ADVERTISEMENT

Sad Day for JCA football

lesna

Jul 12, 2002
I just read with much disappointment that the website "JolietCatholicFootball.com" will be pulling the plug within the next few months. While this site was not affiliated with JCA, or sanctioned by JCA, it was where JCA fans would go to get info on our school teams, AND JCA football. While not sanctioned by JCA, it was often the place to find out about what was going on at JCA non sports related too. Events at the school, fundraisers, banquets, open houses etc. What a great marketing tool JCA is losing. Think about it - Over 10,000 hits a day about 1 school will now be gone.

I understand that the trouble of dealing with bitching parents about "little Johnny" either NOT getting mentioned for HIS "great accomplishments", or for getting mentioned for something he did do (in a negative context), could be very tiresome and frustrating. Sometimes you can't make everyone happy no matter what you do, and I'm sure the webmaster must have wondered many times if it is even worth carrying on. It appears he has finally reached that point. The bitching, nagging parents finally won!

When the webmaster was forced to pull the message board, I'm sure the traffic to the site went down substantially, and that is a shame. The site was a great source for information concerning Hilltopper football,( rosters, schedules, history, archives, records and a sounding board for Hilltopper fans and opponents alike). I have not seen many sites that cover football at any level rival (no pun intended) the info that was available there in it's heyday.

I encourage any, and all, booster club members of any school to take a few minutes to go to the site, and take note of the layout, and format, and use what was a great site as a template for your school and your team. If you have someone who has the dedication and energy to take on such a task, I'm sure your fans will love it, and that it will become a big part of your school and program.

I also encourage anyone who enjoys the history of High School football in IL (even if you have no affiliation with JCHS or JCA) to go to the site and click on "Hilltopper Football" on the top left side of the site. It talks about the how the school was formed, the changes in the school, and the many changes in football, and the state tournament throughout the years. If you ever played football for or against DLS, JCHS or JCA your team is probably mentioned in the story.

Mike, thanks for all your effort throughout the years, and I hope you realize how much enjoyment you brought to Hilltopper fans of all ages. Your site will be missed.

I feel like a lifelong friend has just died.

All.... A great site for all. As an SHG fan I was welcomed and posted during the forum days.... Sorry to see it go. Ratsy

Very disappointing to hear. Mike did a great job and I really enjoyed the site throughout the years. A lot of great info about the school and football history.

Mike ran a great site. It was truly the first - good - single school site. I know Mike struggled with the decision. Death came when the message board had to shut down. The irony was Mike did in fact have to deal with parents using the board for the a complaining method. Very tough situation. It's funny, all those years finishing second...wow...how terrible of a place to finish.

Winning breads expectations.....we know where that leads to...

Very disappointing indeed. Visited the site many times over the years. It was an excellent source of information. Thanks for all the work, Mike.

that was a cool site, had audio from old games, game clips, lower level results. even divetwin shutdown Morris board which was awesome as well.

How many times was Crossbones kicked off the JCA board?

Appreciate what you have while you still have it.

Mike is a great guy and I'm happy for him while also a bit sad.

I take a bit of happiness in being able to try to help Mike along the way. Back in the original Rivals we hosted that site for him no charge and I believe he is still under that same agreement to this day?

People say they "understand" the hassles but trust me you have no idea.

Try walking in my shoes some day...and Mike is one of the few who actually has an idea of what you have to deal with day in and day out.

Mike:

Sad to see this day come for JC football. As you can see, you made a great and positive impact with your site and you should be proud. I appreciated all the help you gave me also. It was and is a terrific site.

Sometimes other faucets of your life also demand the time and efforts that you put into a labor of love. Which makes it harder to give up something that is enjoyed by many others, as you feel a responsibility to continue.

Great job over the years! Was a highlight for prep football followers in Illinois. Good luck!

Mike,

What ride! Thanks for all of the thrills and the great memories.

Your site will be missed by many across Hilltopper Nation and beyond.

I guess with all of the new free time we'll now find you playing checkers on the pickle barrel down at the General Store.

Peace,
penlight

The wayback machine has some older crawls of it. I sent an email to request they crawl soon to get a recent snapshot to preserve the text on the site (and hopefully some of the image assets too). I grabbed as full of a mirror as I could tonight and I'll put it up soon somewhere as a .zip for the community.

I'm not a JCA alum, but it's sad to see local history disappear.

Here's a zip file archive of the site: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-EdMjG15aT9VFlKNldIRndJUG8/view?usp=sharing

Please contact me at emidln@gmail.com if this archive needs to be taken down.

Always loved the site. Sorry to see it go. Thanks for all you did to promote football in the Joliet area...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT