ADVERTISEMENT

Some Upcoming Season Info From What Is Left Of Newspaper Coverage

Kankakee - Shepard and Kaneland - Andrew are a couple interesting non-cons scheduled early in the season.

It covered teams within their circulation areas. What I took away was:
Bolingbrook vs. Minooka week 1.
Joliet West vs. Lockport week 1.
Providence has Willowbrook & Wheaton North weeks 1 & 2.
LWE has Crete-Monee & Naperville Central weeks 1 & 2.
LWC has Buffalo Grove & Lake Park weeks 1 & 2.
Lemont has St. Charles East & Nazareth weeks 1 & 2.
Coal City has Morris & Bishop McNamara weeks 1 & 2.
Morris has Coal City & Antioch weeks 1 & 2 and will play Woodstock, Woodstock North and Marengo in conference play.
Plainfield North vs. Crete-Monee Week 2.
Plainfield South vs. DeKalb week 2.
Providence, Joliet Catholic, St. Laurence and Montini are in the in the Orange Division of CCL/ESCC.
Joliet Catholic does not have a week 1 opponent, plays week 2 @ Cardinal Ritter in St. Louis and when St. Joe’s closed they picked up Crete-Monee for a mid-season game.

Reactions: Gene K.
Wk 1 - Simeon H
Wk 2 - @ Cardinal Ritter
Wk 3 - De La Salle H
Wk 4 - Providence H
Wk 5 - Crete-Monee H
Wk 6 - St. Laurence H
Wk 7 - @ Br Rice
Wk 8 - @ Benet
Wk 9 - @ Montini
I suppose it will break down like this…..
JC should be expected to win: DLS, PC, Laurence
I assume they will be favored- Simeon, Crete, Benet, Montini
Pick em at best, JC likely underdogs -Ritter, Rice

That is my perception with minimal knowledge of what each school has returning.

Hey Edgy. or anyone else in the Edgy-verse, word trickling out around the southside taverns that the Crusaders have hired Coach Eric Taylor from the Dillon Panthers to be Badke's shadow/protege this year......anyone else know anything?

Reactions: EdgyTim
Hey Edgy. or anyone else in the Edgy-verse, word trickling out around the southside taverns that the Crusaders have hired Coach Eric Taylor from the Dillon Panthers to be Badke's shadow/protege this year......anyone else know anything?
I did hear they hired a guy who last coached in TX, but also a couple other states. Wife has IL roots, will be coming into the Catholic League blind. I’m sure he is very well qualified but curious to how the alumni basis will respond as a whole to a guy who doesn’t have CCL roots coaching as it may be a challenge initially with recruiting with not being fimilar with the schools, parishes and league history. We’ll see in 2022.

I suppose it will break down like this…..
JC should be expected to win: DLS, PC, Laurence
I assume they will be favored- Simeon, Crete, Benet, Montini
Pick em at best, JC likely underdogs -Ritter, Rice

That is my perception with minimal knowledge of what each school has returning.
I think 7-2 worst case

They'll be well primed for the 1A playoffs.
WOW you sure can be a sore loser sometimes.

OGC.043c7ce6f2f5e4b83fb67d7dec6b44ec

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

They should do a tournament of Champions after the playoffs. The 1A and 8A Champs play, 2A and 7A, 3A and 6A, 4A and 5A.

Winner of 1v8 against winner of 4v5
Winner of 2v7 against Winner of 3v6
All the way until there is a king of the hill

Reactions: corey90 and Odirty
They should do a tournament of Champions after the playoffs. The 1A and 8A Champs play, 2A and 7A, 3A and 6A, 4A and 5A.

upon further review, not such a good idea

Last edited:

Would be cool if two separate tournaments. Small school and large school, thus avoiding the 1 vs 8 mismatch.

If the privates ever get shipped off from the publics, I’d love to see 3 classes. An open class of the 8 highest ranked teams at the end of the year. Then the large class has 16 teams and the small class has 16 teams. The open class can get an off week when the other two classes are in the round of 16. Would also allow for a week 10 in the regular season for all teams.

All.... Lena-Winslow vs Lincoln Way East. Tickets will be hard to get for that game./s Ratsy

Would be cool if two separate tournaments. Small school and large school, thus avoiding the 1 vs 8 mismatch.

If the privates ever get shipped off from the publics, I’d love to see 3 classes. An open class of the 8 highest ranked teams at the end of the year. Then the large class has 16 teams and the small class has 16 teams. The open class can get an off week when the other two classes are in the round of 16. Would also allow for a week 10 in the regular season for all teams.
Without the 1/8 matchup we wouldn't be able to do the tournament. Is 1/8 really a mismatch? Is 2/7?

Without the 1/8 matchup we wouldn't be able to do the tournament. Is 1/8 really a mismatch? Is 2/7?
Like ratsy was pointing out, who wants to watch Lena Winslow play LWE? Not right to have a truly deserving champion end their career with a 50 point loss that everyone could have predicted ahead of time.

You do 1A vs 4A with winner playing the 2A/3A winner for the small school champ.

Then the 5A vs 8A winner plays the 6A/7A winner for the large school champ.

So just two four team tournaments. If you want at the end, you can have the small school champ play the big school champ.

The 5A champ can beat the 8A champ or 1A can beat 4A at least several times a decade. The 1A champ is probably lucky to beat the 8A champ one time in 100 years. I just don’t see the point of marching an overmatched 1A champ off the plank every year.

I would be in favor of this type of playoff finals but it does make sense to have 8A play champions of 4-5A and up. It’s fun for discussion but sadly I don’t believe we would ever see this happen. 😞

1A vs 8A
Are you serious ? That would be dangerous for the kids just in the fact of players going both ways.
5A vs 6A
7A vs 8A
Winners play
1A vs 2A
3A vs 4A
Winners play
A lot of 8A schools have two way players. I think Maine South is one for example. Also I think you have to go largest vs smallest, so even in your big/small model I'd go 8/5 and 7/6.

With the way Rochester handled Rita I no longer buy the size argument. If it would be okay for the 4A champ to play the 1A champ I don't see why not LWE. Rita that same year beat 7A playoff team Benet and 8A playoff team Niles Notre Dame.

A lot of 8A schools have two way players. I think Maine South is one for example. Also I think you have to go largest vs smallest, so even in your big/small model I'd go 8/5 and 7/6.

With the way Rochester handled Rita I no longer buy the size argument. If it would be okay for the 4A champ to play the 1A champ I don't see why not LWE. Rita that same year beat 7A playoff team Benet and 8A playoff team Niles Notre Dame.

All.... Not so sure about your example. I will revise a bit what I said after the 2019 5A championship game. (by one spot-originally said 5th) Not bad mouthing the Mustangs but they would of finished no better then fourth in the CS8 that year. And would not of beaten the Titans (they went 6A), and a very young Cyclones team and of course the Rockets.

Much of their offense was based on their (then) stud sophomore rb and their lack of a stronger pass defense coming from a team that plays in a pass happy conference spelled trouble.

Their 2020 squad was much stronger as well as SHG. That would of been a fun final to watch. Ratsy

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT