ADVERTISEMENT

St. Francis replacing turf

What’s the story with the field? Reffed there are a few times, but not really from the area.
If you pull the school up on a maps app, you will see Winfield Creek running down from the north just behind the east end zone. It then takes an abrupt right hand turn and runs the entire length of the visitors side very close to the track. I'm guessing the creek was rerouted back in the sixties to make room for the field, which was no big deal at the time as most all of the land north of the school was farm fields.. Now its concrete and the creek becomes a river during heavy rains. Rivers do not like hard right angles. Thus, it overflows onto the field. Also, if you switch to satellite view, you will see to large swampy backwaters behind the creek, indicating lowland conditions.

Reactions: stripes13
How big is the track there? That has to be way more than 400 meters.

Half the Belleau Woods area is a bog
All that land behind the school was probably a bog that was raised with filler to put in the field. Kinda like Duchon that was part of the lake bottom before it was filled in

If you pull the school up on a maps app, you will see Winfield Creek running down from the north just behind the east end zone. It then takes an abrupt right hand turn and runs the entire length of the visitors side very close to the track. I'm guessing the creek was rerouted back in the sixties to make room for the field, which was no big deal at the time as most all of the land north of the school was farm fields.. Now its concrete and the creek becomes a river during heavy rains. Rivers do not like hard right angles. Thus, it overflows onto the field. Also, if you switch to satellite view, you will see to large swampy backwaters behind the creek, indicating lowland conditions.
I happened to look up the satellite view, and there are a couple Titleist at the bottom the creek courtesy of me.

So how is this looking right now?

At 130pm today it was worse than a few weeks back and that was before the big stuff hit late this afternoon. This is the worst flooding I can ever remember in Wheaton.

Well, on the bright side, they potentially have the only crew stadium in the state. New Trier, LA and Lane Tech can’t even claim that.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT