ADVERTISEMENT

Refs feeling unappreciated

It’s a real problem in many cases. A shortage of bodies is the biggest challenge. I have a number of weeks where I will be doubling up on Friday nights.

I think we are one step from just single games on Friday nights due in large part to shortage of officials. Not entirely a bad thing but it’s heading that way.

Pay is something else. Illinois is one of the lowest paid states for officials in football. Considering all the factors I would think football should be much higher paid.

The popular My Sisters Lil Donut Shoppe in Oswego closes Friday after almost 10 years due to inability to find workers. Just sayin' ...

Last edited:
The popular My Sisters Lil Donut Shoppe in Oswego closed Friday after almost 10 years due to inability to find workers. Just sayin' ...
I guess if you think it’s not a problem I would offer a striped shirt whistle and flag to you and ask you to be part of the solution. It’s been a huge issue long before the pandemic - just sayin

• Sad
Reactions: johnndoe
I agree that this problem has been growing for years. The difference is, the younger guys I talk to, just don't want to put up with what some of the older guys are dealing with. So, they just aren't interested in doing it. It's not like a person can make a living doing it.

From what I've seen, the older guys complain, but deal with it. Whereas the younger guys just say screw it, and don't bother. Which gives us the average age of an official being 56, as the article states. That's not good.

Reactions: stl705 and Zebra
In a COA meeting last night, special mention was made to the current number of football officials registered in Illinois. According to the IHSA, approximately 1700 officials are currently registered. Arbitor (the game assignment platform), has a lower number at 1575. The more important numbers are a decrease of 675 since the start of the 2019 season of which 350 have left since this time last year. The average age of a football official is 56. This is ONLY going to get worse. Pay and sportsmanship are not as weighing on the older population (we're use to it)...but try recruiting a 20-30 year old confronted with these issues and GOOD LUCK.

And on a side note: Working two games a night gets harder to do physically when you're 50 and older

The popular My Sisters Lil Donut Shoppe in Oswego closed Friday after almost 10 years due to inability to find workers. Just sayin' ...
True Story, I'm heading there Friday. It was mostly kids working there, I'm surprised they can't find anyone. Always thought it was crazy they weren't open on Sundays.

Well one thing helping with the ref shortage is the amount of teams dropping. More and more schools are going to two levels and in some cases one.

when you're 50 and older.
Am I the only runner on this site? My guess is that most referees, like most of the posters here, are former athletes. Doesn't anyone miss the exhilaration of a good run? Intervals like the 100-yard dash don't take up a lot of time.

Imo, the state needs to drastically increase pay to attract younger refs as many people have mentioned. As a 32 year old who has considered becoming an official (but hasn’t) the current pay/time demands just aren’t close to break even for taking time away from family a few nights a week.

Football gates bring in more than enough to significantly raise pay for football officials imo. Maybe tougher for other sports but like everything in amateur athletics - football usually pays for “everything”.

I think it’s extremely likely some conferences move games full time to saturday aftermoons away from Friday nights in the next 5-10 yrs. Unfortunately i don’t think the IHSA, the state, schools, nor athletic directors have come close to trying to recruit new officials.

I’m sorry but a $150 fee waiver on an application or watever the current incentive is, just isn’t seriously trying.

Btw, my dad is an umpire and he’s already booking games for 2022 summer and fall just to show how dire it is to find refs/umps… not that anyone needs a reason to understand ha.

A high school sports story in the Tribune. Stop the presses.

Nice of them to finally catch up on an issue that has been plaguing high school sports for quite a while.

Last edited:
Am I the only runner on this site? My guess is that most referees, like most of the posters here, are former athletes. Doesn't anyone miss the exhilaration of a good run? Intervals like the 100-yard dash don't take up a lot of time.

APPLICATIONS AND ADDED SPORTS​

Q. I would like to become an official. What should I do?
A. To obtain an official’s license with the IHSA you should start by filling out the online application.

Q. How long does it take to become a licensed official?
A. If you pay with a credit card, you will be licensed immediately, but you will be on probation until you have passed the online Part I exam (80% or higher), viewed the online rules interpretation presentation, passed concussion exam, and attended a clinic. Exam and rules presentation starting dates and deadlines are listed on the Officials Calendar. You will also have to pass a criminal background check.

Reactions: Chief321
To be fair, this problem is all sports, not just football. In fact, football is doing better than most. Try finding officials for a JV game in volleyball, lacrosse or wrestling.

To be fair, this problem is all sports, not just football. In fact, football is doing better than most. Try finding officials for a JV game in volleyball, lacrosse or wrestling.
My son had umped house league baseball and softball for a few years. Also did some of my softball "friendlies". He started doing travel "full time" this summer, beginning at $45 game. There were many times that the assignor was short in finding umps and they would email him last minute to fill in. He made $75 game some weekends as the last minute guy.

He had a few Milwaukee guys he umped with multiple times. They would drive down on weekends because there are so many games to do/so few umps, in the Chicago area.

My daughters team had a tournament in Orland Park in July. The umps for our first couple games had drove in from Detroit for the weekend. I don't know if tournament director was adding a per diem or anything? But that's how desperate assignors are to find umps.

I'll add, for any college age "kid" looking to make decent summer money while home from school, I'd definitely try umping. Have to be able to deal with occasionally insane coaches/parents, so not for everyone, but how many summer jobs are paying $22.50/hour and up? In many cases, it's much more. Think my son did about 80 games this spring/summer, and that's with not working much on weekdays because he had a few online summer school classes.

I'll add, for any college age "kid" looking to make decent summer money while home from school, I'd definitely try umping. Have to be able to deal with occasionally insane coaches/parents, so not for everyone, but how many summer jobs are paying $22.50/hour and up? In many cases, it's much more. Think my son did about 80 games this spring/summer, and that's with not working much on weekdays because he had a few online summer school classes.
My brother in-law has been an umpire for 30 years or more and believe me he likes it. He does it on the side for extra bucks. It’s not for everyone but you can make a few extra bucks doing something you like.

A high school sports story in the Tribune. Stop the presses.

Nice of them to finally catch up on an issue that has been plaguing high school sports for quite a while.
Please note that the Sun-Times is already running stories on prep football. The just had an article on Morgan Park. If you want to support the only remaining paper that covers high school football, go their site and subscribe for $29 a year. Plus, their sports section is much better that what remains of the Tribune.

Please note that the Sun-Times is already running stories on prep football. The just had an article on Morgan Park. If you want to support the only remaining paper that covers high school football, go their site and subscribe for $29 a year. Plus, their sports section is much better that what remains of the Tribune.
Quags does an excellent job covering football and other sports at the Herald. Problem is that paper lost its way when it greatly devalued HS sports.

Too many have left and other than Quags, what remains are people that don’t have the passion or dedication to HS sports like in the past.

The Herald’s football previews for its coverage area were second to none. Now we don’t event get that any more. It’s sad where this has gone.

Reactions: jesuit.trained
Have been a ref for 16 years. Get tired of hearing the excuse of “the disrespect refs get is a reason why we’re seeing a lower number of officials”.

Coaches/parents have always been tough on refs. Nothing has changed. Conflict resolution was discussed on Day 1 of “ref training”. It is a vital part of being a ref and can be, at times, equal to knowing the rules.

If you let the parents get to you, that’s a mistake. They don’t know the rules and have a biased opinion. Honestly, 90% of parents have lost their minds when it comes to their kid and sports. But shame on you as an official to let that bother you.

Refs should never escalate a situation. If
You’re getting yelled at, never return it. Coaches get caught up in the Emotion of competition. No you. Need to be a great communicator and deescalatory of conflict.

a sense of humor and being able to have a conversation goes a long way.

Have been a ref for 16 years. Get tired of hearing the excuse of “the disrespect refs get is a reason why we’re seeing a lower number of officials”.

Coaches/parents have always been tough on refs. Nothing has changed. Conflict resolution was discussed on Day 1 of “ref training”. It is a vital part of being a ref and can be, at times, equal to knowing the rules.

If you let the parents get to you, that’s a mistake. They don’t know the rules and have a biased opinion. Honestly, 90% of parents have lost their minds when it comes to their kid and sports. But shame on you as an official to let that bother you.

You’re getting yelled at, never return it. Coaches get caught up in the Emotion of competition. No you. Need to be a great communicator and deescalatory of conflict.

The absolute worst refs/umps are those that start arguing back with fans and coaches.

I will agree, the sports section of the Sun Times is much better than the Trib. Sometimes the Trib doesn't have baseball final scores from games in the Midwest and East, while the Sun Times does. That is unless the game is delayed or runs longer than normal.

But, I wouldn't give you a nickel for the Sun Times news section. It's a joke.

Reactions: Gene K.

This is an excellent post. I have seen several instances of refs and umps doing exactly what you say they shouldn't do.

Nothing burns my ass more than umps and refs who are physically lazy and those who don't know the rules. And there are a lot of them out there. The other thing close behind those examples are the ones who are inconsistent in their calls...namely, calling a strike zone.

But the worst ones are indeed the ones who engage with fans. Those guys are usually bad officials in the first place.

But, that is still no excuse for some of the abuse they take from some parents. Dealing with coaches is another thing. But, this is why I never sat near other parents when my kids played sports. Even if you sit quietly and watch, you'll be connected to those idiots.

As for you comment on 90% of parents losing their minds, I say this. I have been saying for decades, 95 to 98% of parents are NOT objective when it comes to their kids' talent. That's where the problem starts. My first child started to play travel sports about 25 years ago and the last one ended in 2009. In the beginning there were few travel teams and the ones that were out there were good. By the time we got to the end and the last child, a lot had changed. I think the talent in travel sports became so watered down because of parents who weren't objective in their kids' talent. We were lucky to have our last one on a competitive team (which that child wanted) and a team that played against the best talent they could find.

The funniest and dumbest thing I ever saw out of an official came during a girls' softball game. One of our players hit a line drive down the left field line that hit the line. Chalk and grass shot up. The umpire called it a foul ball. One of the coaches about lost his mind and went to the ump to see why in the world he called it foul. The umpire told him it was foul because it hit the left side of the line. You just can't make that stuff up. Dumbest because...well...it was dumb. Funny because all you could do was laugh after he said that.

Reactions: Schwab54
I agree about parents not being objective, however, I've seen coaches in high level travel organizations that will not be honest with their players and parents. When you're paying the money they are asking, that will drive any parent insane.

I agree about parents not being objective, however, I've seen coaches in high level travel organizations that will not be honest with their players and parents. When you're paying the money they are asking, that will drive any parent insane.
It doesn't have to be that way. As an organization, you lay out ground rules before they become a part of the organization. Things that everyone will understand. We never had that kind of a problem in the organizations my kids played in. And they all played competitively. And it wasn't cheap. But, I do understand what you're saying if they change their rules for some. That's never good. Glad we never ran into that.

It doesn't have to be that way. As an organization, you lay out ground rules before they become a part of the organization. Things that everyone will understand. We never had that kind of a problem in the organizations my kids played in. And they all played competitively. And it wasn't cheap. But, I do understand what you're saying if they change their rules for some. That's never good. Glad we never ran into that.
They did lay down ground rules, however, they didn't follow them. Told kids (and parents) things about their development and progress and then didn't follow through during the season with what was being told. The best was No DAD coaches. They had one paid coach, two dads, who were neighbors. Mid-way through the season, we had a new shortstop, then we traveled to Atlanta and one of the dad's brought the neighbor's kid to play CF/P (he wasn't even better than what we had). There are good organizations out there and great coaches, but there are also organizations like this.

I would argue that point about being the "only" paper that covers HIS football.

On a weekend, the Daily Herald usually covers upwards of 20-30 games.

Reactions: ClownBaby
They did lay down ground rules, however, they didn't follow them. Told kids (and parents) things about their development and progress and then didn't follow through during the season with what was being told. The best was No DAD coaches. They had one paid coach, two dads, who were neighbors. Mid-way through the season, we had a new shortstop, then we traveled to Atlanta and one of the dad's brought the neighbor's kid to play CF/P (he wasn't even better than what we had). There are good organizations out there and great coaches, but there are also organizations like this.
That is exactly why I said, if they set rules and don't follow them you have a beef. Best thing you can do is put your kid on another team. All of my kids played on various travel teams. If your kid has talent, he won't have trouble finding another team.

That is exactly why I said, if they set rules and don't follow them you have a beef. Best thing you can do is put your kid on another team. All of my kids played on various travel teams. If your kid has talent, he won't have trouble finding another team.
that was a couple years ago, he did find another team (actually 5 of the kids from that team left and went to the same program). My son never fully joined, because football became a bigger priority. I do know that the five that left are the only 5 from that team playing in college (4 baseball/1 football).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT