to Stagg. It’s not just Football players, same goes for Basketball, Baseball and Wrestling.

Not only do they lose the top players to the CCL/ESCC schools but the top coaches in that building are coaching at those schools as well. They are in a tough spot with their circumstances and that conference to be competitive.

If anyone wants to be a great program and doesn't want to have LWE, all in the video, winning... come to the SWP

suge knight all in the video GIF

Reactions: Panthers1211
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT